U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have to wonder: in the 50s with so many more people, where did everyone live? We have such a bad rental shortage as it is now with far fewer people. Granted, building codes are stricter and landlords are theoretically held to a higher standard, but I'm interviewing roommates right now and hearing how it is outside of my quiet, still affordable part of Medford. Think converted half of a living room separated by a sheet near Porter Square, a converted pantry with space for a full size bed and nothing more in Eastie, three people in a studio apartment in Cambridge, or squeezing in bunkbeds in Brookline and paying $600-$800 for the privilege. I'm sure people doubled and tripled up more in the past, but was there far more housing in general to handle the additional 200,000 people? Or was it just people had big families and more kids were squeezed in a room?
For one thing, in the '50s young adults didn't share apartments the way they do now. You lived at home or you got married and got your own place to live. In the aftermath of WWII Boston and other cities had huge housing crunches but the developers got very busy and built everywhere, turning many farming towns into suburbs. Those 50s houses are all still there, the ranches and split levels and capes. They were cheap and affordable (as long as you were white.) The population in older housing declined through the 50s as people moved out into these new suburbs. All those easy-to-build areas filled up with houses and other stuff years ago making it much harder to build, and now developers see building for the working or middle class as too risky. They only build for the high end. Sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM

283 posts, read 169,687 times
Not really in Boston, in Mass you can find some blighted areas around Springfield and Lowell though. Nothing like some areas in/around Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo/Philly/Pittsburgh though that can resemble Fallujah.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:58 PM

283 posts, read 169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think of all the northeastern cities, Boston has the most upscale look. Philadelphia has sections of cheap-looking homes together with abandoned homes. NYC has sections that look rather jarring looking but aren't abandoned. Actually, unlike most other cities NYC is at its population peak and experienced little population decline. I think massive immigration allowed NYC to escape a decline.

It's odd that Boston has no run-down or abandoned section given its population decline. I think part of it might due to family sizes becoming smaller or singles replacing families. So even if all the homes are occupied, each household has less people in it.

Interstingly, Manhattan's population peaked in 1920 (with 2.7 million) and has had very steep decline until recently. It lost about 39% of its population, yet very little of it looks decayed (though a few spots in Harlem used to). At its peak, Manhattan would have had a decent of 120,000 people per square mile or about 10x higher than Boston's current average density or 4x the density of Back Bay.
That's because urban cores have increasing become commercial centers where people work/shop/etc rather than live. Manhattan's *resident* population peaked in 1920, but it's daytime population today is 4,000,000+. Similarly Boston's population is ~650,000 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's daytime population was over a million.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
I'm sure people doubled and tripled up more in the past, but was there far more housing in general to handle the additional 200,000 people? Or was it just people had big families and more kids were squeezed in a room?

Prett much. Back in the day middle/ upper middle class families of six or more squeezed into one floor if a triple decker in many parts of the city. Siblings shared bedrooms. People who do that today are poor. We can now see what this entitled attitude has done for the city-there's a housing shortage!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 744,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm sure people doubled and tripled up more in the past, but was there far more housing in general to handle the additional 200,000 people?
Scollay Square in the 1940s

http://www.bostonstreetcars.com/uplo...57109_orig.jpg

and today

http://www.bostonstreetcars.com/uplo...62421_orig.png

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM

626 posts, read 950,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's true, Arianna is pretty good. Much better space than they had before. I will give you that.
Article 24 is a new spot that opened up on Western Avenue. I forget what the old place was called, however Article 24 guys took a super long time to rebuild.

Also, the new Joesph Smith Community Center building looks nice.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Article 24 is a new spot that opened up on Western Avenue. I forget what the old place was called, however Article 24 guys took a super long time to rebuild.

Also, the new Joesph Smith Community Center building looks nice.
Just went to Article 24 on Saturday for the first time. Thought it was great. Didn't have the food, just some drinks, but the bartenders were sociable and friendly, the space was great, bar chairs were actually comfortable. i liked that they had a few tvs but the space isn't dominated by the television presence. Did you have the food? Anything to recommend? I walk past it two times every day, so I'll definitely be back.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 AM

626 posts, read 950,880 times
Quote:
Just went to Article 24 on Saturday for the first time. Thought it was great. Didn't have the food, just some drinks, but the bartenders were sociable and friendly, the space was great, bar chairs were actually comfortable. i liked that they had a few tvs but the space isn't dominated by the television presence. Did you have the food? Anything to recommend? I walk past it two times every day, so I'll definitely be back.
Agreed on all counts. I recommend their Biltmore Burger. I am not a burger snob and know how Boston has become a 'burger town,' however in my opinion the Biltmore hit the spot. I hope they do well. We need more restaurants/pubs/retail on Western Ave.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
It's so hard to find bar spots in the Boston area that aren't. Even many of the nicer places seem to have them. I always make note of them when I do run into them.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:22 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's so hard to find bar spots in the Boston area that aren't. Even many of the nicer places seem to have them. I always make note of them when I do run into them.
I'd recommend article 24 for you then. I think there are 4 tvs at the bar, but they're placed in a clever way so that they are not a focus and you can only see one from any point you're sitting. There are also a lot of tables behind the bar where you wouldn't be watching TV at all. When I was there, I think they had the Red Sox game on silent and then when that finished, the bridgestone tournament also on silent, while going through a playlist of classic rock hits. So far when I've walked by every day and read their sign, I've seen Reggae brunch, EDM brunch, Trivia, and karaoke advertised, so I'm happy to see that they are bringing something with actual things to do to the neighborhood. I definitely see myself waking a little extra from my house to get to Article 24 instead of like Green Briar, Last Drop, Devlin's etc.

Oh and also, just went to Lulu's on Cambridge in Allston for the first time on the 4th of July. Also really like that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston