U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,908,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
point is, no one is stopping anyone of any race/gender/sexual orientation from living anywhere. if you're lower income and want to live in a nice place, do something to change your income level or do as miu pointed out and rent a room instead. if you want to settle for "ghetto housing", that's on you, but no one is forcing you to do so. I've never had to do so (well, I do consider Allston to be a student ghetto). I've lived in quite a few decent-nice areas, even on a cheap student budget
I don't want to live in a 'ghetto'. But at my age, I also don't want to live like a 19 year old student, and live with roommates. I've got lots of experience in my field, and would want to get a job where I'm paid at least $45K a year(I'm worth more than that). I don't think that it's too much to ask, to live in a neighborhood where my safety isn't in jeorpardy, and in my OWN apt., where I can have my own space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,017,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
So you're saying that Rosindale is cheaper than JP. Is it also safer than JP, and does it have the same amenities, as JP (good public transit, plenty of restaurants, farmers markets, libraries, jobs, ect.)?
One of the nice things about Jamaica Plain - and Roslindale, for that matter - is that most of the businesses in both places are locally, independently owned. So, you don't get a "cookie-cutter" living existence as you might in some other places.

As for the "safety" issues; both places are fine. In fact, as I've said on these forums a number of times before, the obsession with "safety" borders on the pathological. JP and Rossie would be just peachy for a womyn like you!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
One of the nice things about Jamaica Plain - and Roslindale, for that matter - is that most of the businesses in both places are locally, independently owned. So, you don't get a "cookie-cutter" living existence as you might in some other places.

As for the "safety" issues; both places are fine. In fact, as I've said on these forums a number of times before, the obsession with "safety" borders on the pathological. JP and Rossie would be just peachy for a womyn like you!
I can understand the concerns about safety, especially for women living alone. I lived in Oakland a few years ago, and there was a murder, right accross the street from my apt. Not to mention not feeling safe, going out after dark. There were always scary characters, walking the streets there. Even in the Oakland library, lots of frightening people walked in and out. Once, a guy in the library threatened to shoot people, in a fit of rage. So you've gotta understand my concerns about my personal safety.

That being said, I'm glad that JP and Roslindale, are basically safe. Now if I could only find an employer in Boston, that will offer me relocation funds!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,017,469 times
Quote:
I can understand the concerns about safety, especially for women living alone. I lived in Oakland a few years ago, and there was a murder, right accross the street from my apt. Not to mention not feeling safe, going out after dark. There were always scary characters, walking the streets there. Even in the Oakland library, lots of frightening people walked in and out. Once, a guy in the library threatened to shoot people, in a fit of rage. So you've gotta understand my concerns about my personal safety.

That being said, I'm glad that JP and Roslindale, are basically safe. Now if I could only find an employer in Boston, that will offer me relocation funds!
FWIW: Absolutely no place in Boston bears a resemblance to Oakland, CA - from a crime perspective. And, that includes the "worst" parts of Boston around Bowdoin-Geneva in Dorchester.

Oakland's level of violent crime is something you'll never experience in Boston (unless you're looking for it). I hope that makes you feel better. BTW: I've been told by a friend from Oakland that people have recently been robbed INSIDE restaurants in the Lake Merritt area. Yikes!!! So, I can understand what you mean.

Sorry to say that relocation funds are thing of the ancient past! Best of luck and enjoy your new home!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
FWIW: Absolutely no place in Boston bears a resemblance to Oakland, CA - from a crime perspective. And, that includes the "worst" parts of Boston around Bowdoin-Geneva in Dorchester.

Oakland's level of violent crime is something you'll never experience in Boston (unless you're looking for it). I hope that makes you feel better. BTW: I've been told by a friend from Oakland that people have recently been robbed INSIDE restaurants in the Lake Merritt area. Yikes!!! So, I can understand what you mean.

Sorry to say that relocation funds are thing of the ancient past! Best of luck and enjoy your new home!
You're right about the crime in the Lake Merritt area. I lived in downtown Oakland, in the Malonga Art Center apartments. They were primarily for artists, actors, muscians, and writers. The rent was dirt-cheap ($350 dollara s month).

However, you get what you pay for. Management were trying to push the tenants out, because they wanted to sell the building to greedy developers. So maintenance severely neglected the building. We had to contend with roaches, rats, and sometimes the heat not working.

We had security guards at the front desk, in the Malonga Center. And tenants lived in the upper floors (4,5, and 6), while the studios, library, and performance spaces, were on the bottom floor through the 3rd floors.
I went to the 3rd floor often, to use my laptop, and relax.

One Saturday evening, when the 3rd floor was deserted, I was using my laptop there. A woman came in, and starting harassing me. She had somehow slipped by the security guard. She then ran downstairs, and out of the building. Security never caught her, and I was lucky that she didn't get violent with me.

There were always scary characters walking around the area. There was a murder right accross the street, from the Malonga Art Center. If you were in the local McDonald's, panhandlers were constantly begging you for change, inside while you were eating. And at the local library, you had to have a key to get in the ladie's room, because you might get harrassed by crazy people.

So I'm glad to hear that I won't have to cope with any of that, anywhere in Boston!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
miu

16,521 posts, read 33,501,499 times
Quote:
Now if I could only find an employer in Boston, that will offer me relocation funds!
Quote:
Sorry to say that relocation funds are thing of the ancient past!
rranger - Many thanks for bringing that up. I didn't want to be the one to point that out.

Otherwise, JP is slowing getting more expensive to live in. It's becoming more gentrified. For example, a Whole Foods aka Whole Paycheck market is coming to that neighborhood. But as someone on the NPR radio show pointed out, all neighborhoods change over time, they are always in flux.

Mixed Reactions To Whole Foods Store Opening In Jamaica Plain | WBUR

BTW one shouldn't blame greedy developers for the higher costs of living. It takes lots of money to maintain a nice apartment building properly. New roofs, replacing worn appliances, new plumbing, wiring and paint, having a building maintenance crew, pest control, increased property taxes... all adds up. Landlords charge cheap rent only when it's hard to find tenants. And collecting cheap rent doesn't bring in enough money to encourage all but the most urgent repairs.

And sadly, those that get cheap rents tend not to take good care of their dwellings or neighborhoods. Low rent areas are easily apparent because their streets are filled with trash and their buildings covered with graffiti. Walking in those neighborhoods, one can see many people just tossing trash on the sidewalks. More expensive neighborhoods look clean and have no graffiti. One never sees people throwing away their sandwich wrappers and other garbage on the ground.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,083,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Minor factual correction: the 39 bus is what replaced the old trolley line in Jamaica Plain.

I like "Rozzie" but don't exactly love it. It's definitely quieter and more affordable than JP. Starting in the '90s, the neighborhood square started to become revitalized with the help of federal "Main Streets" money. It was "rebranded" as Roslindale Village (which no one calls it.) The results have always been mixed and more recently are not as good. Some of the trendy/yuppie types of businesses ended up not being able to make a go of it. However, others such as a coffee shop remain among the cellphone stores and corner markets. Night life is limited to the neighborhood restaurants and taverns, among which the Pleasant Café on Washington St is a personal "like."

During three decades in Massachusetts I've been happy to see that many communities whose citizens were hostile to "outsiders" and anybody who didn't look like them have mellowed. Rozzie definitely falls into this category. There are enough Hispanics that businesses (not only bodegas) which cater to them are in place. Once a "sundown town," Rozzie now counts numerous AA households and not only within its "projects." Its Greek enclave, along - oddly enough - Belgrade Ave is still thriving. And although you won't see legions of babies being promenaded by their two moms, no one blinks an eye when one or a couple of same-sexers take up residence.
I have been gone for years however the Pleasant Cafe was great Also I would
walk far to then the cleaners Aldrich on Washinghtin street, They were real nice people and also did a great job! There also was a real nice family with a Delli Clause they did move but they had another reason. When I did live there
I did find the bus on Centre Street, or Washington got me to the T and to
work in the city. Think of your job, and what you may pay.
Centre Street is a real long street !

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-23-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 AM

8 posts, read 12,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
It's cheaper than JP because it's not as good-- not as colorful, not as much of a scene, not as hip, more bland, not nearly as good transportation (it's beyond reach of the orange line which serves JP, and JP has the very frequent 57 bus that replaced the Arborway streetcar line.) It borders the AA at one end, which is nice, but has no great public space where everyone comes to hang out to compare with Jamaica Pond.
there are things going on, but rozzie tends to be a little more family-orientated and older... so it's quieter. adams park has potential as a major central gathering space (saturday farmer's market was insanely busy this past year and there are a handful of weekday events in the summer - mostly for families, though) - the park needs some work, and I know a lot of plans were put on hold these past couple years. hopefully the old substation (big vacant building at one end of the park) will be occupied soon, and the new building going up next to the library is supposed to get at least another restaurant/coffee shop + some retail.

the big "hang out" space is peter's hill in the arboretum. go up there on a nice weekend evening and there's at least 2 or 3 dozen people milling about with their dogs and/or babies. if you're lucky someone will be up there playing guitar (or as I discovered last summer, a jazz trio).

a bus comes every literally every couple minutes down washington to forest hills... though, it's a transfer to the orange line or to the 57.

Quote:
Does the commuter rail in Roslindale, go into Boston, and/or other suburbs? And is Roslindale very ethnically diverse? Are the safest areas of Roslindale, also the most costly, with regards to housing? Also, is Roslindale as accepting of those in the gay and lesbian community, as JP is supposed to be?
rozzie has a decent size lesbian/gay population and is pretty mixed racially and ethnically. people are generally very friendly.

the most expensive area is north/west of the commuter rail line next to the arboretum (still cheaper than most of JP) - most of the neighborhood is pretty safe for the city. there are a few rough pockets (hyde park ave after dark, washington street north of the square, the area around allandale) - but incidents are pretty isolated. most of the trouble seems to happen when the middle school and high school kids get out in the afternoon - esp. at forest hills. but like any urban area you just have a keep your wits about you.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,417,863 times
Quote:
So you're saying that Rosindale is cheaper than JP. Is it also safer than JP, and does it have the same amenities, as JP (good public transit, plenty of restaurants, farmers markets, libraries, jobs, ect.)?
Others have given you some good info on this, but I want to just add another emphatic yes. There are essentially two differences between Rozzie and JP. One is distance from downtown, the other is pace. JP is a little bit closer to downtown, and a little bit faster paced. Roslindale tends to be populated in large part by people who once lived in JP, but moved when it came time to have a family. Larger yards and houses for the same cost for a neighborhood that is literally just a mile down the road. Most people I know who've made the migration find that they prefer Roslindale (though admittedly, this is probably tied to the point they are at in their life). Both are great neighborhoods, and very similar. And as I've said, they are right next door to each other. If I need something I can't find in Roslindale, I go to JP or West Roxbury. It's all the same corner of Boston.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,814,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
JP has the very frequent 57 bus that replaced the Arborway streetcar line.
It's the 39 bus. The 57 is the bus that replaced the other street car line through Brighton to Watertown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston