U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2017, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,133 posts, read 861,299 times
Reputation: 1191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Boston is predominantly white (unless you want to argue over the definition of predominant. OED says "Constituting the main, most abundant, or strongest element"). Non-hispanic whites make up a significant plurality of the population. Whites including white hispanics make up a majority.

In 2015 (according to census.gov)
White (includes White Hispanics) 52.9%
Black 25.3%
Asian 9.4%
Native American 0.4%
Two or more races 4.5%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 19.5%
Non-Hispanic Whites 44.6%

I'd argue that when you factor in college students and people who work in but don't live in Boston it's even whiter--but I don't have data to back that up and some might not consider people who don't live here in this conversation.
I mean I would say that college students get counted every year because ACS estimates are usually made in September and the Census is done in April. That's when school are in session. I'd argue if you took out the college student population Boston would be about 37-40% white. A significant plurality indeed, but of the geographically large neighborhoods, and in the schools, in the communities that are multi generational or established Bostonians, I feel the city is heavily minority. It's extremely white in downtown and the college areas which are barely in Boston..you have a few white non trendy neighborhoods (West Roxbury and Fairmount because JP and the white parts of Rozzie are trendy) but I feel that's the actually people vested in the city-the fabric of the city, the long term residents-are heavily minority. Then again I grew up in Black Boston so I have a different perspective. It's a different city because Boston is so segregated.

Furthermore what does white people have to do with blighted parts of the city? That's like saying if a city has a lot of black people it's blighted. Or at least I think that's the correlation, I could be wrong..


There are some decayed blocks in the heart of Roxbury and Lower Roxbury, western Dorchester, northern Mattapan, southern Hyde Park near Hyde Park Ave and River Street (not Readville and Fairmount) and East Boston.

Some actual blight is in Brockton Lynn and Chelsea. It's mostly the satellite cities like New Bedford Lawrence Fitchburg and Worcester that have actual blight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 AM
 
486 posts, read 361,552 times
Reputation: 801
Wait, so now a city should be ashamed of itself for being predominantly white? Should all of us whities, crackas, honkeys, etc quietly march up to the top of the Pru and start jumping off until the desired racial balance is reached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbearfk View Post
Short answer that nobody wants to accept: Boston is predominantly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM
 
449 posts, read 461,789 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Furthermore what does white people have to do with blighted parts of the city? That's like saying if a city has a lot of black people it's blighted. Or at least I think that's the correlation, I could be wrong..
I agree, it doesn't have anything to do with blighted parts of the city. I was just responding to the assertion that Boston is not predominantly white, when I think as a whole it is. Of course different neighborhoods have different make-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,471 posts, read 4,360,408 times
Reputation: 4476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I mean I would say that college students get counted every year because ACS estimates are usually made in September and the Census is done in April. That's when school are in session. I'd argue if you took out the college student population Boston would be about 37-40% white. A significant plurality indeed, but of the geographically large neighborhoods, and in the schools, in the communities that are multi generational or established Bostonians, I feel the city is heavily minority. It's extremely white in downtown and the college areas which are barely in Boston..you have a few white non trendy neighborhoods (West Roxbury and Fairmount because JP and the white parts of Rozzie are trendy) but I feel that's the actually people vested in the city-the fabric of the city, the long term residents-are heavily minority. Then again I grew up in Black Boston so I have a different perspective. It's a different city because Boston is so segregated.
I think you've got a different perspective from 99.9% of the country. Especially when you say something like "extremely white in downtown and the college areas which are barely in Boston". That's the Boston that most of the country and even the state thinks of when they think of Boston. It's the Boston we see on TV and in movies, the Boston we work in, and the Boston we go to college in. I think when people say stuff like "Boston is a very white city" it's because the Boston they know is a very white (and very rich and very young) city.

Certainly if you live in the really white parts of Boston or in certain suburbs, you may not ever notice a sizable minority population in Boston. I remember thinking that Boston was super white when I lived in Belmont. Now that I live southwest of the city I can tell that it's not quite as white, just really segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682
Default Re

'Id argue if you took out the college student population Boston would be about 37-40% white'

Are you kidding??? Youre delusional. The amount of minorities is going down even more in boston because of all the rich whites moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:23 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,979 posts, read 1,944,710 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you've got a different perspective from 99.9% of the country. Especially when you say something like "extremely white in downtown and the college areas which are barely in Boston". That's the Boston that most of the country and even the state thinks of when they think of Boston. It's the Boston we see on TV and in movies, the Boston we work in, and the Boston we go to college in. I think when people say stuff like "Boston is a very white city" it's because the Boston they know is a very white (and very rich and very young) city.

Certainly if you live in the really white parts of Boston or in certain suburbs, you may not ever notice a sizable minority population in Boston. I remember thinking that Boston was super white when I lived in Belmont. Now that I live southwest of the city I can tell that it's not quite as white, just really segregated.
+1, i also notice things like people will say they vacation in boston; then find out they spent a week in marthas vineyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,133 posts, read 861,299 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'Id argue if you took out the college student population Boston would be about 37-40% white'

Are you kidding??? Youre delusional. The amount of minorities is going down even more in boston because of all the rich whites moving here.
Boston was

49.5% white in 2000
47% white in 2010
44.6% white in 2015

There is no debate Bostons minority population continues to rise, all the statistical evidence says so.

Statistically speaking Roxbury, Chinatown, Jamaica Plain and the South End have all seen decreases in the minority share of population since 2000. Roslindale East Boston Dorchester Hyde Park Allston and West Roxbury have all seen larger increases in their minority share of the population, greater than that of the decreases in the other neighborhoods. I can provide links when at my computer if need be. This is Because of constant immigration which is 85% minority. The people really being displaced as a demographic are working class and lower middle class whites. When minorities move out more immigrants from Cape Verde the Dominican Republic Haiti China Vietnam and Trinidad replace them.

And to an early comment yea I would agree the perception of Boston is white and the downtown area and college areas. But the lived in residential neighborhoods are very much so minority. So I'm sort of making my case that the reality of the citizens is different than the perception. Using the logic you all are utilizing that would be like saying Hartford CT is predominately white because the downtown Hartford is very white and people associate Hartford with its suburbs.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-18-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682
Default Re

Those numbers seem hard to believe. The only part of boston that has a predominantly black population is mattapan, then maybe HP or roxbury is next but still a lot of white people there too. Roslindale, west roxbury and JP i cant imagine have become less white over the years, Dorchester is a mix, east boston is gentrifying. Many people are getting priced out of boston by high earning whites and asians i suppose.

How are these immigrants from haiti and Trinidad affording these prices as so many others are having moving out? Section 8?

It seems like you are trying to get a rise or reaction out of people by saying boston is becoming a city of mostly black and Hispanic people. It's the opposite. It's becoming a city where only the top earners can live...not people from haiti, trinidad and cape verde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,133 posts, read 861,299 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Those numbers seem hard to believe. The only part of boston that has a predominantly black population is mattapan, then maybe HP or roxbury is next but still a lot of white people there too. Roslindale, west roxbury and JP i cant imagine have become less white over the years, Dorchester is a mix, east boston is gentrifying. Many people are getting priced out of boston by high earning whites and asians i suppose.

How are these immigrants from haiti and Trinidad affording these prices as so many others are having moving out? Section 8?

It seems like you are trying to get a rise or reaction out of people by saying boston is becoming a city of mostly black and Hispanic people. It's the opposite. It's becoming a city where only the top earners can live...not people from haiti, trinidad and cape verde.
Whatever. I'm giving you cold hard facts. You'd rather do alternative facts. I want to give up. You can go find the numbers for yourself and sort it out. In not trying to get a rise, I'm merely dispensing accurate information. You're not even reading the information correctly. Jp is becoming whiter. I could explain why the minority population is still increasing but you'd doubt it still so...here's a quick shot.

White people living in Boston don't choose to have kids generally, if they do they move out before the kids hit their teens. They also have more ability to move to more desirable towns and city's at various points in their life. Immigrants come here with assistance from established family and using the fortunes hey have in their home countries. They also crowd into apartments, use section 8 and get into public housing. They much less picky with how they live and with whom and where. Often times there incomes are so low no one but a city will take them in. High earners are never going to be a lions share of the populations even in Boston they are roughly equal to the number of people living below the poverty line. Whites as a whole are declining in Massachusetts and every single state in the northeast except New Hampshire. Native whites are abandoning Boston because of expense and a slightly more diverse group of immigrants replaces them.

Black are 42+% of the populations in Hyde Park mattapan Roxbury and Dorchester and form a plurality or majority in all those neighborhoods. Combined those neighborhoods house 225 people. East Boston is predominately Hispanic 62+% Roslindale was a majority minority neighborhood in 2010 55%. West Roxbury went from 87% white in 2000 to 73% in 2010.. the pattern is clear. Central neighborhoods are becoming slightly whiter. Outer neighborhoods are becoming mire diverse. The thing is outer neighborhoods are much larger and the populous is much more permanent.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-18-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:54 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682
Do you think what you described above is positive? That well off, high earning educated people have less kids and low earning lower educated people have more? What will this country be like in years to come if that continues? Already these types of people complain there are no jobs for them and education isnt getting any less expensive.

the hard facts is Boston is becoming a hard city to afford. Why people want to come here and pile a bunch of people in an apartment and work a minimum wage is beyond me..but is seems like that's what some people choose to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top