Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 71,079 times

Advertisements

I root against any team that beats the Pats....

will that be a problem when I move to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,460 times
Yes, If you don't root for the Pats they can legally take your house, sell it and the proceeds will be distributed equally among season ticket holders.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 PM

158 posts, read 545,718 times
You dont have to be a Pats fan to live in Boston, but you have to be a Pats fan if you want to be cool.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 AM

80 posts, read 265,061 times
Be careful if you move to Beacon Hill ( Downtown Boston ) . QB Tom Brady might smash your car .

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I root against any team that beats the Pats....
You root against any team that beats the Pats, yet you are not a Pats fan?

I am not a Pats fan. Never have been, and never will be. Every time I hear "Pats", I think of the gender-ambigous character on the old SNL skit It's Pat! There is just something really annoying about the franchise, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Same with the Dolphins.

Anyways, people may talk the talk around here, but Packer's fans they are not. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,848 times
I'm a Jets/Yankees fan and I live here. Most fans dont care, just dont be obnoxious about it all... I even wore jets gear to the Pats Jets monday night game... Although I got made fun off... it was deserving.

Just learn to be a good sport, and let things roll off your back... Surround yourself with people who will back you up (can be pats fans, doesnt matter) who will have your back if one of the few A*holes really starts bothing you

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,591 times
Diehard Pats fan here:

I think you'll find it easier to be a non-Pats fan than a non-Red Sox fan. I actually saw a guy wearing a Packers sweatshirt on Sunday.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Anyone wishing to move to Boston must apply two years ahead of time. This is to allow time for an extensive background check, which will include a 51-page questionnaire, extensive interrogation of your relatives and residents of all neighborhoods in which you have ever lived, and a thorough investigation to determine all sports events you have ever attended, even at the level of Little League, children's rec league games, and the like, in order that your loyalties may be determined.

At the boudaries of Boston's outer suburbs there is a wall 37 feet high, with electrified barbed wire across the top, and towers where guards armed with Uzis are stationed at all times. This forces you to enter and leave the metro area via heavily guarded gates where those who pass the two-year background check and receive approval to live in Boston will be subjected to an hour-long final interrogation, then fingerprinted, with copies of their prints filed in triplicate at Boston City Hall. If, after completing this procedure, you are determined to be an unquestioned, dyed-in-the-wool Patriot fan, then and only then will you receive final approval to live in Boston.

Hmmmm, okay, seriously, what others have told you is correct. Pay special attention to Highwyre's advice not to be obnoxious about your loyalty to other teams, especially if you're actually attending a game.

By the way, did you mean to say you root FOR any team that beats the Pats?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Long-time Patriots fan here. You are much worse off being a non-Red Sox fan in Mass. I live in DC now, and enjoy watching the suffering Redskins fans, because it was not much fun being a Patriots fan until 10 years ago.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM

12,831 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You root against any team that beats the Pats, yet you are not a Pats fan?
Glad someone else caught that!

Quote:
There is just something really annoying about the franchise, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Same with the Dolphins.
From my friends who aren't Pats fans here (there are plenty):

"There's a 'smug' attitude starting with ownership down to the players. They think they're better than everyone else just because they give short, vague press conferences, and don't speak much to the media and don't have many off-field problems. But they play dirty and they cheat."

I see why other people don't care for them. I love them, personally, but I see why others don't care for them. IMHO, every NFL franchise out there has some traits that make opposing teams dislike them. The Steelers have Harrison and Rapelisburger (sp?), the Jets have Sexy Rexy who always seems to get off on the wrong foot (intentional), the Chargers have Rivers (a punk) and until recently Merriman and LT, the Ravens have Suggs and Lewis, and of course, the Pats have Brady and Belichick. They also win a lot. It's easy to see why people don't care for them.

Quote:
Anyways, people may talk the talk around here, but Packer's fans they are not. I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't disagree. I think they mostly walk the walk with the Sox (there are bandwagon fans as with any successful team anywhere). The Patriots' success is all recent. The team isn't steeped with the history that other local teams are either (they're NOT the Packers). You don't have generations of Patriots fans like you do Sox and Celtics. Many locals were Giants fans before the Patriots came into the picture and many still are. They're the talk of the town right now, but you don't have those underlying generations of diehard Pats fans like you have with teams in other cities (i.e. Green Bay) or like you do with other sports in Boston (Celtics, Sox).

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. The only city I wouldn't want to live in and not be a fan of the local teams is Philly. Those fans are brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston