U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,827,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Looks like the Autobahn USA site won't be vacant for long.

The boarded up "house" is the Charles River Speedway Administration Building, a designated landmark. As of August 2014 a developer had been selected to renovate the main building as non-profit office space and building a new residential building where the garages are.
Both have been empty for a very long time and show no signs of anyone having ever been anywhere near them in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
"Problem" solved!
You can never stand to be even slightly wrong about anything can you? Very off-putting. LOL "well, that one part of Western Ave doesn't count." Brilliant insight! When you don't look at the dumpy parts, every city looks good! Wonderful!

Nobody really wants to live in that area. It's pretty bleh. If it's so nice, why don't you move in?

Give me a break.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 747,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Both have been empty for a very long time and show no signs of anyone having ever been anywhere near them in years.
530 Western Avenue was just approved by the BRA on May 23 with construction expected to start this summer. Autobahn USA was there until 2013.

The DCR building is obviously a more complex project, but as noted on the project website the developer hosted hot yoga at the site in the fall and plans more community events. And there are no boarded up houses behind it.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
530 Western Avenue was just approved by the BRA on May 23 with construction expected to start this summer. Autobahn USA was there until 2013.

The DCR building is obviously a more complex project, but as noted on the project website the developer hosted hot yoga at the site in the fall and plans more community events. And there are no boarded up houses behind it.
I think the "houses" I mentioned are just part of the same thing, my bad.

Hot yoga. Well, now the world is saved!

But regardless, none of that changes the fact that the path I've been walking for a long time now, is ugly. And I wouldn't want to live there. It's just not nice.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
Quote:
You can never stand to be even slightly wrong about anything can you? Very off-putting. LOL "well, that one part of Western Ave doesn't count." Brilliant insight! When you don't look at the dumpy parts, every city looks good! Wonderful!

Nobody really wants to live in that area. It's pretty bleh. If it's so nice, why don't you move in?

Give me a break.

Well when I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. One block doesn't' make for blight. That's an idiotic perspective. That whole street is pretty well developed or under construction. That is not blight. That's not dumpy.

It's one block. I'd move in there in a second if it was good for my commute and in my price range. Absolutely. Good location. I used to live only a little bit up beyond the old Hogan's Run toward Brighton Center. Great place to live.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well when I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. One block doesn't' make for blight. That's an idiotic perspective. That whole street is pretty well developed or under construction. That is not blight. That's not dumpy.

It's one block. I'd move in there in a second if it was good for my commute and in my price range. Absolutely. Good location. I used to live only a little bit up beyond the old Hogan's Run toward Brighton Center. Great place to live.
Yeah ok, I actually live in Brighton Center. I notice a huge difference. Brighton Center: things! Bars! Restaurants! People!

The area in question: Irish Village? Like 4 blocks away. Tedeschi? The majority of crime in 02135?

It's easy to say you'd move somewhere when there is no legit possibility of that happening.

but hey what do I know, I've only lived in Brighton for 4 years and walk through the area every single day. So not a lot to go on compared to you in Somerville and never spending time in Brighton, but well, you lived nearby once a long time ago. Great story.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah ok, I actually live in Brighton Center. I notice a huge difference. Brighton Center: things! Bars! Restaurants! People!

The area in question: Irish Village? Like 4 blocks away. Tedeschi? The majority of crime in 02135?

It's easy to say you'd move somewhere when there is no legit possibility of that happening.

but hey what do I know, I've only lived in Brighton for 4 years and walk through the area every single day. So not a lot to go on compared to you in Somerville and never spending time in Brighton, but well, you lived nearby once a long time ago. Great story.

I wasn't in Brighton Center, I was closer to this intersection. Brighton Center is fine, spent lots of time there too, but most of the places have no atmosphere (Green Briar, Corrib, Devlins, blah). I lived around the Stockyward and Hogan's Run nad yes, the Irish Village Pub. Wasn't that long ago. Great place to live. And I'm in Brighton and Allston weekly pretty much, due to a lady I spend time with over there and lots of great date spots in Allston. Thanks for playing.

I'd move there, I said, if I needed a place (which I do not) and it was in my price range and good for my commute. It used to be good for my commute. It isn't any longer.

I can't imagine anyone being unhappy to live there, quite the opposite, its a sought after area.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM

8,740 posts, read 8,945,667 times
Quote:
I can't imagine anyone being unhappy to live there

Oh I'm sure I'd hate it. I lived in Somerville and Salem in my 20's and couldn't wait to go elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oh I'm sure I'd hate it. I lived in Somerville and Salem in my 20's and couldn't wait to go elsewhere.
Oh, ok, if you hate urban living, sure, but I meant people wanting to live in urban areas and like it.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

8,740 posts, read 8,945,667 times
Quote:
Oh, ok, if you hate urban living, sure, but I meant people wanting to live in urban areas and like it.

In that case, yes I would agree 100% with you. A couple boarded up houses and graffiti probably won't deter someone who wants to get into that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston