U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,878 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to rent a studio or one-bedroom apartment in the Greater Boston Area due to my anticipated entry into Suffolk law school next fall. Though this living place itself is temporary, I hope to stay in Boston permanently and so I would like to live in and get to know an area I could potentially settle down in/around. I'm not too concerned about my commute as long as it doesn't need to involve car ownership (subway, bus, or commuter rail are all acceptable). I'll be living alone, so although I'm not afraid of the crime associated with cities, I don't wish to live somewhere truly unsafe. I don't want to pay more than $1000/month for rent... I imagine that the previous two statements may limit my search. Still, any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Suffolk Law is next to Park Street station, so the red and green lines are ideal. The blue and orange lines are fine as well due to State St. and Govt. Center stations nearby.

Craigslist often has very basic studios near the law school, on Beacon Hill on Bowdoin St., across from the State House for $900 or less.

Quincy has many studios and some basic 1 BRs for less than $1000. The subway commute is as little as 20 minutes. Malden fits your criteria also.

Search CL for studios on delightful St. Botolph St. for $1000 or so. Not fancy but very convenient, near Symphony Hall and Copley Place/Pru Center.

The Fenway area would have studios at about $1000. But you won't find new in Boston at this price.

Metro Realty in Coolidge Corner would cover Brookline rentals.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
Other than being pretty safe and having public transit, what kind of area are you looking for? Urban, suburban, or in between? Open space or a more densely populated neighborhood with some local small stores you can walk to? How long a commute can you handle?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,878 times
Thanks for the tips, bostonguy! I'll follow up on them for sure.

Mmm, something either urban or busy suburban (i.e. still has something resembling nightlife, dining, etc.) is probably my idea. No more than an hour commute would be ideal.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
For areas like you describe, here are a few suggestions:

Davis Square in Somerville: big young professionals area; red line T service directly to Park St. station; Large 1 bdrm,EIK w/dishwasher/disposal,laundry,parking (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2089765814.html - broken link) . . . one example of what you might find there for the rent you're talking about; also check down the red line in Cambridge's Porter Square neighborhood.

Arlington: in the transitional zone between urban and suburban; bus to Alewife Station, then red line to Park St.; restaurants are the main nightlife, but a fairly short bus ride to Alewife gets you to the red line into Cambridge or downtown Boston.

Waltham: downtown area in particular, as the rest is more suburban; population of young professionals downtown, and a bunch of restaurants; commuter rail to North Station, then green line to Park St. (assuming no bad delays, the whole trip should take less than an hour).

Newton Centre section of Newton, Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner sections of Brookline: all located in inner suburbs west of Boston; Brookline and Newton both very upscale towns, which means nice, clean, safe (Newton is especially safe), but also means expensive, so that options in your price range may be limited unless you go the roommate route, but there may be some options; more family-oriented towns, but still some neighborhood shopping and dining in the areas I've suggested, though these don't compare to Davis Sq., for example, as an area for young professionals or grad/professional school students; green line to Park St. from any of these areas.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 AM

46 posts, read 105,436 times
I am in Chelsea and East Boston all the time.They are considered to be a little ghetto and unsafe
but I have lived in this area for over 10 years and I have never witnessed anything bad. I often take the bus late at night. They are mostly immigrant neighborhoods so the rent is much cheaper.
East Boston has a subway station called Maverick. Chelsea has a bus to Maverick and also a direct bus to Boston over the Tobin bridge. It is very densely populated and you pretty much have everything as you do in downtown. Plus it is right next to Boston...literally. The Market Basket in Chelsea is the largest grocery store in New England and it's always busy and people form all over the state come to shop there because of the great prices. However you should try to find an apartment on Broadway or next to it....most of the crime happens away from the main street. This is only if you like staying out late at night....I know some people that were robbed and stabbed but it all happened from 1- 5 AM when there is nobody around in the quiet areas.
During the day it really is safe and normal since it's densely populated.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM

517 posts, read 746,099 times
Default Your options...

East Boston - You just got to be careful what part of East Boston you want to live in. I would avoid the Eagle Hill or Airport Station area. The area is changing but these parts to me are the more ghetto parts of East Boston. If you are adventurous , like good cheap eats and being 10 min from downtown , then there is a bargain to be had here.

Chelsea - I just get a ghetto impression of Chelsea. There are a few good areas but it's still just ghetto. I feel like its isolated and at times mad ghetto.
If fighting baby-mama's , bumping stereo systems , and the Market Basket in NE is your thing. then ithis your place.

Longwood/ JP.--- JP has 2 parts to it , the ghetto-Spanish side and the gay-nice side. For some reason all that comes up on CL is those nasty , crowded apts on S. Hunington Ave. Otherwise its a bustling area where students, hospital workers, all work .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or