Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 AM

171 posts, read 218,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
You've never been to Boston, have you? Apparently, you're laboring under some 1950s assumption that everyone wears plaid and penny loafers and shops at LL Bean exclusively. There can only be two explanations for this: you're incredibly young and naive and/or you can't process information. I gave you the answer; take it in. There are many, many, many people of all colors and races all over Boston at all hours of the day. Does this clarify that which needs no further clarification?

Semantics at work here, lol. This doesn't address my initial inquiry of there being all colors and races downtown, and I'm not talking about living downtown. All I honestly see this is, is a native trying to defend their city. It seems the only people defending this are people that are biased and live/are from there. People that are even from there, and others who have visited, or whatever tend to disagree with this, so I guess it's your word against theirs, huh?

Last edited by Macaframalama; 12-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Added a statement.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hello!!! You are forgetting what the definition of a minority race is. Blacks still are only 12% of the general US population. Asians make up only 6%. So how can you possibly expect Boston to be equal parts of white, black and Asian?

I just worked a holiday party at a major accounting firm in Boston. The whole crowd looked very diverse to me, and they were all happily interacting with each other.

Oh, I'm not, I'm simply addressing this allegation that the downtown of Boston is rather void of diversity, compared to places like Philadelphia, New York, Washington. I'm not talking about living in downtown either, just seeing their presence downtown.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
That's absurd. I work in DTX, and if I step outside my office I'll come face to face with every color, race, nationality and religion imaginable. Infact the majority of my colleagues are either black or latino.

Is this possibly semantics at work here? So if you step outside you're office, and you're still inside your workplace, then the rest of your sentence. If this is what you already meant, excuse my inquiry. And I never did inquire about minorities and employment, due to the fact that once work is over, these minorities could just go back to their neighborhoods, and not be downtown with the exception of leaving and entering their workplace. I'm talking about a strong minority presence in the central area (downtown) of Boston, and again, I'm not talking about living downtown.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Could this not be somewhat short-minded in and of itself? I mean, in these cities you mention, when you venture into the city proper, you will see different races, while in Boston you have to go into the residential neighborhoods/outside limits of the city to see the different races???
Chinatown?, DTX, Lower Rox. When did that become the outskirts of the city?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chinatown?, DTX, Lower Rox. When did that become the outskirts of the city?

According to Howie, Chinatown's becoming that way, perhaps you could dispute his claim. Roxbury is a black neighborhood, and if dtx= downtown, then perhaps you could dispute this notion that you have to travel outside downtown/central Boston to find diversity, and I don't mean living downtown.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Boston proper is very diverse. It's only 89 square miles, so it's easy to go from one neighborhood to another on foot without realizing it. The surrounding suburbs are in fact lilley white, but the inner burbs, (ie Medford, Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea) are very diverse.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not, I'm simply addressing this allegation that the downtown of Boston is rather void of diversity, compared to places like Philadelphia, New York, Washington. I'm not talking about living in downtown either, just seeing their presence downtown.
Who the h*ll cares what other people allege? What do you see yourself? I see diversity and I don't pay any attention to what others allege. *shrug*

Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Is this possibly semantics at work here? So if you step outside you're office, and you're still inside your workplace, then the rest of your sentence. If this is what you already meant, excuse my inquiry. And I never did inquire about minorities and employment, due to the fact that once work is over, these minorities could just go back to their neighborhoods, and not be downtown with the exception of leaving and entering their workplace. I'm talking about a strong minority presence in the central area (downtown) of Boston, and again, I'm not talking about living downtown.
Are YOU disappointed that Boston doesn't have a "Harlem"? Because if so, then go to Roxbury or Mattapan. Boston proper is a very small area, much smaller than Manhattan is. Boston proper is more of a business area and high real estate value area, again akin to Manhattan and the expensive areas of Washington DC area like Georgetown.

And in terms of a strong minority presence in Boston, then there is always the Chinatown area of Boston if you seek to be surrounded by minority races.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
because everyone in Boston is white..asian doesn't count, white people love asians

Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hello!!! You are forgetting what the definition of a minority race is. Blacks still are only 12% of the general US population. Asians make up only 6%. So how can you possibly expect Boston to be equal parts of white, black and Asian?

I just worked a holiday party at a major accounting firm in Boston. The whole crowd looked very diverse to me, and they were all happily interacting with each other.

Actually, there are counties in the U.S that are equal parts black white, and latino. Look up Broward County Florida, a tropical hub and a place I used to reside in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston