U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
It's not an area that seems to be actively seeking any particular group, it's just pretty laid back & welcoming, at least where we are.
Exactly my point. The Boston area and its suburbs are very neutral about all particular groups in their neighborhoods. They aren't actively friendly and trying to recruit any particular group(s) to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM

26 posts, read 80,961 times
my partner and i live in southie and have found it a great place to live. there is a growing gay population here. newsouthie.com has once a month gay events in southie.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM

6,978 posts, read 6,696,703 times
As long as you don't advertize it you should be fine. We have a "live and let live" attitude here in N.E. but have a reserved demeanor when it comes to personal matters like this, and expect the same from others. Just don't come expecting this to be San Francisco, waving the flag is generally frowned upon. I won't make my business yours if you don't make yours mine!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,576,164 times
We except everyone here in Boston and the surrounding areas!!!!

We are friendly, not like what most people think in the rest of the country!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM

873 posts, read 1,427,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As long as you don't advertize it you should be fine. We have a "live and let live" attitude here in N.E. but have a reserved demeanor when it comes to personal matters like this, and expect the same from others. Just don't come expecting this to be San Francisco, waving the flag is generally frowned upon. I won't make my business yours if you don't make yours mine!
Straight people "advertise" all the time. It's all around you if you look for it.

I don't see any reason why a little PDA should be something that should be kept behind closed doors whether it be gay or straight and have never felt that people in Boston don't like hand holding and such when straight people do it. I wouldn't say I've felt comfortable doing it in most areas of Boston besides those mentioned in this thread.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 AM

234 posts, read 520,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanBoston View Post
Yeah, the South End has surpassed even the Back Bay in desirability. Even the area between Harrison and Albany.

Funny that a little over thirty years ago it was considered one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. My family in FIELDS CORNER used to warn us to stay out of there when we were kids lol.
That's funny!

Well, in some form, it's nice that the neighborhood was "cleaned up" mostly because of the gay population in that area, but sad that many are now being squeezed out price wise. I have friends that live in the Dorchester neighborhoods that were mentioned. There's definitely a sense of a gay community out there, and it's more affordable.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,473 times
Quote:
Wow! This sounds like a quote from 1980. To correct this poster's distorted observation, let me edit it a bit: "As long as you advertize it you should be fine. We have a "live and let live" attitude here in N.E. but have a reserved demeanor, and couldn't care less when it comes to personal matters like this. No one expects anything from others in areas like this. Just don't come expecting this to be San Francisco, because you'll be disappointed with the weather. On the other hand, you can easily, legally get married in the first state in the country to award that benefit. I won't make my business yours if you don't make yours mine, but then I probably won't have any business and will be unemployed!"

I hope that "straightens things out" a bit.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,793 times
We are a gay couple and live in Salem - it is wonderful... Lots of other lgbtq couples and singles - close to the 95 / 93 - train stop - great restaurants [lyceum or majors]

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM

6,978 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Wow! This sounds like a quote from 1980. To correct this poster's distorted observation, let me edit it a bit: "As long as you advertize it you should be fine. We have a "live and let live" attitude here in N.E. but have a reserved demeanor, and couldn't care less when it comes to personal matters like this.
Easy there pal, that may apply in JP, South End etc. but don't be giving a false impression to the OP (if he/she is even still around) about the majority of the area. I guess the rest of us are still living in 1980. Bring back the Reagan Years if you ask me! There is a big difference between "personal business" and how you carry yourself in public. PDA in a Dunkin Donuts or Shaws in any given area (other than JP et.al.) will get you looks and probably other unwelcoming reactions, and for a good reason. Some things are public and some are very private. And I won't even get into Landsdowne St/Fanuel Hall on a weekend night, do yourself a favor and don't make yourself out to be a target.

and btw, San Francisco weather blows and so does their seafood!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,473 times
Quote:
Easy there pal, that may apply in JP, South End etc. but don't be giving a false impression to the OP (if he/she is even still around) about the majority of the area. I guess the rest of us are still living in 1980. Bring back the Reagan Years if you ask me! There is a big difference between "personal business" and how you carry yourself in public. PDA in a Dunkin Donuts or Shaws in any given area (other than JP et.al.) will get you looks and probably other unwelcoming reactions, and for a good reason. Some things are public and some are very private. And I won't even get into Landsdowne St/Fanuel Hall on a weekend night, do yourself a favor and don't make yourself out to be a target.

and btw, San Francisco weather blows and so does their seafood!
Easy pal, yourself. I know what I'm talking about and your views don't define my Boston (greater, inner-city or otherwise). I don't know what your sexuality is (nor do I care), but I assure you that Greater Boston is THE most tolerant place I've ever lived - including New York. Can't speak to your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or