U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,122,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
I think they are very similar. One main difference is that Philly is a city in decline.
Census estimates have Philadelphia growing by ~100,000 people between 2000 and 2009.

The main difference between Boston and Philadelphia, economically, is that Boston's industrial decline occurred during the 1950's and 1960's, while Philadelphia's industrial decline occurred during the 1970's and 1980's. Therefore, Boston has had more time to polish itself and rebuild its image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 AM

624 posts, read 1,162,641 times
[quote=mm4;17299977]Bostonian08, lingering compacted sidewalk snow doesn't = ice.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,955,836 times
[quote=dtownboogie;17312423]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Bostonian08, lingering compacted sidewalk snow doesn't = ice.

Bostonians can be forgiven for never having seen ice fall from the sky in a form other than snowflakes. Slapping your foreheads can't help.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM

379 posts, read 344,469 times
I haven't been out of the northeast for an extended period of time, but I will tell you that there is a palpable difference in the way women look at, act toward, and generally receive men outside New England and the Mid Atlantic states. Actually, probably most of the east coast megalopolis, although I think it gets better as you go south (Boston probably being the worst, DC probably being the best).

I recently spent time in and around Pittsburgh, eastern Ohio, and a little bit in western VA and WV. The difference in approachability to women is drastically improved in these areas vs Northeast. I was blown away by how women were receptive to talking to you, touching you, and would tell you their life story if you were willing to listen. And these were attractive, thin girls in their late 20's, early 30's that would never give me the time of day in North Jersey, without asking what kind of car I drive or what I did for a living first. I could have worked at a McDonalds for all these women knew, and still they flirted away. It caused me to seriously rethink where to live, as I have not had much success here in NJ/PA.

My only question is: does it get even better the further west that you go (not including high-status areas like LA or San Fran). I imagine Dallas girls being even more approachable than Ohio girls, for example?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,955,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
I haven't been out of the northeast for an extended period of time, but I will tell you that there is a palpable difference in the way women look at, act toward, and generally receive men outside New England and the Mid Atlantic states. Actually, probably most of the east coast megalopolis, although I think it gets better as you go south (Boston probably being the worst, DC probably being the best).

I recently spent time in and around Pittsburgh, eastern Ohio, and a little bit in western VA and WV. The difference in approachability to women is drastically improved in these areas vs Northeast. I was blown away by how women were receptive to talking to you, touching you, and would tell you their life story if you were willing to listen. And these were attractive, thin girls in their late 20's, early 30's that would never give me the time of day in North Jersey, without asking what kind of car I drive or what I did for a living first. I could have worked at a McDonalds for all these women knew, and still they flirted away. It caused me to seriously rethink where to live, as I have not had much success here in NJ/PA.

My only question is: does it get even better the further west that you go (not including high-status areas like LA or San Fran). I imagine Dallas girls being even more approachable than Ohio girls, for example?
Draw a diagonal line from New England through South Texas (including Massachusetts); they're all the same.

Farther east, DC, farther west, Chicago and beyond, forget it, a little different.

Western Pennsylvania and Ohio women are awesome. You'll actually find a number of attractive D/FW women were part of the great OH migration in the early 80s.

Last edited by mm4; 01-08-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM

31 posts, read 85,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
If you'll settle for grittier but more personable, PHL. FYI, NYC is smack dab in the middle of the two in every way, except only "moreso". ;-)
Funny and true. Although, you failed to mention how crazy expensive it is to live well in Boston. In many ways, if you like to travel, shop, eat out, pretty much live life. You'll need more than $60,000. At $80,000 you'd probably be ok. Living downtown is crazy expensive.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM

31 posts, read 85,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Diversity: Philly is much more African American (generally poor, it seems). Seems more homeless hanging around their downtown. A 30 y.o. from Philly living in Southie told me this year he wants to move back. Claims Boston has "no culture" (I think he meant cultural diversity).
True. Boston has A culture. There is really no diversity here. Sure there are immigrants, but they tend to simply disappear or become completely absorbed into Boston culture. Because Boston is so small, the culture created by it's downtown areas seems to extend to all it's surrounding towns. The people here are mostly homogeneous. And if you're from Dallas you will consider the northend, backbay, etc... all to be part of downtown because you can basically walk from one place to another in 5 to 10 minutes.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
To me the worst thing about Boston is how people act so cold and shutdown. This phenomenon has been discussed 1000 ways here on CD and everywhere else. Bostonians "won't look you in the eye", "are cold", are "snobby". Other people have said "reserved", keep to themselves, insular. Once you get there you'll see. Never impolite. Always helpful with directions. But don't expect long talks on the T about life and all. It's pretty weird. In Dallas you hardly see anybody but when you do, conversation flows naturally.
First, thank you for the in depth information. I got a lot from it. I believe I would enjoy Boston because of the energy that you described and unity the city seems to carry with historical events. Of course, Philly is a thought because of the cost of living, but overall... I want to be in an environment that will suffice me. I love the pictures and I must say that your post is very persuasive.

Now, I am an extrovert and socializing is major for me. I like to talk and hang out with people. I will see what it is that you are saying "and others" about the coldness of people this year. I plan on visiting Boston in April. We shall see. Thanks for the information and comparisons to Dallas b/c that helped a lot. The pictures were a bonus. Thanks and be blessed.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Financial jobs in Philly are not that abundent right now unless you have IT skills.
Thanks, this is very useful information. The fact that Boston may have a better corporate environment is a bonus for me. Thanks for this info.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

681 posts, read 1,273,259 times
Again, you have to weigh it. Opportunity to get a good job and advancement vs. lower cost of of living and much more affordable houseing in Philly. I look around at areas of S. Philly that used to be old-school Italian people and see hipsters and young people flooding the row homes and bars.. In the long run, you may get good bang for your buck. In many S. Philly neighborhoods, rowhomes that went for 25-65K in 1999 are going for $250K - 400K today. Insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or