Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of taking vacation in Boston in January. I have never been to the area in the winter so I am needing info on the weather, activities etc that time of year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Good for you for having the cajones to visit Boston in January. While my personal opinion is that Boston does not get that cold, most-including some locals-are of the mindset that it is absolutely freezing and one must be nuts for deciding to come out during that time of year. I understand that "cold" is relative, but Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and North Dakota it is not.

Highs can be in 40s, and lows in the 20s. The lows can be lower, though, into the teens. There will more-than-likely be snow on the ground, although it may or may not snow while you are here (but I'd count on it). You are obviously going to want to dress warm, and I would suggest to over do it by dressing in layers. It is easier to warm up than cool down, so if you find yourself feeling too hot, you can remove a layer.

The city by no means shuts down (unless there is a blizzard). Aside from some tourist traps, pretty much everything that is open during the summer will be open during the winter.

As far as activities, I guess it depends on what you are into. There is ice skating, sledding (if you can find a good hill), and hockey. You can probably find a sleigh ride, somewhere, too. If you come out, you will see that there are still people out jogging, walking their dogs, walking around, etc. (although a lot of people tend to hibernate at home or in bars).

Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Good for you for having the cajones to visit Boston in January. While my personal opinion is that Boston does not get that cold, most-including some locals-are of the mindset that it is absolutely freezing and one must be nuts for deciding to come out during that time of year. I understand that "cold" is relative, but Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and North Dakota it is not.

Highs can be in 40s, and lows in the 20s. The lows can be lower, though, into the teens. There will more-than-likely be snow on the ground, although it may or may not snow while you are here (but I'd count on it). You are obviously going to want to dress warm, and I would suggest to over do it by dressing in layers. It is easier to warm up than cool down, so if you find yourself feeling too hot, you can remove a layer.

The city by no means shuts down (unless there is a blizzard). Aside from some tourist traps, pretty much everything that is open during the summer will be open during the winter.

As far as activities, I guess it depends on what you are into. There is ice skating, sledding (if you can find a good hill), and hockey. You can probably find a sleigh ride, somewhere, too. If you come out, you will see that there are still people out jogging, walking their dogs, walking around, etc. (although a lot of people tend to hibernate at home or in bars).
Thank you for the info. In the case of winter it sounds like I might freeze my rear off...I'm from Arkansas, we have some winter weather on occasion but nothing to write home about typically. Oh well I'm game for anything at least once. Also it seems to be the best time to come cost wise.

We are hoping to catch some of the typical tourist stuff (Freedom Trail kind of stuff) but would also like to check out some stuff the locals enjoy. We were hoping since it seems close to make a trip to Salem but from what I have read a lot of the attractions/museums seem to close down in January.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
The best thing to do in January actually starts on December 31st - the First Night celebration. The Grand Procession at 5pm on Boylston is just fabulous - assuming no 20 below wind chill factor. Everybody joins in the parade and goes down to the Common for the early fireworks. There are things all over town, and big fireworks at midnight. If the weather is nice - often in the 30's or above - the town rocks. Brutal cold, it's all a flop.

Other than that, BOS is quiet in Jan - Bostonians essentially hibernate, study, work whatever. If it's decent weather a trip to Salem is definitely cool. You can see the witch memorial, get seafood, hot chocolate (never tastes better than in Jan), and many other attractions. There are witch trial plays, the House of Seven Gables, museums (Peabody-Essex is not bad), all around Essex/Derby St is cute as a button. Some pix here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ums-salem.html

Keep in mind Salem is right on the water. Wind chill factor in Jan can be other-worldly.

For BOS, like Kluv said, you may be lucky and catch a mild few days. Be outside from like 1pm - 6pm. Otherwise indoors, try Quincy Market, Fanueil Hall, the Museum of Fine Art is exceptional. Boston's best attraction is the Freedom Trail and all the associated history along the way which is pretty much outdoors oriented. Again, lucky weather will be needed. Other indoor places include the Prudential/Copley Sq malls. Clam Chowder from Legal Sea Foods at the Pru couldn't taste better than on a cold winter's day. The public library is an artwork unto itself. Harvard has little museums too worth a peek. My opin is skip the MOS.

Good luck. If you go, let us know how you fared.

PS: Oh yeah, don't miss the Old Burying grounds on Tremont St in BOS and near the witch memorial in Salem.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 11-27-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
The best thing to do in January actually starts on December 31st - the First Night celebration. The Grand Procession at 5pm on Boylston is just fabulous - assuming no 20 below wind chill factor. Everybody joins in the parade and goes down to the Common for the early fireworks. There are things all over town, and big fireworks at midnight. If the weather is nice - often in the 30's or above - the town rocks. Brutal cold, it's all a flop.

Other than that, BOS is quiet in Jan - Bostonians essentially hibernate, study, work whatever. If it's decent weather a trip to Salem is definitely cool. You can see the witch memorial, get seafood, hot chocolate (never tastes better than in Jan), and many other attractions. There are witch trial plays, the House of Seven Gables, museums (Peabody-Essex is not bad), all around Essex/Derby St is cute as a button. Some pix here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ums-salem.html

Keep in mind Salem is right on the water. Wind chill factor in Jan can be other-worldly.

For BOS, like Kluv said, you may be lucky and catch a mild few days. Be outside from like 1pm - 6pm. Otherwise indoors, try Quincy Market, Fanueil Hall, the Museum of Fine Art is exceptional. Boston's best attraction is the Freedom Trail and all the associated history along the way which is pretty much outdoors oriented. Again, lucky weather will be needed. Other indoor places include the Prudential/Copley Sq malls. Clam Chowder from Legal Sea Foods at the Pru couldn't taste better than on a cold winter's day. The public library is an artwork unto itself. Harvard has little museums too worth a peek. My opin is skip the MOS.

Good luck. If you go, let us know how you fared.
I was thinking of Jan 13-18 but when I checked the info for attractions in Salem and in Boston seems several things were closed so might need to adjust by a few weeks.

Shoot I might let you all know prior to going...so if you see a frozen girl from Arkansas you'll know its me ha ha .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston