U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 AM

5,307 posts, read 5,913,575 times

Advertisements

I'm considering visiting Boston the end of this month, by taking Megabus from DC. I'm unfamiliar with Boston, only having visited once while driving through New England.

The bus drops passengers off at South Station. What are the decent hotels nearby, and is the area good or bad for a family to be walking around? I noticed several well-known hotel names in the vicinity for prices under $150, which surprised me for a city. That's the price range I'm looking for - any advice on "should do", "don't do", etc? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
I'm not really up on the hotels, so can't recommend anything in that regard. It's fine for a family to walk around the area around South Station. Any area in the inner city sections of Boston in and near downtown, where all the attractions are that you'd most likely want to see, is safe. Just keep in mind that you're in a city, and don't do something foolish like walking through a park late at night, which a family wouldn't be likely to do anyway. What to do or not to do during your visit depends a lot on your interests. Museums? Dining? Entertainment (theater, concerts, sports, etc.)?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,323,894 times
If you found Hotels near South Station for that cheap BOOK NOW!!!!! thats unheard of! There alot of hotels right on Atlantic Ave (Where S. Station is) Everywhere around there is fine. You can basically roam that whole area without worry. Including nightime. Wouldn't walk through the common a 2am but Bostons a very safe city. Stay in the Downtown area You'll be fine. Chinatown sucks at night too! But still a very safe city.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM

5,307 posts, read 5,913,575 times
Thanks, all. I live just outside of Washington DC, plus lived in DC a while, so I think I've got good street smarts. Still, it pays to get a heads-up about an unfamiliar area. And I don't plan on being out roaming into the wee hours, with my wife and kids.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,576,164 times
Welcome to Boston!!! I greatly hope you enjoy your visit at the end of the month and I'll try to stir you in the right direction as far as what attractions to see:

Since your arriving at the end of the month I'm assuming you'll be here for our New Year's Eve Celebration !!!! Now just an assumption mind you!!! If your here you must be part of our New Year Eve's celebration at the Boston Common!!!!! Your children will love the parade, the brillant, sparkling ice sculptures, all the festivities.....

The Museum of Science is another must see attraction along with the Aquarium!!!!

If your into ice skating, you can also skate at Boston Common, so much fun!!!!

Another site in the area of the Boston Common is Faniuel Hall in the heart of Government Center. Has so many shops, and restaurants.

Historical Sites - Our State Capital smack in Government Center only minutes from Boston Common.

The Old North Church - which can be found in the North End of Boston. This is where Paul Revere fled from to warn townsfolK that the "BRITISH ARE COMING, THE BRITISH ARE COMING"!!!!!

A must is the North End of Boston - It has the best food in the City!!!! Check out the restaurants and especially visit Mike's Pastry Shop!!!! Yumm Yumm I'm not going to say any more about Mike's, you can find out for yourselves . Just stroll down Hanover Street, off the beaten track, take deep breaths & enjoy the different aroumas of Italian cooking.

Southie - The Irish Neighborhood

Experience an authentic irish pub. Children are always welcome, food is served. Have some shepards pie with beef gravy the old traditional Irish way. Southie is also one of the most famous neighbohoods in the U.S.

Hope I was of some help to you and your family, if you come, a big welcome to Boston and enjoy your stay!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,530,078 times
I say follow the Freedom Trail - that is the main event in BOS. You'll see 400 year old graveyards, 300 year old homes, all the great stuff right on that path. Quincy Market for lunch, the seafood is astounding. Kids play at Boston Common, the Public Garden and Columbus Park. Make sure to look the the Blackstone block right across from Quincy Market. Eat at the Union Oyster House.

Skip the Museum of Science - it's junk. The MFA is very good, but coming from DC you've seen better. See Newbury St and the Back Bay. A walk along the Charles River Embankment is also fab. A visit to Harvard in Cambridge is a good half-day trip.

A day trip to visit the witches of Salem is always cool too. You can take a comfy train from North station. Essex and Derby Street are the destinations. Witches, pirates, and seafarers await.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,774 times
Cambridge is an amazing area to visit. You see historical museums along with contemporary fine art. A restaurant/hotel I really recommend visiting is ARTbar. Its located in the Sonesta Boston Hotel and the food is a work of art if weather permits you can eat river front with a spectacular view of the Boston skyline. Check out some of there great the travel deals at Boston Hotels, Royal Sonesta Hotels Boston, Cambridge Hotel Reservations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston