U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 AM
 
11 posts, read 34,236 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my wife are relocating to BOS due to my postdoc position (from Europe). At the beginning we gonna have to live from my not so big scholarship and I wonder what is the cheapest place to purchase food and basic products? Big chain stores like TARGET/COSTCO or local ma and pa stores ?

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
 
158 posts, read 455,878 times
Reputation: 209
You are not going to find any budget chain stores in Boston. There may be a couple of chain supermarkets. But if youre looking for a Costco or a Target in the city, good luck.

If you are bringing a car, your best bet is probably driving to Somerville. There's a few cheap outlet stores there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Reputation: 6449
The regional chains called Foodmaster and Market Basket sell at a lower profit margin than the "fancier" supermarkets such as Shaw's and Stop & Shop. Although the stores are smaller and not as showy, with a somewhat smaller selection, you can save a lot compared to what the bigger stores charge. Both Market Basket and Foodmaster have locations in Somerville.
Purchasing non-perishables in bulk might mean making the occasional excursion to Costco or BJ's, both of which have stores in the area (BJ's in Medford, Costco in Everett.)
Neighborhood grocers, just like convenience stores e.g. 7-Eleven, rarely offer bargains any more. Their wholesale costs are higher since they're not buying at the volume the bigger stores do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15198
You can save a ton of money right off the bat by never buying food and beverages from restaurants. Make your own coffee in the morning. Pack your own lunches. Keep a diary of your daily expenditures.

With the basic grocery stores like Stop n Shop, one can save by only buying what's on sale. And when making chicken, buy whole chickens, not chicken parts. Or buying a whole pork shoulder to roast, not smaller packages of the more expensive per pound cuts.

BTW why won't your wife be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Boston Suburb
2,025 posts, read 4,996,316 times
Reputation: 1498
If you buy basic items onsale and freeze the meats and stock up on nonperishables, it really cuts the cost vs buying just in time. Look at the weekly ads and plan according to what's on sale.

Depending on where you live, it may not be worth driving out of your way to shop for groceries. Aside from MB, Asian grocers have fantastic selection of fruits and veges at much lower prices. The quality is now much better than 4-5 yrs ago due to more competition from new store additions. The ones I go to are close to Chinatown in Boston. Outside Bos, there is KimMan in Qunicy, Super88 on Allston, Hmart in Burlington but to me, I prefer Cmart in Bos for the prices and selection. These stores tend to be more chaotic and you may be the few non-Asian inside the whole place but don't let that scare you.

In general, unprocessed basic food items in the US is downright cheap. I'm talking about whole chicken, eggs, milk, valuepaks of beef, pork, drumstick, loafs of bread, flour, etc. You definitely save a lot of money doing your own cooking vs buying frozen or store prepared entrees. Save restaurant meals for special occasions.

BTW, I don't think warehouse stores (BJ, Costco) save you money on basic food purchases and you have to pay 45 in annual membership. I know people who make out well from buying wines, medication, etc but basic food items are not that discounted compared to buying on sale. There are a few exceptions where Costco prices are unbeatable but everything comes in gigantic sizes that you may not need.

Last edited by mmyk72; 12-20-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM
 
11 posts, read 34,236 times
Reputation: 13
Default Working permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You can save a ton of money right off the bat by never buying food and beverages from restaurants. Make your own coffee in the morning. Pack your own lunches. Keep a diary of your daily expenditures.

With the basic grocery stores like Stop n Shop, one can save by only buying what's on sale. And when making chicken, buy whole chickens, not chicken parts. Or buying a whole pork shoulder to roast, not smaller packages of the more expensive per pound cuts.

BTW why won't your wife be working?
Working permit to postdoc spouses usually takes about 3 month to get, plus nobody promisses us finding job fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Reputation: 15198
I worked with five young women from Ireland one summer at a local restaurant. It took them between a month to two months to get their work permits. There is plenty of work in the F & B business and she'd get fed a free meal at work.

Otherwise, what work skills does she have? Where are you coming from? Perhaps she could sell things on eBay or other internet site.

Anyway, if you keep a log of your daily expenses and avoid places like Starbucks and buying lunch from a restaurant, you should get by until your wife can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM
 
83 posts, read 291,608 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The regional chains called Foodmaster and Market Basket sell at a lower profit margin than the "fancier" supermarkets such as Shaw's and Stop & Shop. Although the stores are smaller and not as showy, with a somewhat smaller selection, you can save a lot compared to what the bigger stores charge. Both Market Basket and Foodmaster have locations in Somerville.
This can't be overstated. The difference in price between the Somerville Market Basket and the Shaw's that's 1/2 a mile up the road is something like 35% for the exact same groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
 
11 posts, read 34,236 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I worked with five young women from Ireland one summer at a local restaurant. It took them between a month to two months to get their work permits. There is plenty of work in the F & B business and she'd get fed a free meal at work.

Otherwise, what work skills does she have? Where are you coming from? Perhaps she could sell things on eBay or other internet site.

Anyway, if you keep a log of your daily expenses and avoid places like Starbucks and buying lunch from a restaurant, you should get by until your wife can work.
HHH... my wife is not realy a F&B material (short tempered I'd say )
I guess she will try to find a job at biotech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top