U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
 
171 posts, read 150,654 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Who the h*ll cares what other people allege? What do you see yourself? I see diversity and I don't pay any attention to what others allege. *shrug*

allegation~ Word choice, word choice, okay issue. And it sounds like you could care less about diversity. Well others do care about seeing a strong diversity in downtown Boston, and not having to go to the neighborhoods to experience it.

 
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM
 
171 posts, read 150,654 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are YOU disappointed that Boston doesn't have a "Harlem"? Because if so, then go to Roxbury or Mattapan. Boston proper is a very small area, much smaller than Manhattan is. Boston proper is more of a business area and high real estate value area, again akin to Manhattan and the expensive areas of Washington DC area like Georgetown.

And in terms of a strong minority presence in Boston, then there is always the Chinatown area of Boston if you seek to be surrounded by minority races.

No, I'm disappointed that I have to go outside of central Boston to experience diversity. And nothing you say directly disputes this.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
7,065 posts, read 10,810,797 times
Reputation: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Semantics at work here, lol. This doesn't address my initial inquiry of there being all colors and races downtown, and I'm not talking about living downtown. All I honestly see this is, is a native trying to defend their city. It seems the only people defending this are people that are biased and live/are from there. People that are even from there, and others who have visited, or whatever tend to disagree with this, so I guess it's your word against theirs, huh?
I don't understand what there is to "defend"?

Btw, if you don't live here, why does this even concern you?
 
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Actually, there are counties in the U.S that are equal parts black white, and latino. Look up Broward County Florida, a tropical hub and a place I used to reside in.
That's all well and good for Broward County, but Boston is a city with a fairly small geographic footprint. Again, if you look at the NYC with all of its boroughs, all of those areas would fit over Boston's surrounding communities like Roxbury, Mattapan, Cambridge, Somerville and Malden where there are many minority communities.

Anyway, from my personal excursions into Boston, I really don't see that Boston is any great white stronghold. If any city is one, Portland, OR is.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
No, I'm disappointed that I have to go outside of central Boston to experience diversity. And nothing you say directly disputes this.
Define "central Boston" please. Are you referring to Boston's financial district? Newbury St? The areas around Columbus Ave and the hospitals around Mass Ave are extremely diverse.

What exactly is it about "diversity" that you need to experience? Is this a visual thing? Or a cultural thing? You want to see graffiti tags on the buildings?

For me, I feel that Boston has a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity. Much more so that the areas in the South that I've traveled to. There are more blacks in Atlanta than in Boston. But again, Atlanta covers a much larger area than Boston. But... I prefer an area with more nationalities represented. Boston has a great variety of Brazilian, Indian and Asian restaurants. In many parts of the US, the only Asian restaurant in town is some fast food Chinese restaurant. But here we also have Koren, Japanese and Vietnamese eateries. Plus our Chinese restaurants have options of Mandarin, Szechuan and Cantonese cuisines. We also have real Jewish delis.

And that leads me to another observation, in Boston, we also have a lot of religious diversity. The South is very much still the Bible Belt and permeated with christians. Every conversation has a few "god blesses" thrown in. And in the South, you can still hear people down there ask if they can "Jew you down" when they attempt to bargain a better price.

And in Boston, we have a very strong gay and lesbian presence. And so I find that while Boston may not look rainbow or brown enough for you, its a place that is much more accepting of non-whites and non-christians than in many places in the US. So... take your repeated claims of lack of diversity and shove it.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
 
171 posts, read 150,654 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Define "central Boston" please. Are you referring to Boston's financial district? Newbury St? The areas around Columbus Ave and the hospitals around Mass Ave are extremely diverse.

What exactly is it about "diversity" that you need to experience? Is this a visual thing? Or a cultural thing? You want to see graffiti tags on the buildings?

For me, I feel that Boston has a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity. Much more so that the areas in the South that I've traveled to. There are more blacks in Atlanta than in Boston. But again, Atlanta covers a much larger area than Boston. But... I prefer an area with more nationalities represented. Boston has a great variety of Brazilian, Indian and Asian restaurants. In many parts of the US, the only Asian restaurant in town is some fast food Chinese restaurant. But here we also have Koren, Japanese and Vietnamese eateries. Plus our Chinese restaurants have options of Mandarin, Szechuan and Cantonese cuisines. We also have real Jewish delis.

And that leads me to another observation, in Boston, we also have a lot of religious diversity. The South is very much still the Bible Belt and permeated with christians. Every conversation has a few "god blesses" thrown in. And in the South, you can still hear people down there ask if they can "Jew you down" when they attempt to bargain a better price.

And in Boston, we have a very strong gay and lesbian presence. And so I find that while Boston may not look rainbow or brown enough for you, its a place that is much more accepting of non-whites and non-christians than in many places in the US. So... take your repeated claims of lack of diversity and shove it.

Restaurants, religion, sexual preference, that's all fine n' dandy, but again, this still doesn't change the fact that all one will see in downtown Boston are Caucasians. I was there for 2 years, and this never changed. I've also spent time in Philadelphia, New York, Washington, saw true melting pot scenarios in these cities downtown areas.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: a bar
2,545 posts, read 4,854,748 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Is this possibly semantics at work here? So if you step outside you're office, and you're still inside your workplace, then the rest of your sentence. If this is what you already meant, excuse my inquiry. And I never did inquire about minorities and employment, due to the fact that once work is over, these minorities could just go back to their neighborhoods, and not be downtown with the exception of leaving and entering their workplace. I'm talking about a strong minority presence in the central area (downtown) of Boston, and again, I'm not talking about living downtown.
You've obviously never been downtown (DTX) because if you had, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
30 posts, read 46,680 times
Reputation: 30
I saw a multitude of different races/colors/personalities during my 4 day trip to Boston! Don't forget that downtown is also a major tourist attraction so the city's true "diversity" is unbalanced by the large tourist presence. My question is this: What defininition of diversity are you looking for???
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
 
3,935 posts, read 3,846,520 times
Reputation: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Restaurants, religion, sexual preference, that's all fine n' dandy, but again, this still doesn't change the fact that all one will see in downtown Boston are Caucasians. I was there for 2 years, and this never changed. I've also spent time in Philadelphia, New York, Washington, saw true melting pot scenarios in these cities downtown areas.
Um...


So religion and sexual preference are not forms of diversity?

I think some of this is a circular argument. If we believe in the idea of a melting pot then that means eventually it becomes homogeneous.

It is a bit harder these days to tell what people are simply by looking at them. For example I know African Americans but I also know people directly from Africa as well as Haiti and Cape Verde. I've met people from a fair amount of the planet and can tell some differences. I can tell the difference between a syrian/lebananese arabic accent from an egyptian one. I can tell the difference between someone from north africa and sub saharian etc. But to do that at a quick glance of a store front, bar or restaurant would be pretty hard to do.

I was mistaken for a foreign exchange student in high school and during a trip to france my classmates and I were mistaken for being German!

I know what it can be like to feel like a minority because I spent some time in China. When you stand out you get attention (wanted and unwanted).

I'd also point out if you want to see diversity by all means find place near the universities. Heck I'd recommend the Middle East in Cambridge granted that can be a younger crowd but it varies on the venue.
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
 
171 posts, read 150,654 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehlybel1984 View Post
I saw a multitude of different races/colors/personalities during my 4 day trip to Boston! Don't forget that downtown is also a major tourist attraction so the city's true "diversity" is unbalanced by the large tourist presence. My question is this: What defininition of diversity are you looking for???

Just seeing races other than White downtown lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top