U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere in Jamaica Plain these days that would be safe for a young college girl to live in and to take public transit to alone late at night? She is a music student and has late night concerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,748,830 times
Fenway and Mission Hill are becoming increasingly safer and are closer to the music schools. Do always check crime reports for specific areas and bus routes.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,431,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapfish13 View Post
Is there anywhere in Jamaica Plain these days that would be safe for a young college girl to live in and to take public transit to alone late at night? She is a music student and has late night concerts.
A lot depends on the individual. When I was in college, I never ever had any problems working at night in South Providence, but I walked with confidence and didn't dress in a feminine fashion. I'd be in jeans, sneakers and topping that off with a beat up old army jacket. No makeup on. No handbag to grab and I could run if I needed to.

But I do see some young women that to me, look like good potential victims. They dress sexy and like their high heels. They have expensive Coach handbags. They are a size 0 and look easy to knock down.

Anyway, JP is a vibrant, artsy area along the main streets. But the farther away from Centre street, in the quieter residential areas, it can be very dark at light with just the overhead street lights.

As someone else suggested, when looking at apartments or other residential real estate, it's very smart to go back in the evenings to check out the neighborhood. And don't rush these visits, but walk around and even find a place to sit and just absorb the area's atmosphere. A daytime visit doesn't give you enough information. AND... everyone has a different reaction to things. What feels safe to one young woman might feel unsafe to another one. And do listen to your gut feelings. Never feel embarrassed admitting to feeling uncomfortable in any situation or neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM

974 posts, read 1,263,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Does the commuter rail in Roslindale, go into Boston, and/or other suburbs? And is Roslindale very ethnically diverse? Are the safest areas of Roslindale, also the most costly, with regards to housing? Also, is Roslindale as accepting of those in the gay and lesbian community, as JP is supposed to be?
It's the sad, sad story of the LGBT exodus - an appropriate story during Passover, too.

Once the community was out priced in the South End, the people split in their haste for affordable, but cute, housing. Half packed their trendy in-house studios and wheatgerm smoothies to JP and the other half made the perilous journey to Dot and its gritty urbanity.

Once JP became overpriced, the chosen people were again forced into exile in Roslindale- land of tasty ethic bakeries and annoying commuter rail woes.

Roz is annoyingly expensive. Last year when I was looking, I couldn't find anything under $250k for a 1br condo.

If you work in the city, it's annoying to pay so much more for the commuter rail and still be so inconvenienced by it. Orange line at least gets you somewhere.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Hopes were high for Washington St to rebound after the el tracks were removed, but this hasn't happened appreciably much. That particular area still has gang problems (which, paradoxically, have next to no effect on some streets immediately nearby.)
A few years later, can anyone speak to how accurate this statement is? How has Washington St changed- or not? I know it's a long street, are certain areas along it better than others? I'd imagine near Forest Hills is a little sketchier; how about near Green St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston