U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,537,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
The office is near the train station, and the interviewer told me a lot of people live in Boston and take the train to work. To me, that's a huge plus. I hated driving to my last job, but public transit wasn't at all feasible because it's so bad here and the city has a pretty Soviet layout. Thank you for the Zone information. I can work that into a budget. I was wondering though... is traffic light during rush hour going away from Boston? I drove away from Central Phoenix and it was still pretty heavy when I worked at my last job. As for winter temps... I'd just have to see how well I handle them. I think I'm pretty sensitive to heat and never turn the heater on, even when I visit a colder climate.

About the apartment, I'm not sure if there are different laws/policies in Boston or not, but here you need to provide three pay stubs to qualify for an apartment. That may be because incomes in Phoenix are very low and they've had to tighten rules because of the housing bubble fallout. That's why I was thinking I would need to stay in a hotel for a couple months.

And thank you for the additional neighborhoods. If I get this job I want to explore areas people have mentioned on the weekend and find the right spot.

In Boston what you need is First month/Last month/security deposit and if you use a realtor add the fee which = 1 month rent usually. IOW, 2 - 4 months rent up front. No, you don't need a hotel, you just need a lot of money. Plan for $1K per month rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 AM

409 posts, read 1,149,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
The office is near the train station, and the interviewer told me a lot of people live in Boston and take the train to work. To me, that's a huge plus. I hated driving to my last job, but public transit wasn't at all feasible because it's so bad here and the city has a pretty Soviet layout. Thank you for the Zone information. I can work that into a budget. I was wondering though... is traffic light during rush hour going away from Boston? I drove away from Central Phoenix and it was still pretty heavy when I worked at my last job. As for winter temps... I'd just have to see how well I handle them. I think I'm pretty sensitive to heat and never turn the heater on, even when I visit a colder climate.

About the apartment, I'm not sure if there are different laws/policies in Boston or not, but here you need to provide three pay stubs to qualify for an apartment. That may be because incomes in Phoenix are very low and they've had to tighten rules because of the housing bubble fallout. That's why I was thinking I would need to stay in a hotel for a couple months.

And thank you for the additional neighborhoods. If I get this job I want to explore areas people have mentioned on the weekend and find the right spot.
With apartments, i think its up to the landlord. I've been accepted for an apartment before just off of an offer letter. As long as your credit check comes back alright, monthly salary offered is 3-4 times(depending on the landlord) the rent, and you have First, Last and Maybe Security (sometimes 1/2 rent sometimes full) and Fee (sometimes) if you go through a realtor.

So.. Have 4 months Rent on hand Just incase. Also, just to warn you, if you're making 40K and living downtown, plan on getting a roommate. If you end up moving into a situation where the roommate lives there it can really cut down on costs for realtor fees and maybe even security... Plus, if they live there, the majority of the apartment may already be furnished (outside of your room). Also, in my opinion, having a roommate who's familiar with the area, or even new to it, could make the transition easier. Atleast thats me

Last edited by Highwyre237; 12-17-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,010,095 times
That's interesting about the apartments. Thanks for the info. I may only need a hotel for a little bit then. I like your system better... but then again, Phoenix wages/salaries are laughable (the market value for my field here is roughly $25K... which is, even adjusting cost of living, still too low) so I can see why apartments here have restrictions. I have enough in savings to move in, if I don't need to wait at least six weeks to get pay stubs. I'll give the roommate thing some thought, because it'll be just me moving at first. At least one other person will be moving with me soon after I go (probably a few months)... maybe a third if my friend decides to go too, but that would be a bit further down the road.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,018,600 times
Do you have a budget for an apartment? When you say another person will be moving soon, do you mean you're going to get a two-bedroom and hope that friend moves in?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you have a budget for an apartment? When you say another person will be moving soon, do you mean you're going to get a two-bedroom and hope that friend moves in?
I have plenty in savings. I have someone who definitely will move in, but it will be a transition as he'll come later. I have a strong feeling about this job, so if I get it he will put in for a transfer and go. A third person might move, but he's iffier. I think with him he'd have to visit in the spring or summer because he has bad allergies and needs to make sure the local flora doesn't make him sick. I think he's apprehensive to go that time of year for that reason though, and I could be wrong, but I think his allergies could be worse here because of so many transplanted trees, dust, etc. that produce pollen and spores year-round. Anyway, at first I'll move by myself and would be open to a roommate... but that might be hard to find because I have a naughty, rambunctious little dog.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 AM

So how much are you looking to spend on an apartment?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Oh and I know you said you wouldn't be turning on the heat, but that's not realistic, no matter how immune you think you are to the cold. You need to keep heat on when temperatures fall below a certain point in order to prevent pipes from freezing and subsequently, bursting. Just something to consider if you choose an apartment where heat is not included in the rent.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM

I'm not sure yet... I need to look more into general expenses and taxes so I can balance everything out. That's something I'll probably figure out when/if I get there. It doesn't have to be the greatest part of town... but not slummy. Honestly, family-oriented communities are a big turn-off to me, as are areas near schools. I just wouldn't be comfortable living around a lot of children, because of the noise, door-to-door school fundraisers, mess, carelessness, etc. Anyway, I don't know about Boston, but with few exceptions parts of town here that aren't "family friendly" typically have lower land values/rent. I love the apartment I live in now and it has only a handful of families.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 AM

If your commute would really be doable via the T, I'd look into the North End. It's a dense, urban neighborhood with tons of restaurants/shops, easy to live without a car, walkable to North Station (where you'd get the train), is close to Christopher Columbus park, which is a popular dog-walking place, not a lot of kids and you'd have easy access to the rest of the city.

northendboston.com

The downsides are that you may find you get a lot less apartment for the money than you would for the money in Phoenix (probably figure on $1500 or so for an okay one-bedroom; $2K and up for something really nice) and its a tourist-orientated neighborhood, which has its ups and downs.

Another area might be Davis Square in Somerville, if you kept the car and drive to work. It's just North of Boston, so you'd miss most of the worst traffic and would have a fairly light reverse commute. It's not nearly as dense as the North End, but it's also got plenty of restaurants/nightlife/shopping/cultural events etc. Rents are a bit cheaper, but it depends how far a walk you are from the subway.

Some more advice: take a look on CraigsList for specific neighborhoods so you can get a sense of price and what apartments look like here. Unlike many other parts of the country, apartments here are generally not of the large complex-with-a-parking lot variety; you are much more apt to be living in a two/three family house, a low-rise or a high-rise.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Thank you for the information. I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I just had the trip from hell trying to visit family... and long story short, I think it's now safe to say that in no way would my car be going with me.

North End sounds very nice and I think it would be my preference if I can make it work financially. I'm okay with the higher apartment costs... Phoenix has really shown me that you get what you pay for, so I'd happily pay a lot more for a place like Boston.

It does make me feel optimistic and puts me in good spirits to look for apartments, as it makes a move seem more imminent. I'm going to really look deeply into those areas you suggested and see if I can get more tangible ideas of places. The last sentence you wrote makes me happy: that sounds exactly like what I want in a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston