U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 15,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why in the world would you want to live in Malden if your job is next to the Qunicy Adams Station? Get a place in Quincy or Braintree. At least until you get a feel for the area. Rush hour is brutal everywhere including Boston. Living North of Boston and working south of it, is asking for alot of misery especially as winter sets in.
With Malden being closer to the few people I do know there and also being close to a couple other Lowe's I could move to once something becomes available, it's seeming to be a better choice right now. I may only work at the new Quincy store for a couple of months... of course, I may like it at that store and not want to go to a different store, in which case I will probably consider moving to Quincy. As it stands right now, I'd prefer to be at the Woburn, Saugus, or Danvers Lowe's... which are all still possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 AM

6,687 posts, read 11,943,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnamerocks View Post
With Malden being closer to the few people I do know there and also being close to a couple other Lowe's I could move to once something becomes available, it's seeming to be a better choice right now. I may only work at the new Quincy store for a couple of months... of course, I may like it at that store and not want to go to a different store, in which case I will probably consider moving to Quincy. As it stands right now, I'd prefer to be at the Woburn, Saugus, or Danvers Lowe's... which are all still possibilities.

Makes sense. Just make sure you have easy access to the T in Malden. Then when you don't want to drive, you can get on the Orange Line to Connect with the Red Line to the Qunicy Adams Station. You will definitely want to use the trains if its a bad winter.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 AM

7,344 posts, read 9,018,847 times
Cross Revere off your list; not convenient to work ,and not convenient for anything else, for that matter..

Malden is plausible, because of the Orange line, but I would honestly just consider Quincy; plenty to do, and Red Line access..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Makes sense. Just make sure you have easy access to the T in Malden. Then when you don't want to drive, you can get on the Orange Line to Connect with the Red Line to the Qunicy Adams Station. You will definitely want to use the trains if its a bad winter.
The apartment I'm looking at has a direct shuttle to the orange line. I used the MBTA trip planner and for I think $2, I'll definitely consider that for days I don't want to drive. When does rush hour typically start in the morning? I think my morning commute would be earlier than the morning rush by a decent amount.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Cross Revere off your list; not convenient to work ,and not convenient for anything else, for that matter..

Malden is plausible, because of the Orange line, but I would honestly just consider Quincy; plenty to do, and Red Line access..
What makes Revere a solid cross off other than the commute situation?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM

6,687 posts, read 11,943,939 times
Quote:
The apartment I'm looking at has a direct shuttle to the orange line. I used the MBTA trip planner and for I think $2, I'll definitely consider that for days I don't want to drive. When does rush hour typically start in the morning? I think my morning commute would be earlier than the morning rush by a decent amount.

I would say rush hour can start as early as 5:30am and even 5am, especially as winter and the snow storms arrive. Seems like the storms always want to start after midnight, and really get going by morning rush hour time. Or they start after you get to work, and then getting home is holy hell. People have to allow for the delays that come with winter, or be chronically late for work.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,222,770 times
I used to live in Malden and am quite familiar with the area. Grenada Highlands is not near the Orange Line (it is located on the other end of the city) but is served by a few bus lines that connect to rapid transit. Malden has its share of problems but the Grenada Highlands ought to be quite safe, the complex is not near the iffy parts of Malden.

One convenient thing is that you will be quite near US 1 which going south is a limited access highway leading right to downtown Boston. The bad part is you will have to pay toll everytime you go inbound over the Tobin Bridge until you are familiar enough with the area to know how to skirt the Tobin Bridge and avoid tolls. You are going to hate the commute to work as long as you are working in Quincy and living in Malden (or Revere, which is next to Malden for all that matters).

I'd suggest working at the Quincy Lowes for a short while and see if you can obtain a transfer to the Lowes in Saugus instead.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,820,639 times
Quote:
I would say rush hour can start as early as 5:30am and even 5am, especially as winter and the snow storms arrive.
Yeah, Boston in general starts earlier and shuts down earlier than a lot of other cities.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,019,215 times
Quote:
I'm loathe to engage in these "safety" discussions, mainly because they tend to be almost entirely hearsay and based on stereotypes. But, I will tell you that a company that I worked at engaged a "security" company that would issue worldwide bulletins on where it was safe for business people to travel. Just for laughs, I looked at what they were saying about Boston, and Malden was - according to them - one of the most dangerous areas in the Boston region (more so than Roxbury-Dorchester). I take all of this with a grain of salt, given that we've had a couple of murder-suicides in Danvers-Lynnfield (of all places) in the last month or two. Again, this is purely FWIW.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Well, after everything got settled, my job is actually transferring to Brockton for sure now. So, I definitely do not want to commute from north of Boston, so I think I'm going to try and settle into Quincy since everyone has said such good things about it. Now begins the hunt for a place to live....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston