U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,414,129 times
Reputation: 1584

Advertisements

Boston's diverse, but most residents and especially tourists will not experience it. Most only see one part of Boston, the shining faced sales reps, and doctors. Yes, Boston has a working class, but it's not part of any culture that's connected with the city center. People love to tout Back Bay, North End, South End, and Beacon Hill when there's a whole other part of the city festering away, and that's what disgusts me about this place. While all cities tend to have poor areas and wealthy ones, Boston's neighborhoods are simply much more homogeneous on the whole. You're either upscale or downscale in this town. I mean, to get a decent taco, I really do have to go to East Boston--it's pretty sad. Yes, Boston is diverse, and it's a beautiful city like I said, but overall it's pretty much just a celebration of mainstream "white culture."

 
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
 
3,942 posts, read 3,855,040 times
Reputation: 2198
The other issues in terms of diversity as a concept largely is that when immigrants come here they at first stay in areas that are populated first. Naturally immigrants are more attracted to cities as that's where the jobs are more clustered. In other words they are attracted to themselves and eventually this compounds. Boston is a heck of a different climate than Haiti. But chances are maybe those that came over might not have been able to afford NYC and ended up in boston. Immigrant communities are more likely to want more of what they are used to at home. If you want to see a good example of this go to Kam Man in Quincy. It's a mini mall targed to Asians. It's actually a very nice place I highly recommend going there if you are planning to go to Asia.

Since the country is already fully developed it's hard to make arguments about diversity because it would be hard to give a preference legally towards demographics. Zoning can be for industry but not what type..so retail/resturants can be ok but if someone were to say western european resturants or only asian that town would be sued big time in court. I think it would be hard for a local government to try to attract diversification without bringing up discrimination later on by other business owners.
 
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
 
171 posts, read 150,949 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWoHowie View Post
People don't view Boston as diverse because all the diversity is on the fringes. Boston proper, (ie Beacon Hill, the West and North Ends, downtown, Back Bay, Fenway, and the South End) has become an almost exclusively upper and upper middle class white population. And Chinatown seems headed in the same direction. All the "diversity" is in Roxbury, Dorchester, East Somerville, East Boston, Jamaica Plain, Chelsea, Everett, Allston. You shouldn't have to go to the outer fringes of a city to experience diversity. Downtown Boston's diversity is this: Yuppies, College Students, and Tourists. Neighborhoods like Chelsea, Dudley Square, and Allston Village are way more interesting AND real then anything downtown.

I've noticed no one has disputed this, and am looking for extra insight on this. So is Boston pretty much a White city that has the minorities outside the heart of the city (downtown and nearby downtown), and then uses this as their claim that their city is diverse, when again, downtown is pretty much majority White?
 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
 
1,030 posts, read 2,013,948 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
I've noticed no one has disputed this, and am looking for extra insight on this. So is Boston pretty much a White city that has the minorities outside the heart of the city (downtown and nearby downtown), and then uses this as their claim that their city is diverse, when again, downtown is pretty much majority White?
If you define Boston as an incredibly compact, center city (defined by the Back Bay, parts of the South End, Beacon Hill and the North End) then - yes - it is incredibly white. But, that certainly doesn't define the city I live in. In the last census, Boston was majority minority. End of discussion.

To suggest that Boston is a "white" city is incredibly myopic and, as one poster said, to imply that areas outside of the white central core are "festering" is to suggest incredible amounts of filtering of information. I live in one of those majority minority neighborhoods and - trust me - my neighborhood is anything but "festering".

And, I might add that Boston is in no way unique. If you define NYC as Manhattan south of 92nd Street and north of Chinatown, you're going to get a very white, affluent view of the city. But, you won't in any way be describing New York. The same can be said of Chicago if you're only looking at the Loop, Near North, and Gold Coast.

I hope this clarifies things for you.
 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
 
171 posts, read 150,949 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
If you define Boston as an incredibly compact, center city (defined by the Back Bay, parts of the South End, Beacon Hill and the North End) then - yes - it is incredibly white. But, that certainly doesn't define the city I live in. In the last census, Boston was majority minority. End of discussion.

To suggest that Boston is a "white" city is incredibly myopic and, as one poster said, to imply that areas outside of the white central core are "festering" is to suggest incredible amounts of filtering of information. I live in one of those majority minority neighborhoods and - trust me - my neighborhood is anything but "festering".

And, I might add that Boston is in no way unique. If you define NYC as Manhattan south of 92nd Street and north of Chinatown, you're going to get a very white, affluent view of the city. But, you won't in any way be describing New York. The same can be said of Chicago if you're only looking at the Loop, Near North, and Gold Coast.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Could this not be somewhat short-minded in and of itself? I mean, in these cities you mention, when you venture into the city proper, you will see different races, while in Boston you have to go into the residential neighborhoods/outside limits of the city to see the different races???
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: a bar
2,545 posts, read 4,860,241 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Could this not be somewhat short-minded in and of itself? I mean, in these cities you mention, when you venture into the city proper, you will see different races, while in Boston you have to go into the residential neighborhoods/outside limits of the city to see the different races???
That's absurd. I work in DTX, and if I step outside my office I'll come face to face with every color, race, nationality and religion imaginable. Infact the majority of my colleagues are either black or latino.
 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,867 posts, read 2,979,013 times
Reputation: 2379
Maybe if this picture never gets taken, Boston doesn't spend the next 35 years trying to live down its reputation as being racist.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Miami Gardens, Florida
71 posts, read 259,750 times
Reputation: 47
Default Boston = Paris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
I've noticed no one has disputed this, and am looking for extra insight on this. So is Boston pretty much a White city that has the minorities outside the heart of the city (downtown and nearby downtown), and then uses this as their claim that their city is diverse, when again, downtown is pretty much majority White?
Interesting, sounds like Paris, France.
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 2,013,948 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Could this not be somewhat short-minded in and of itself? I mean, in these cities you mention, when you venture into the city proper, you will see different races, while in Boston you have to go into the residential neighborhoods/outside limits of the city to see the different races???
You've never been to Boston, have you? Apparently, you're laboring under some 1950s assumption that everyone wears plaid and penny loafers and shops at LL Bean exclusively. There can only be two explanations for this: you're incredibly young and naive and/or you can't process information. I gave you the answer; take it in. There are many, many, many people of all colors and races all over Boston at all hours of the day. Does this clarify that which needs no further clarification?
 
Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,486 posts, read 33,452,987 times
Reputation: 15218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Could this not be somewhat short-minded in and of itself? I mean, in these cities you mention, when you venture into the city proper, you will see different races, while in Boston you have to go into the residential neighborhoods/outside limits of the city to see the different races???
Hello!!! You are forgetting what the definition of a minority race is. Blacks still are only 12% of the general US population. Asians make up only 6%. So how can you possibly expect Boston to be equal parts of white, black and Asian?

I just worked a holiday party at a major accounting firm in Boston. The whole crowd looked very diverse to me, and they were all happily interacting with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top