Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

Me and a buddy just bought tickets to catch a three game series with the sox in April and we're looking to check out the town. I've heard there's a lot to do and we're going to stay for a few extra days. Since we've never been before, I was looking for a little advice and a few fingers to point us in a direction. I've been looking around on the forums and I've been trying to find a few topics that relate to our age group, but I keep finding "tourist" locations for things to do. We're both in our mid twenties and we're not much for sight-seeing more than entertainment/fun, if you catch my drift. Also, clubbing isn't our thing. We're more into pubs/bars. From my travels, the sights are all unique wherever you go. They do hold a great significant value to wherever that particular place is, but conversing with locals seems more beneficial when it comes to getting to know the town. Anyways, I felt most of that is relevant (I hope) to what we want to do. Some good local pubs, good food, cheap places to stay around the bars and/or subway would be awesome (looked around on all the hotel websites like expedia and orbitz for example, but overall pretty pricey per hotel). Also, sights to check out would be very helpful too. Again, we're not going 'til April so I'll be bugging with bumps on the forum until then. I'm looking forward to seeing what Boston has to offer and thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,916 times
The Blackstone Block-Faneuil Hall area is full of bars and pubs but can get a bit touristy. Boylston Street in the Back Bay also has lots of bars and pubs and is within walking distance of several hotels and Fenway Park. Allston Village and Central Square in Cambridge have lively bar and live music scenes which I think draw a more collegiate and hipster crowd. Fenway itself has a lot of good nightlife. If you were looking for adult entertainment, Boston only has a couple of clubs left on Lagrange Street in the old Combat Zone near Chinatown. Unfortunately, Boston doesn't really encourage visitors with all kinds of budgets. Hotels here are outrageously priced (but maybe not as bad in April) and the subway closes at 12:30 so staying further out isn't an option if you want to go out at night. If all you're looking for is a bed and you don't mind youth hostels, there's one on Hemenway Street very centrally located between the ballpark and bars in Fenway and the nightlife of Boylston Street.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
When are you coming? The Boston Marathon is April 15th, so if you are looking to come that weekend, you're probably going to be out of luck a far as inexpensive accomodations.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM

83 posts, read 343,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindAlcoholic View Post
Me and a buddy just bought tickets to catch a three game series with the sox in April and we're looking to check out the town. I've heard there's a lot to do and we're going to stay for a few extra days. Since we've never been before, I was looking for a little advice and a few fingers to point us in a direction. I've been looking around on the forums and I've been trying to find a few topics that relate to our age group, but I keep finding "tourist" locations for things to do. We're both in our mid twenties and we're not much for sight-seeing more than entertainment/fun, if you catch my drift. Also, clubbing isn't our thing. We're more into pubs/bars. From my travels, the sights are all unique wherever you go. They do hold a great significant value to wherever that particular place is, but conversing with locals seems more beneficial when it comes to getting to know the town. Anyways, I felt most of that is relevant (I hope) to what we want to do. Some good local pubs, good food, cheap places to stay around the bars and/or subway would be awesome (looked around on all the hotel websites like expedia and orbitz for example, but overall pretty pricey per hotel). Also, sights to check out would be very helpful too. Again, we're not going 'til April so I'll be bugging with bumps on the forum until then. I'm looking forward to seeing what Boston has to offer and thanks for any advice.
Hit up the historic but non-touristy J.J. Foley's bar on Kingston Street in Boston's Downtown Crossing on an afternoon or weeknight (the weekend evening and Friday after work crowd can be obnoxious).

Best pub in the metro area is The Plough and Stars in Cambridge, on Massachusetts Avenue between the Harvard and Central subway stops. The food is really good there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston