U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 PM

163 posts, read 491,295 times

Advertisements

I might be heading to MA for a while. Right now I'm in NJ but might end up going down near Boston to look for work.

I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment. Does anyone have any specific locations that are good for people living alone? What I mean by "good" is places that are safe and affordable but not too urban. I have a car also and I'd like some open space. I'm not really looking for a single's place with a lot of clubs, but more a relaxed environment that has plenty of things to do.

I've heard that Boston is nicer version of NY but I've never been there and have no idea where to start.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

83 posts, read 291,608 times
Some neighborhoods in the city of Somerville, which borders Boston and is intertwined with it both road and transit-wise, fit the bill. Ball Square and Powderhouse Square are quite low key and suburban. Union Square/Prospect Hill are a little less sleepy and closer to Boston.

Davis Square is nice too, but expensive. That's mainly because it's on the subway, and since you have a car...

If you want to live in Boston itself look at Brighton Center and Oak Square in Brighton. Jamaica Plain has some really nice parts as well, but two of the three subway stations that serve it, and some of the park areas, have a lot of petty crime like muggings, etc.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
A lot depends on your budget. It would also help to have an idea ahead of time where you might be working, as this could determine the most convenient areas to live.

If these areas work as far as proximity to work and price, you might want to check out Newton (particularly toward the north side--Newton Centre, W. Newton--if you're looking for something with hints of the city rather than totally suburban), Arlington, Belmont, or Waltham immediately north or south or southeast of downtown.

The areas DobermanBoston and I have suggested are inner suburbs for the most part, with either a mix of urban and suburban character or suburban but with hints of the city such as local commercial districts you could walk to. It's most likely your statement that you'd like to be near activities that has led us to suggest these areas. If you want something fully suburban but still close to activities, it gets a bit trickier. Then the best areas would depend in part on what activities you wanted nearby and which activities you wanted to be able to walk to if possible.

Last edited by ogre; 12-22-2010 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,530,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I might be heading to MA for a while. Right now I'm in NJ but might end up going down near Boston to look for work.

I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment. Does anyone have any specific locations that are good for people living alone? What I mean by "good" is places that are safe and affordable but not too urban. I have a car also and I'd like some open space. I'm not really looking for a single's place with a lot of clubs, but more a relaxed environment that has plenty of things to do.

I've heard that Boston is nicer version of NY but I've never been there and have no idea where to start.
I think you might be surprised to find that in Boston, the nicest part actually is the most urban part. Boston is very much a ladies town. Having a car however is always a problem - most people rent a parking space. Anyways, I suggest you look in town not just out of town - it's a lovely place to live. I recommend Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Brookline above all.

I put a lot of pix of life in Downtown on the Photo thread. Check it out:

Boston Photo Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
what about Jamaica plain and the area near the forest hills T? That looks somewhat less urban than the center of Boston.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
what about Jamaica plain and the area near the forest hills T? That looks somewhat less urban than the center of Boston.
For the most part that neighborhood is really nice but the Forest Hills station has the highest crime rate on the T (a lot of muggings, many in broad daylight), mostly because it's a hub for buses that serve Boston's worst neighborhoods and has become something of a teenage hangout.

So unless the original poster plans on never using public trans I couldn't say it's a good area for a single female to live. It's a shame really.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess by activities I just mean a place where I could easily get to stores and cafes or whatever. I like to take walks at night and would love to have places close to me (yoga, bookstores, etc.) or places with easy access for cars. I'm looking to be somewhat close to Andover because I have a friend who works there and I'll be visiting with him a lot. But other than that, I don't have a job yet so I have no idea what a good central place would be.

I looked at some rentals on Craigslist and found a few that would work cost-wise (between $1100-1500 per month) in these cities:

Tewksbury
Newton
Everett
Porter Square

Any input on Tewksbury or the other places? Sounds like Newton is okay from an earlier post. The complex in Tewksbury is new and offers a lot of flexibility with leasing. It sounds like that's pretty far away though?

I started to consider renting a room too but that probably opens up a whole can of worms and possible nightmare situations.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Also, if I don't find a place before I move, I might stay at a Marriott long-term housing at first.

They have them in these cities:

Dedham
Danvers
Woburn
Norwood
Brockton
Framingham
And also Tewksbury, which is the least expensive.

Any input on those locations?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess by activities I just mean a place where I could easily get to stores and cafes or whatever. I like to take walks at night and would love to have places close to me (yoga, bookstores, etc.) or places with easy access for cars. I'm looking to be somewhat close to Andover because I have a friend who works there and I'll be visiting with him a lot. But other than that, I don't have a job yet so I have no idea what a good central place would be.

I looked at some rentals on Craigslist and found a few that would work cost-wise (between $1100-1500 per month) in these cities:

Tewksbury
Newton
Everett
Porter Square

Any input on Tewksbury or the other places? Sounds like Newton is okay from an earlier post. The complex in Tewksbury is new and offers a lot of flexibility with leasing. It sounds like that's pretty far away though?

I started to consider renting a room too but that probably opens up a whole can of worms and possible nightmare situations.
Tewksbury is very far away from Boston. It is mostly residential working to middle class tract housing, with a "center" that consists of strip malls.

Newton is much more convenient. It's quite large though, and the different neighborhoods (called "Villages") have varying characteristics.

Everett is reasonably convenient. Many parts are run down, but overall it's improving.

Porter Square is where I'd choose to live of the four. It's right in the city, safe, and convenient.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Also, if I don't find a place before I move, I might stay at a Marriott long-term housing at first.

They have them in these cities:

Dedham
Danvers
Woburn
Norwood
Brockton
Framingham
And also Tewksbury, which is the least expensive.

Any input on those locations?
Woburn is the most convenient to Boston, followed by Danvers, Norwood, and Framingham.

All of these areas are middle class suburbs except for Framingham, a small city with a lot of commerce, and Brockton, which is a dumpy former mill town that has lots of crime issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston