U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,017,508 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't Boston have projects? Are there any major US cities without public housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM

383 posts, read 1,148,520 times
hahaha! Yes this is true. Some more then others(example: NYC, Chi-Town, Philly, Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, D.C, ) But i mean Boston has a handful. Most cities have like 1 major one or 2 of them. I saw about five of them and my uncle told me theres a few more.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,013,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
hahaha! Yes this is true. Some more then others(example: NYC, Chi-Town, Philly, Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, D.C, ) But i mean Boston has a handful. Most cities have like 1 major one or 2 of them. I saw about five of them and my uncle told me theres a few more.
Boston is a big city. Boston has quite a few poor people. Boston has lots of housing projects. Boston even has a housing authority (BHA) to take care of them. I hope that clears things up.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 3,852,295 times
I wouldn't exactly call Boston a big city. It's certainly the biggest city in the state and the region..

The problem I see whenever people talk about cities being big or small they aren't saying big or small as what...population or size ? Detroit I have heard is quite large in terms of size but it's only 9th in population in the country.

The concept of a city is really how the local government is structured . Weymouth is a city per what they changed in 1999. The term city used to envision high population but that isn't exactly the case any more.

Simply having a housing authority doesn't mean there's a ton of poor people many towns have housing authorities as well. Just look at Pembroke.
Pembroke Housing Authority

I'd say boston isn't nearly as rundown pretty much because of the flow of things

Basically because schools tend to grab up land if it isn't going to be used. Look at how much of Providence Brown owns...

Cheaper properties could also be bought up by any company doing r&d as an incentive for people to stay in the area.

In all honesty if we had better economic times I wish the state would encourage eminent domain of abandoned buildings for the purposes of development. I wont' say that the government should be involved in housing but public utilities should not be used to defend property if owners abandon it. It puts too much at risk for no real purpose.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,013,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Boston a big city. It's certainly the biggest city in the state and the region..

The problem I see whenever people talk about cities being big or small they aren't saying big or small as what...population or size ? Detroit I have heard is quite large in terms of size but it's only 9th in population in the country.
I don't know; I guess @650,000 is a big city to me. In fact, usually the cut off for "big cities" by demographers is 500,000. The problem I have with posts like yours is that they create fodder for argumentation where none exists.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 44,280 times
Boston does not have very much urban decay. You have some abandoned houses here and there. You also have some abandoned commercial properties, and old factories too. For the most part, Boston at the most has moderate levels of urban decay in small sections. In the overall Boston area though. This can change. Everett, Revere, and Lynn have lots of abandoned industrial buildings, and Lynn and Revere are in some neighborhoods are more rundown than others. This is evident in the neighborhood around the beach in Revere has some pretty poor housing stock and there are many boarded up or run down commercial buildings around that area too. Lynn also has neighborhoods that have a lot of litter, abandoned lots and rundown industrial buildings, and the roads are in horrible shape, but the overall housing quality in Lynn is in good shape along with the rest of the Boston Area. Boston and its surroundings probably have some of the best housing stock in the the United States.

Now, there are many other towns and cities in Massachusetts where this isn't the case and you have some truly rundown areas, but this is a topic for another time.

And I just realized I posted to a forum 5 years old

Old 06-07-2016, 08:42 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,944,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
I know Boston has to have hoods. Mabe nothing like NYC, Philly, B-more, or NJ but they do. I have and uncle who lives in georgetown but works in downtown boston, and one day he let me get the whip and i drove around and saw that Boston has grimy areas. They also have alot of Projects. I never knew Boston had projects.
i know this is old but i thought it was too comical to pass up. dont all cities have to have subsidized housing for those that are not capable of affording it themselves. if not federally mandated, how else would a city of about a million people be able to justifiably house those (maybe 5%) that are elderly/handicapped and cant work; or those that can work but dont have skills and have young children. is boston some sort of magic city where everyone is between 18 and 55 and can afford housing for themselves and their families ?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM

7,890 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey1970 View Post
Boston does not have very much urban decay. You have some abandoned houses here and there. You also have some abandoned commercial properties, and old factories too. For the most part, Boston at the most has moderate levels of urban decay in small sections. In the overall Boston area though. This can change. Everett, Revere, and Lynn have lots of abandoned industrial buildings, and Lynn and Revere are in some neighborhoods are more rundown than others. This is evident in the neighborhood around the beach in Revere has some pretty poor housing stock and there are many boarded up or run down commercial buildings around that area too. Lynn also has neighborhoods that have a lot of litter, abandoned lots and rundown industrial buildings, and the roads are in horrible shape, but the overall housing quality in Lynn is in good shape along with the rest of the Boston Area. Boston and its surroundings probably have some of the best housing stock in the the United States.

Now, there are many other towns and cities in Massachusetts where this isn't the case and you have some truly rundown areas, but this is a topic for another time.

And I just realized I posted to a forum 5 years old
I walk through a pretty shabby area of Brighton every day enjoy route to Cambridge. At North beacon and market and North of there, along western ave too is pretty bleak.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:00 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,920,076 times
Boston was "white people and Jews"?? That's outrageously racist.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:01 PM

187 posts, read 141,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I walk through a pretty shabby area of Brighton every day enjoy route to Cambridge. At North beacon and market and North of there, along western ave too is pretty bleak.
There are a couple of rougher areas of Somerville and Cambridge but they overall are not that bad compared with most other cities even in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston