U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,013 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest some walkable towns on the Haverhill line, such as Melrose and Wakefield, but if you don't want family-centric neighborhoods, they might not work. Maybe Malden. You can get on the Haverhill commuter rail at Malden Center. Malden's a bit gritty, but certainly not as bad as Lawrence. I love the North End, but it is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,011,740 times
I'm open to Malden. I'm not sure if it would help, but I could explain my neighborhood in Phoenix:

Lower middle class/lower class, largely Latino community but somewhat diverse, near two freeways/a major street/airport/light rail (somewhat noisy,) fewer children compared to the rest of the area, some diverse restaurants in the area, relatively high presence of registered sex offenders, presumably a significant level of crime (I always see police officers standing at the entrance to the grocery store and Target, a police chopper flies overhead once or twice a week on average, etc. ...)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm comfortable in the area. There's a "nicer" part of town here called Gilbert that makes me really uncomfortable. It's mostly white, Mormon, family-centric, extremely conservative, lower crime, etc. I'd fit in as far as skin color... but everything else about me in regards to that place would make me feel very uncomfortable.

I hope that helps... I'm not too familiar with the Boston area, so I'm trying to compare with places I know.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,786,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If your commute would really be doable via the T, I'd look into the North End. It's a dense, urban neighborhood with tons of restaurants/shops, easy to live without a car, walkable to North Station (where you'd get the train), is close to Christopher Columbus park, which is a popular dog-walking place, not a lot of kids and you'd have easy access to the rest of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post

North End sounds very nice and I think it would be my preference if I can make it work financially. I'm okay with the higher apartment costs... Phoenix has really shown me that you get what you pay for, so I'd happily pay a lot more for a place like Boston.
Hmmm...if the OP wants quite and no "school" noise, I would avoid the North End. The NE has been having a good amount of issues with loud college students from Suffolk who live in the area. And, now that Beacon Hill 'banned' college students from residency, even more are going to move to the North End. Of course, the students say that they are not the problem. But whose word is more credible? The person who has lived in the area for 10-15 years? Or some 18 year old who believes that drinking five cans of Four Loko is a good time?

North End / Waterfront Residents' Association Blog

On top of that, there are a lot of clubs and bars in the North End, and a good amount of tourists hang out there, as well. So, it is generally a noisy place at night. But, not all of it is "bad". The North End itself is beautiful, near pretty much everything you will need or want, and does have good, quite streets.

Also, expect to pay $2K for a two bedroom that is so-so (depending on your opinion) or $2.5K + for something nicer.

One thing to keep in mind is that "new construction" doesn't mean much around here. Sure, there are new dwellings, mostly condos or luxury apartments, but keep in mind that you will get something that is old. And by Phoenix standards, probably ancient. Don't be surprised when the majority of apartments you look at will appear to need "updating". Some perhaps major. You'll see what I mean.

Addendum: try finding an apartment where heat and hot water are included with the rent. They are common enough, and you will save a grip on utilities.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Hmmm...if the OP wants quite and no "school" noise, I would avoid the North End. The NE has been having a good amount of issues with loud college students from Suffolk who live in the area. And, now that Beacon Hill 'banned' college students from residency, even more are going to move to the North End. Of course, the students say that they are not the problem. But whose word is more credible? The person who has lived in the area for 10-15 years? Or some 18 year old who believes that drinking five cans of Four Loko is a good time?

North End / Waterfront Residents' Association Blog

On top of that, there are a lot of clubs and bars in the North End, and a good amount of tourists hang out there, as well. So, it is generally a noisy place at night. But, not all of it is "bad". The North End itself is beautiful, near pretty much everything you will need or want, and does have good, quite streets.

Also, expect to pay $2K for a two bedroom that is so-so (depending on your opinion) or $2.5K + for something nicer.

One thing to keep in mind is that "new construction" doesn't mean much around here. Sure, there are new dwellings, mostly condos or luxury apartments, but keep in mind that you will get something that is old. And by Phoenix standards, probably ancient. Don't be surprised when the majority of apartments you look at will appear to need "updating". Some perhaps major. You'll see what I mean.

Addendum: try finding an apartment where heat and hot water are included with the rent. They are common enough, and you will save a grip on utilities.
Thank you. But it's mostly children/teenagers I don't want to be around. I'll get a good idea of my budget and go from there though. Seriously, I would be happy to pay more for a place if a city is worth it. I don't really see many negatives of living in Boston initially. I'm sure something would come up if I lived there for awhile, but even the winters there don't seem to be inhibiting. I don't really mind old... everything in Phoenix is ugly, bland and looks the same. I really hate that city. Like I said, you get what you pay for, and Arizona just sucks all around and the living costs reflect that.

Right now I'm visiting family in Oklahoma and my respiratory system is already feeling better because of the higher humidity and no dust in the air. It's about 25 degrees outside and quite uncomfortable, but tolerable. The heat in Phoenix literally makes me feel sick to my stomach, grumpy and miserable. The skies have been overcast, mostly cloudy or hazy most of this trip and that has helped to elevate my mood. All in all, I think the general Northeast climate would work better for me if Oklahoma is helping this much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston