U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a first time home (condo) owner who recently moved to Boston from the West Coast. I am leaving in December for two weeks to return to the West Coast, and am wondering what specific precautions/preparations to make in order to ensure that no damage due to freezing weather / snow occurs while I am away. I don't know my neighbors very well, but may be able to ask them to stop by and check in on my home while I am away.

Some details that may influence any helpful suggestions:
- Condo is attached to an adjacent unit.
- Was built 4 years ago.
- Has central heating.
- I plan on setting the heat to a lower setting (about 55 degrees?) while I am gone.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 344,412 times
Default Winterizing

Hi,
Sounds like you have an attached townhouse...a few suggestions:

1. if you can locate the shutoff to your house's water supply (usually somewhere in your basement), you can shut that off before you leave...this way, in case a toilet/washing machine/dishwasher hose lets go while you are gone, your home won't be flooded.
2. 55 is okay but I believe about the lowest temp you can set to ensure that your pipes don't freeze within the walls.
3. if you have an attached townhouse, you probably have a central air conditioning compressor in your yard. You can go to Home Depot and buy a cover (it's like a cube-shaped tarp with a bungee cord) to keep snow and ice out during the winter. I don't think everyone does this though.
4. if you have any outdoor water outlets, such as for a garden hose, you need to:
a. locate the shutoff valve for outdoor water and shut it off.
b. go outside and turn the spigot into the open position, so that any water trapped inside doesn't freeze and burst inside a pipe.
5. if you have a sprinkler system, you need to have a professional blow out the retained water inside the system so that it doesn't freeze.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadytork View Post
Hi there,

I am a first time home (condo) owner who recently moved to Boston from the West Coast. I am leaving in December for two weeks to return to the West Coast, and am wondering what specific precautions/preparations to make in order to ensure that no damage due to freezing weather / snow occurs while I am away. I don't know my neighbors very well, but may be able to ask them to stop by and check in on my home while I am away.

Some details that may influence any helpful suggestions:
- Condo is attached to an adjacent unit.
- Was built 4 years ago.
- Has central heating.
- I plan on setting the heat to a lower setting (about 55 degrees?) while I am gone.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or