U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM

163 posts, read 492,326 times

Advertisements

Thank you. It's so helpful talking to people who actually know the areas.

In Newton, I'm not sure what the village it is but the street was called Middle Street.

So for Tewksbury, it would be about a 45-minute drive to Boston?

I work in publishing so I'm "assuming" most of the media-related jobs will be in Boston, unless there's some other area I'm not aware of. I'll feel lucky if I can get any type of office job though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Oh, I wanted to ask about Cambridge. A lot of people were telling me that's the nicest area. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM

83 posts, read 292,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Thank you. It's so helpful talking to people who actually know the areas.

In Newton, I'm not sure what the village it is but the street was called Middle Street.

So for Tewksbury, it would be about a 45-minute drive to Boston?

I work in publishing so I'm "assuming" most of the media-related jobs will be in Boston, unless there's some other area I'm not aware of. I'll feel lucky if I can get any type of office job though.
No problem.

Middle Street is in Nonantum aka "The Lake". "The Lake" used to be Newton's Little Italy, and still retains a little bit of that vibe. The area is quiet, safe, and very convenient (right near the Mass Turnpike and the mall shopping in Watertown).

Tewksbury is about 40 minutes to Boston with no traffic if you like to drive fast. Allow an hour plus for a workday commute.

I don't know a whole lot about publishing but most such companies I know of are within the Route 495 belt if not in Boston itself.

My wife and I lived in Cambridge from 2002 until we moved to Somerville earlier this year. It's a great area. We lived between Inman Square and East Cambridge. These areas, and Central Square, are very urban in both positive ways (lots of stuff to do, diverse, close to Boston proper) and negative ones (quite noisy with sirens and the like, some crime, winos begging for money).

West Cambridge and North Cambridge are more suburban, while Porter Square and Kendall Square are more college oriented.

Riverside and Cambridgeport are residential neighborhoods that abut Central Square.

Dana Hill is a very nice (but expensive) area between Central Square and Harvard University.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Oops I forget (Cambridge):
Coolidge Square-suburban and next to Watertown
Harvard Square-so expensive that tenured Harvard professors can't afford to live there anymore

Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM

How do you like Somerville? Someone posted in another thread to avoid Somerville, do you know what that's about?

There's a sublet in Chestnut Hill/Brookline. What do you think about that area?

I'm starting to get stressed. It's so hard doing it blind. I did move blind from Cali to NJ in Oct and managed to make that work, although I ended up spending MUCH more money on rent because I mainly stayed in a Res. Inn. It was nice and comfy, but too expensive. I hope I don't end up having to do that in MA too.

The Res Inn in Tewks is pretty reasonable but it sounds like I'd have to drive far for any interviews that come up.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm very happy in my Concord Square neighborhood. Good, mostly two or three family pre-WWII housing stock. Quiet and low key. Parking is not an issue and I am within easy walking distance of Union and Inman squares.

Somerville has history as a collection of insular blue collar neighborhoods, but that has been changing since the early 80s. There are a couple of seedy, but not terrible, neighborhoods such as East Somerville and Cobble Hill but most of the city is solidly working to middle class and increasingly diverse both ethnically and economically. I doubt most people who still buy into the "Slummerville" stereotype have spent much time here in the past 10 plus years.

Cons:
Parking is an issue in some areas.

The areas that are right by the subway stations in Davis and Porter are very overpriced IMO.

Somerville's appearance is quaint at best and dumpy at worst. Even the residential areas have postage stamp yards for the most part. It has few houses one would ever see in Better Homes and Gardens. I can't see how this would be of much concern to a renter though.

Chestnut Hill is a very upscale, suburban neighborhood on the Newton and Brookline Side and a collegiate area on the Boston College side. It is convenient to several subway lines and Route 9. Make sure the place is not in the rowdy student area called Cleveland Circle, which some realtors refer to as "Chestnut Hill" due to their proximity to one another and the latter's desirability.

It is as close to a renters/buyers market in Metro Boston now as it has been in years. There is no reason you should have turn to a Res inn or similar arrangements here.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 29,541 times
West Roxbury is very nice and safe. I had a condo there for 5 years as a single girl. It has a commuter line and the MBTA to get into the city easily. It has a busy shopping district with many restaurants, stores, places of worship, schools and banks. There are also credit unions which are great.

The Lagrange St. area would be a good choice for you. It is a very nice area. I would not recommend Washington St, not as nice.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM

12,857 posts, read 24,534,899 times
Don't assume that media jobs are likely to be in downtown Boston. If I remember, Houghton-Mifflin is in Burlington up on Rt. 128. There are probably jobs with university presses, and that location would be wherever the school is.
I agree that Tewksbury is quite far no matter what, and certainly for anything south/southwest of the city.
As pricey as it might be, it does seem that a Res hotel would be best because you don't have to make a commitment to that area, and you don't know where you'll be working.
Competition for anything media-related is as fierce as anywhere and more so, thanks to the colleges and Emerson College downtown. I'm not sure what area OP is working in, but without specific leads, I think a Plan B would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston