U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM

160 posts, read 259,266 times

Advertisements

Currently in search of an apartment that is commuteable to the southend. My price range is pretty low(1200 max - obviously have been looking for studios ), and I'm looking for a safe neighborhood ideally a student or young professional neighborhood as I'm a 19 year old undergrad.

I've been looking in Allston/Brighton, and have been crossing my fingers for a studio in Fenway - have seen the odd ad in my price range located in Back Bay, south end, and north end(but have been skeptical especially for that luxury 2 bdrm in the northend for 1000 a month lol ).

I'm coming from the philadelphia area, and am taking a bus up to look at places this weekend. I know that a lot of landlords require co-signers for undergraduates(my parents are kindly supporting me at this time). I'm moving up with one other person who has no problem sharing a studio(even if it's no bigger than a dorm room..atleast we'll have a kitchen and bathroom to ourself).

Recently I've decided to expand the search to Cambridge and suburbs with a reasonable commute time - but I'm a bit stumped on where to look. I'm not bringing my car, so walkability is a plus, and obviously commuteability as well.

Any input or general advice on apartment hunting would be appreciated. Thankyou!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,540,631 times
South End, Lower Roxbury, Fenway, Longwood, Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Jamaica Plain, Back Bay, North End, South Boston, Cambridge ...

in that order to get best combo of proximity, convenience and comfort.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM

613 posts, read 1,968,134 times
Fenway/Symphony area would probably be the best fit overall, but you may find an apt in the South End. Something to keep in mind - I think there is a state regulation that if the studio is less than so many sq. feet only one person can officially live. So don't be caught unaware if some landlords won't rent a studio to 2 people.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM

160 posts, read 259,266 times
Thanks for the input guys, it's been helping a lot =]

I looked up the minimum square footage, and in a nutshell if we're over 200 square feet total and have atleast 140 square feet designated for sleeping/living, we can legally fit two occupants. We're also looking at one-bedrooms and having someone take the living room and someone take the bedroom, but it's nice to be prepared for possibly being turned down even if the space meets the requirements.

Fenway is definitely the top choice for a variety of reasons, but we can't afford to look in exclusively one neighborhood - particularly THAT neighborhood haha.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,469,132 times
You can get a basic older 1BR in Quincy for $900-$1100. I live there. Studios are priced at $759-$950 (?) for a basic studio.

Take one of the Quincy Red Line subways stations to Broadway or Andrew in South Boston, then a quick bus ride to parts of South End. Or take the Red Line 1 more stop to South Station, then the Silver Line to South End.

The weekly pass I buy is $15; monthly perhaps $59?

St. Botolph St., as I mentioned in another recent thread, has basic studios for $1,000 on Craigslist. It's 15-20 minutes walking to the South End. Nice neighborhood in the St. Botolph area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston