U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whose More Popular, The Celtics or The Bruins?
The Celtics, by far, noticable gap, unconditionally 6 26.09%
The Celtics are ahead 7 30.43%
The Celtics, slightly 1 4.35%
Depends on their records 1 4.35%
The Bruins, hockey by far unconditionally 2 8.70%
The Bruins are ahead 3 13.04%
The Bruins, slightly 1 4.35%
Equal 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM

755 posts, read 1,657,536 times

Advertisements

Whose more popular, the Celtics or the Bruins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Celtics right now have a lot of bandwagon fans. Bruins have a more loyal fan base. Tough to call really, but even with the Celtics recent success, I'd say it's pretty even.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

80 posts, read 225,310 times
I have to say its The Celtics ( Not by much ). Hockey loss me as a fan, I hate the overtime loss rule . Giving a team a credit for a overtime loss is STUPID . The Red Sox don't get a half of win when they get beat in extra innings . The Celtics don't get a half of win when they get beat in overtime. Hockey need to get rid of that overtime loss Pts crap. Look at the Hockey standings, It look like amost every team has a winning record because of that stupid overtime loss crap. OK back to the subject. I think the Bruins need some playoff success or the Bruins fan base may drop down to the New England Revs fan base. Sounds crazy, but I remember when not many people was a fan of the New England Patriots.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,010,089 times
Sox>Pats>Celts>Bruins

Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

158 posts, read 455,773 times
Celtics appeal to broader demographics. Hockey is somewhat regionalized. I grew up an hour south of Boston, and we didn't even have hockey programs in high school. But people in parts of the North Shore are crazy about hockey. The fans that the Bruins have are loyal and knowledgable, but the base is limited in scope.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 AM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
In the past 2 years, with the Bruins winning one playoff round in successuve years (finally!), I've certainly seen more people wearing Bruins caps and attire on my Red Line travels. But one still sees more Celtics attire.

I don't think they're in ANY danger of falling to the level of the soccer Revs.

The Bruins have now sold out 50 straight home games dating to last year. No big deal? It is. That's incredible for them, despite its alway being a hockey town (supposedly).

I've followed their attendance since their glory days of the early-mid 70s, when hockey ruled here according to those living here. They have NOT sold out an entire season, or a string of sellouts like this streak, since maybe 1975, when the old Garden held 14,000+ vs. 17,565 today. They had Bobby Orr then, and a couple recent Stanley Cups. They did not regularly fill the 14,673 or so seats in late 80s/early 90s even with two finals appearances in '88 and '90.

I think last year's Winter Classic at Fenway Park really gained them more recognition, as well as the epic blowing of the round 2 series to Philly while up 3-0 in games along with 3-0 in game 7 at home! It's intensified the hunger of an already growing and reconnecting fan base.

Meanwhile, Celts have sold out every game (18,625 capacity) for over 4 years now (?).

Bruins did have a higher tv rating than Celts on one playoff nite last May head to head, but maybe only that night in last years playoff where a few games did air the same night..

I'm looking for the NBA and NHL tv ratings to be released soon for the first half of this season. That is possibly the ultimate gauge in interest?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Right...the Bruins game 4 against the Flyers that went into overtime outdid the Celtics game 3 against the Cavs.
The cavets...the Bruins game went into OT, was close, and would have sent them into the next round.
The Celtics game was a blowout, they lost by the most points ever in the playoffs.

I think it says something that that ONE game is getting publicity, it tells me just how rare it is for the Bruins to outrank the Celtics, because obviously if it was normal they wouldn't have made a big deal.

Bruins regularly filled the old Garden, although the Celtics hold the longest sell out streak in Boston sports, from 1980-1995

Last year the Celtics TV ratings outdid the Bruins by over 50%:
Boston - Celtics: 3.7 - Bruins 2.16
Cavs boost NBA
NHL

I guess these figures do show Celtics are greater than the Bruins?
Only question...is it unconditional?
How big the gap?
And if so...why then did the Celtics draw poorly when good in the 60s/early 70s and the Bruins sellout even when bad in the 60s?
Why did the Bruins 2 titles in the 70s lead to hockey being so big, when the Celtics were winning titles during the same span?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Bump

Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM

2,229 posts, read 4,376,070 times
I didn't grow up watching or playing hockey, but I grew up and played a lot of basketball. I much prefer college basketball to the NBA. One thing about hockey I have always enjoyed is playoff hockey. Playoff hockey to me is a lot more exciting than playoff basketball. Also, going to a hockey game live is more exciting than going to other sports live. Football I am more than fine watching on tv, basketball the same, baseball is just downright boring live and on tv, but hockey to me has the biggest difference.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,708,555 times
Grew up in Cambridge...we played Hockey...then Baseball, with the occassional B-Ball/Tag-Football Game. It was the 70's/early 80's. Bruins were big, Celts gained with Bird, Pats sucked...and the Sox ruled.

I follow all evenly. It's nice to have all four right on top--where they belong. STATE OF CHAMPIONS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or