U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 AM

11 posts, read 34,223 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Boston to study in MIT soon, looking for appartment.
I've heard some areas in Somerville are not so safe. Can someone
list those areas??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 29,191 times
In general...

western part of somerville where it borders arlington or cambridge (south/south west) are OK
eastern part of somerville where it borders everett, malden and so forth not so good

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Somerville is traditionally blue collar working class but in recent years has become very gentrified. There are tons of graduate and undergraduate students renting on the west side (Teele Square, Davis Square, Ball Square, etc) and around Tufts University but parts of the east side like Union Square is also coming up very quickly.

Like all places, always lock your door when you go out and be alert at night. Somerville isn't the most dangerous of places but there is the occasional robbery, assault, or break-in. I think it's because of the difference in income between the students and young professionals on one end and lower income working class residents on the other.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM

83 posts, read 291,551 times
Like anywhere else most of the petty crime here is driven by drug addicts; thankfully there aren't a whole lot of them. There is some Latino gang activity in the Sullivan Square/East Somerville area but that
isn't likely to affect outsiders and hasn't spread to any other parts of Somerville so far. Overall I'd classify Somerville's crime situation as "mild to moderate".

As the previous poster said if you follow some common sense precautions you should be fine.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,024 times
my wife and my alitle son are going to move to boston, just i m wondering if somervile is safe enouph to live? i ll apperciate if you can recomend me any good location to buy or rent house.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 AM

315 posts, read 506,657 times
The standard viewpoint seems to suggest that there is an east-west divide in Somerville in terms of crime. While there has been, as some have mentioned, some gang activity in the eastern reaches of the city, particularly in the Foss Park area, it has been fairly quiet of late. I know a few people who live out that way and like it for its convenience to the orange line. On the other hand, the large young / student population on the western end of Somerville seems to lead to occasional street robbery and assault patterns targeting mostly unaware people wearing headphones or talking on cell phones late at night. Although this is undoubtedly the "nicer" part of town, packed with restaurants and bars and near a few red line stops, it has its sketchy spots, particularly around the Foodmaster past Teale Square. Use caution like you would anywhere, and Somerville, east or west, will be a safe, fun and convenient place to live. That said, definitely rent before you buy. Especially for those coming from other parts of the country, the density of a city like Somerville (over 18,000/square mile) might take some getting used to. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston