Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

28 posts, read 34,093 times

Advertisements

What is Boston like? Good parks and entertainment? Good quality of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl102 View Post
A picture's worth 1000 words. Start here:

Boston Photo Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM

83 posts, read 343,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl102 View Post
Our major parks were designed by Frederick Law Olmstead of Central Park fame, and Boston is world class in terms of sport, arts, theatre and nightlife.

Quality of life is trickier. If you don't have a decent overall income and disposable income it can be a drag, as things are expensive here. The Boston public schools are a disgrace even by urban standards, though some of the neighboring towns have decent systems. The weather is horrid here.

On the plus side it's a beautiful city; it is among the US cities with the highest percentages of quality housing stock. There is excellent and diverse architecture in all corners of Boston. Three of the four subway lines are very good and efficient. Boston may be my favorite walking city in the world and I'm quite well travelled.

My favorite thing about living in this area overall is it's proximity to places such as Acadia National Park, The Cape Cod National Seashore, New York City, and The White Mountains. All of these destinations are a half a day's drive or less away. In an hour or so you can get to any number of cool satellite cities such as Lowell, Portsmouth, NH, and Providence, RI.

Last edited by DobermanBoston; 01-09-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
"World class" in nightlife? No way.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM

83 posts, read 343,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
"World class" in nightlife? No way.
Well, stuff closes earlier than many would like, but Boston/Cambridge is on the itineraries of touring rock bands worldwide.

It's one of the few American cities left with anything resembling a jazz scene.

The Middle East is considered one of the premiere independent venues in the US by several generations of the music press, from Rolling Stone to Pitchfork media.

The DJ and dancing scene is not really my area of expertise but my friends here who are into that sort of thing don't seem to have any complaints.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

158 posts, read 545,601 times
This question would solicit better answers if you describe yourself and your interests a little.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Red Sox. Pats. Pubs. Willfully upscale. College students. Professionals. Technology. Medical. Academia. Pretty. Much more expensive than average. Liberal, but socially reserved (often seen as "cold"). Cold---literally. Old. Historic. Big city in a small package. Irish. Italian. Catholic. That's Boston to me.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-09-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
If I was going to nitpick I'd say the Middle East is in Cambridge, not boston.

Sports are up there but it gets into a paradox. Each time one team does well prices go up. It's nearly impossible to get pats tickets or redsox ones. Celtics maybe...Bruins are cheap...Revs they nearly give away.

Arts are good but I think it varies. MFA is huge right now...it's only 5% smaller than the louvre (I've been there too). The MoS I think doesn't really change much. Seriously when I went there a few years ago it looked the same when I went there 23 years ago! Sure there's the visiting exhibitions but that's it. Computer Museum is like going into my closet.

Smaller venues can be a bit better. MIT's museum doesn't have the crowds. The MBTA might not be that clean or fast but is is pretty cheap.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^Don't forget Gardener and ICA. Both renowned art museums. Performing arts too. Boston Ballet? Symphony? Pops? What about the venues? Jordan Hall is considered as acoustically perfect as you can get. Not to mention it's beautiful. Boston is an international city on that level.

Nightlife? Eh. Not so much. Then again, it's no worse than San Francisco which is very much a world class city. Still, it's not New York, LA, Miami, Vegas, etc. Clubs close early and they're not as outlandish as those cities. You can have fun at night in Boston, but it's not a party town.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Gardener is interesting due to the theft.

The major problem I see with boston is pretty much that it's too geared to youth. Don't get me wrong it has the best sports scene in the country (maybe in the whole planet), probably the best bar scene in the country. If you want to go to school of course there are many choices and of course medical care.

But then you graduate..you don't drink as much and bars get boring. People might not need medical care enough to justify the higher cost of living here. If all students stayed in the state if not the country we'd have a much higher population. Basically as people retire I don't think they'll come here for more than a seasonal thing in the summer. Moving out to the suburbs isn't always the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston