U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 49,198 times

Advertisements

job starts next Monday December 6th, in the Financial District of Boston. I am lucky enough to stay with a family member for a few months but the commute will be 1 hr 40 min taking the T. I am looking for a place for around $1100/month that isn't a closet space or in a ****ty area. This has led me to look outside of anything in Boston. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Revere and Quincy finding rent to be $1200-1300 not including utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,536,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthebattlebegun View Post
job starts next Monday December 6th, in the Financial District of Boston. I am lucky enough to stay with a family member for a few months but the commute will be 1 hr 40 min taking the T. I am looking for a place for around $1100/month that isn't a closet space or in a ****ty area. This has led me to look outside of anything in Boston. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Revere and Quincy finding rent to be $1200-1300 not including utilities.
Well Boston is pricey. Unless you're willing to do the long long commute everyday, you're not gonna find a lot of offers that are fabulous and spacious. I suggest you accept the fact that for $1100 you'll have to settle for a studio or one bedroom, but get one right in the heart of downtown so what you lack in square footage in the abode is more than made up for with the vast amenities of downtown Boston. Downtown Boston is great - the place to be! Cafes, libraries, restaurants, shopping, museums, pubs, attractions, parks, free wifi everywhere - hell, you only need to be home to crash. Then you can have no car (and no car insurance!), walk to work or a short T ride. If you shorten you commute from 1:40 to 5, that means you shorten your work week by like 16 hours per week! believe me, life gets WAY better with a 10 minute commute. If you commute back and forth 1 hour per day you lose almost 10% of your life to highway stress. And Boston is about the worst place to have to commute.

Anyways, my opin is do this:

Not this:

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

sounds great i'll continue my search on this...i don't necessarily want a roommate having terrible experiences with my random dorm roommates I was with in college. Another twist is that I'd like to have my car available for weekends so on street parking would be a nice option if i was in the city. It's a big change from moving from a suburban area in ct.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,536,495 times
Quote:
sounds great i'll continue my search on this...i don't necessarily want a roommate having terrible experiences with my random dorm roommates I was with in college. Another twist is that I'd like to have my car available for weekends so on street parking would be a nice option if i was in the city. It's a big change from moving from a suburban area in ct.
You should sell the car and use Zip car when you need wheels. Plus there's cabs everywhere. On street parking is BOS is a nightmare - forget it. Take my word now, or wait till after the tenth time you've driven round the block for 1.5 hours looking for a parking spot, and then you'll see what I mean. The only way anyone keeps cars sensibly in BOS is they rent parking spaces for like $150/month to start. And your car will certainly be towed 3 times before you figure out the parking rules. Oh, and my insurance in BOS reached $3500 per year at one time. So count on $4000 per year to keep the car.

Or better, save that $4K to buy drinks for the thirsty lonely college chicks from the all girls colleges. If you work in the Financial District you will not need a car. Skates cost $50 bucks. Much better investment.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM

7,335 posts, read 8,991,221 times
Quote:
Quincy is quite possible, since it has several stops on the Red Line, which ( for you) would culminate at South Station, in the middle of the Financial District. Forget Revere--it would be a nightmarish commute, regardless of the prices...

You migty also consider Malden ( near the Orange Line), Medford, Somerville ( near the Red Line), or try to find a cheap studio/1 BR in a nice town like Newton ( Green Line), although prices might easily rise to 1300-1500; Cambridge, with Harvard and Yale, is also on the Red Line, but its prices generally equal Newton's, and sometimes exceed them...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,417,274 times
wow and all this time i though yale was in new haven.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM

haha thats where i'm coming from yale.. and revere commute will only be around 30 min while the apartment has a free shuttle that runs to the local t station, thanks for the advice everyone i'll keep looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or