Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,426 times

Advertisements

As a life-long Philadelphian as well as a great admirer of Boston, I'd like to chime in. It's a bit hard to say what is "right for you" not knowing your gender, age, sexual orientation or wether you are single, married, kids, etc. I personally feel these factors play a huge part in your decision. For example, 2 incomes will get you better areas in both cities and the variance of you as a single person is also important. Unfortunately, your ethnicity plays a part as well. You will feel more comfortable as a minority in Philly than you may in Boston. Boston is more racially segregated in living areas than say, South Philly where blocks change every 10. You will however, get more for your money in Philly. "Developing" areas like Point Breeze in S. Philly are only getting better BUT you are a pioneer in that area right now...crime is a factor in Philly.
There is a great resurgence in Philly with young hipsters. Mostly because Philly real estate is undervalued. There is a nice nightlife in Philly for the arts, music, etc. Philly does not use it's waterways like Boston. Mostly because they are cut off from the city proper by I-76 and I-95...mistakes made long ago. I really like the old world aristocracy of Boston. It's a great walking city and the center of youth on the east coast. Your best bet is to visit the areas and see what appeals to you.. I live in Collingswood, as someone pointed out and although it's NJ, I'm in the city in 11 minutes by train and I get suburban, artsy as well as green space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
There is a great resurgence in Philly with young hipsters. Mostly because Philly real estate is undervalued.
I think you've captured one of the essential differences between Boston and Philadelphia. Philadelphia is much cheaper and, thus, much more appealing to hipsters.

Boston has fundamentally the same issue as NYC (particularly Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn). That is, it has become so expensive (even in a down economy) that a lot of the economic diversity that I once took for granted has disappeared. Like Manhattan, it is getting harder and harder to find places where "up and coming" people can exist. When I moved to Boston over 20 years ago, the Combat Zone was still alive and kicking downtown, Bay Village still had an edge, Fort Point Channel was homesteading country, Jamaica Plain was edgy, and the idea of a gentrified Southie was laughable.

BTW: I lived for years in NYC, and I find it hard to believe how much of the artsy diversity has been whitewashed (no racial overtones intended) from places like the East and West Villages, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen ... well, you get the idea.

So, if you're looking for more "edge" out of life, I'd suggest Philly.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM

The winters in Boston are, on average, worse than Philly. The last year, however would not show much difference, though! Usually our winters lacked any snow at all but we made up for it. Prices in general are less here...fuel, alcohol, services. I think the more NE, you get, the more you pay.
You also get the NJ, Delaware and Md. seashores in the summer rather than just the traffic of the Cape. Philly is basically empty on summer weekends as everybody hits the beaches that start in Atlantic City (1 hour) and go out from there to a max of 2 hours drive. Not bad.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You also get the NJ, Delaware and Md. seashores in the summer rather than just the traffic of the Cape.
Actually, once again, you've hit on a key item I hadn't even thought about. Cape traffic notwithstanding, the beaches in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are far nicer than those in NJ or DE, with the possible exception of Cape May. And, if you stick to the south shore of MA and RI, the water is pretty much as warm in the summer. That's important to me, but may not be to you.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM

I went to P-Town in the summer and the only water I got in was in a pool! It was FREEZING! I would have to disagree on the beach towns. Towns like Stone Harbor($$$$), Avalon ($$$) are fantastic. Rehoboth Beach, DE. is full of DC "Hill" people and was recently voted one of the best beach towns in the USA.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I went to P-Town in the summer and the only water I got in was in a pool! It was FREEZING!
Sure beats the mutant crabs at Rehoboth Only someone who could find Ocean City, MD "charming" would vote Rehoboth one of the best beach towns in the country (your opinion may vary).

And, P-town doesn't get the Gulf Stream which, at that point, is already on its way to Europe. But, I still like a bracing dip at Race Point! Hope you had a great time at P-town, which is a lot of fun by any standard.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Haha...Maybe another trip to P-Town this summer to compare!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM

158 posts, read 545,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
And, P-town doesn't get the Gulf Stream which, at that point, is already on its way to Europe. But, I still like a bracing dip at Race Point! Hope you had a great time at P-town, which is a lot of fun by any standard.
Bingo. A little oceanography for people. Labrador Gulf comes from the North. The rocky, cold coast of northern New England is what many people envision. It looks good, but is useless as a beach. Southern NE gets the Mexico stream, and the currents create beautiful beaches. The Mexico Gulf tails off mid-Cape. I think Narragansett beaches are amazing, some of the best on the East Coast.

Which also leads me to another favorable and underrated aspect of Boston. I think Boston is great for day/weekend trippers. Lot of people are lazy, so it doesn't matter. But there are few places, where you can get find great skiing and great beaches within a couple hour drive. White Mts, Green Wts, Bershires, Bar Harbor, Maine Coast, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Providence, Newport, Narragansett, Foxwoods...

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Well yes, what IrFox explained was exactly my intent.
Yeah, I don't consider only the "business districts" to be the sole components of "downtown." If that was true, what makes the Boylston Spine (where the Hancock and Pru are located in the Back Bay neighborhood) any less of a business district than DTX or Financial District? The core central neighborhoods are "downtown" and the Financial District is just that... the Financial District. DTX is the center of downtown, not the only part of it. I guess people have differing POV's.

Quote:
BTW IrFox, are you considering coming to Dallas? I can't say that I recommend it. I gave up a lot of amenities in BOS for lofty promises of great economy here which is simply not true.
No. I've been to Dallas before (a few times). I like it, but certainly wouldn't live there. Not my type of place. Hope you can make it back!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Financial jobs in Philly are not that abundent right now unless you have IT skills. In which case you could land a good job in SAP or Deloitte which are based here. The main component over Boston is that cost of living in Philly is much less. This includes buying a home as Philly had one of the best "up" real estate markets in the nation. The buys are there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston