U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM

606 posts, read 910,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
It is, you are correct!
I don't know. I was trying to go on things more than my opinion. Chelsea has the highest crime rate per capita of any city or town in Massachusetts. Maybe Mattapan's would be slightly higher if it could be listed. Anyways they're probably about the same. And anyway sometimes using the larger neighborhoods isn't as good as saying Franklin Fields or Fields Corner. I mean, there are parts of Mattapan that are fine to walk down the street during daylight hours without feeling unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
miu

16,487 posts, read 33,459,114 times
Over the weekend, I read the news stories about a MBTA bus driver being beaten up by 15 young males (I can't bring myself to refer to them as "young men") in Dorchester and a shooting in Roxbury...

MBTA bus driver beaten by mob | Boston Herald

Braintree man arrested in Roxbury shooting | Boston Herald

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,539,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Over the weekend, I read the news stories about a MBTA bus driver being beaten up by 15 young males (I can't bring myself to refer to them as "young men") in Dorchester and a shooting in Roxbury...

Yeah - Geneva Avenue. Bad place. If there was a cursed place, that would be it. They should make a memorial to all the people killed on that street. It wouldn't be small.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,240,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I don't know. I was trying to go on things more than my opinion. Chelsea has the highest crime rate per capita of any city or town in Massachusetts. Maybe Mattapan's would be slightly higher if it could be listed. Anyways they're probably about the same. And anyway sometimes using the larger neighborhoods isn't as good as saying Franklin Fields or Fields Corner. I mean, there are parts of Mattapan that are fine to walk down the street during daylight hours without feeling unsafe.
Chelsea is a city and Mattapan is a part of the City of Boston so it is hard to get statistics, I suppose.

And yes, of course, not to insult the many good and responsible people who live in Mattapan: I am sure you can walk down many, if not most, streets in the daytime and be quite safe. But the level of crime there is much higher, I am sure, than in certain other parts of Boston. This is so unfair for all of the great people who live there and want to lead productive, responsible lives - and that is most of them.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,240,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Honestly, I think that we are all beating a dead horse here. We would be lying if we didn't say that in African American, lower income neighborhoods, there is a much higher incidence of poverty and anti-social behavior by certain people. I do not think that this is because A.A.'s are inherently less responsible. I think that this is the legacy of centuries of oppression and racism and do believe that one day things will get better, once this nation is less and less white and more and more people of color, and racism is (I hope) more a thing of the past. Not to be Pollyanna-ish about this: Humans are, IMO, very selfish and flawed and so we will probably have plenty of crime, poverty and racism, always. But that is another forum, let alone thread.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM

7,900 posts, read 6,832,090 times
For clarity's sake, the article posted above says "15 youths" not "men", or "males," simply people under the age of 18. This article actually specifies a group of teen males: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...PTO/story.html. Interesting to note, seems like a female youth may have started the whole thing.

Secondly, I don't deny the legacy of Afican Americans being systematically discriminated against in this country having an effect today. However, these kids did not assault a bus driver because of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. They are likely a product of poverty, absentee parenting, and a number of other unfortunate things that come with all of that. But at the end of the day, most black people don't assault bus drivers, or anyone for that matter. Yes by and large, those things are connected to discrimination, BUT there is not a good excuse for ganging up and beating on and beating a bus driver. Period. To suggest that these kids just couldn't help it because of oppression is an insult to African Americans, portraying them as incapable of seeing the difference between right and wrong. Black people are still people, just like you.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 03-12-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,207 times
Okay, back on topic: What are your opinions and thoughts on Roslindale and Higland Park?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,113,470 times
There's a website for checking racial demographics of neighborhoods in the US and it's pretty useful.
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Unfortunately, places with a lot of African Americans or Latinos tend to have more crimes.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,665 times
I am curious as well. I purchased a place in Jeffries Point in East Boston and it's getting very gentrified, safe, and nice. I feel very safe here. However, I brought a truck from work once, the back was broken into and someone stole all the stuff out of the back. Petty crime.

I am thinking of buying some properties in Dorchester and/or Roxbury as they have TONS of property on the market at pretty decent prices but I would love some more insight as to what areas are safer, especially which T stations. So Ashmont = Bad. What else?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 7,732,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Honestly, I think that we are all beating a dead horse here. We would be lying if we didn't say that in African American, lower income neighborhoods, there is a much higher incidence of poverty and anti-social behavior by certain people. I do not think that this is because A.A.'s are inherently less responsible. I think that this is the legacy of centuries of oppression and racism and do believe that one day things will get better, once this nation is less and less white and more and more people of color, and racism is (I hope) more a thing of the past. Not to be Pollyanna-ish about this: Humans are, IMO, very selfish and flawed and so we will probably have plenty of crime, poverty and racism, always. But that is another forum, let alone thread.
Is this a serious post?

"Once this nation is less white, the lives of blacks will get better"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or