U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
The 'T' is the transit system. Its our version of a 'metro' or 'subway'. Unlike many cities, the T, while old and gritty, is highly accessible. Stops are everywhere. Very useful. Better than buses, but there are buses everywhere too. You can buy monthly weekly passes.

Heat is usually not included in rent, and its always a good question to ask. Boston apartments can be old and drafty often with high ceiling. Small apartments can run heating bills in excess of $200 a month during peak winter months.

Cars reguire street parking. Its tough, but people get used to it. You'll need to get a parking sticker when you get here.

Great Boston is loaded with 'squares'. Its one of the quaint cool things abotu Boston. Cambridge/Somerville has a bunch and they ar eall a little different.

They are college scenes everywhere. The Cambridge college is a little more progressive, alternative hipster than Allston and Brighton. I dont know your background, but my gut and experience tells me a Mississippi girl looking for a college scen might like Allston and Brighton better. In Cambridge/Somerville I like Davis Square the best. You might want to check out Coolidge Corner, Cleveland Circle, Allston 'Rock City... if you are looking for cheap college type places.

awesome your amazing! Thank you so much! I read good stuff about allston..and I also read about newton as well. Im taking a trip up there during spring break to figure it out a little better...see some red sox games Im going to write down all these cities and check them out I think I just needed a place to start so I wasnt going out there blind and confused haha. thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,528,280 times
There are actually free shuttles to the med centers all over town. You can do rent/heat for around $1200 in a studio. Nobody's gonna be prejudice against you for being from the South - there are people from every part of the world in Boston so you're not gonna be the only one from out of town. A little representation from the old south only adds to the cuteness and worldliness of Boston. And btw, the medical community of Boston is just absolutely wonderful to spend your life with. The work will be hard, but the life experience is just wonderful. I spent 15 wonderful years working in all the major med centers in and around BOS. I love those people and they love me. You're in for a good time.

Regarding the culture shock, well that will be a bit of an issue. The thing you need to understand is Bostonians see so many people come and go so fast that by the time we know their names they are already leaving, so Bostonians don't emotionally invest too quickly. Bostonians won't make you family on day or day 100 - but if you stay long enough you will be made for life.

One very important thing to mention. I believe the Brigham now requires a BSN, and whatever the Brigham does, others are likely to follow suit. Be aware of that.

Live somewhere in Downtown if you are working in one of the big downtown Med Ctrs which I hope you are. They are the best - best in the world in fact. Downtown is fabulous, it's a real girls town - you'll love it. Browse the photo thread to see what awaits you.

Boston Photo Thread

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 01-12-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,320,646 times
A couple of points that others have made are worth reiterating. Lukec hit it right on when he stated candidly that Boston's populace includes an "urban, liberal elite that may [more like "will"] look down on the South," but correctly pointed out that this crowd also looks down on local blue-collar elements. So, it's their problem, not yours. With most people, expect some friendly needling from time to time, and as long as you're friendly and you don't get defensive, people generally won't have a problem with your background or your accent. Some will even be quite charmed.

Even though you'll generally not run into a problem with people's attitudes about your accent and such, the other point people have made that is worth emphasizing again is that you may be in for some culture shock. Many native Bostonians don't go in for the kind of friendly idle chitchat with strangers commonly accepted in the South. Some people will even consider it intrusive, and may react coldly, if you try to push such conversation on them. Often people are more friendly in intimate social settings such as bars, coffee shops, or small restaurants, but this varies. Of course if you're around areas with a lot of college students, this all changes. College kids anywhere seem to be a pretty gregarious bunch.

Speaking of college kids, I'd add the Kenmore Square/Fenway area to your list of neighborhoods with college nightlife. More big dance clubs around there, while many of the Allston clubs are smaller, as I understand it.

As far as transportation is concerned, the difficulty of parking varies from place to place. Occasionally you'll find a rental property that includes off-street parking, but there aren't a lot of these in the more crowded, more urban areas, and it's likely to cost more than the rent you'd pay for a similar property without parking included on-property. It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the parking regulations of any inner suburb or Boston neighborhood you're considering. These vary, and may include, for example, bans on overnight parking, the requirement of obtaining a resident parking sticker, or bans on parking in the street during snowstorms. If you find out about such regulations ahead of time, it will help in determining the places where you'd most likely manage best with a car, as well as helping you be prepared for what to expect when living in a given area.

The other questions you've raised about transportation have to do with public transit. Here is a link to the transit service website: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. There you can find information about routes, and costs, including monthly passes. Basically, the system is divided into bus, subway/light rail, and commuter rail. For a few years now there has also been one transit line called the silver line which is an underground bus. Only the transit busses travel through the silver line tunnel, no general vehicular traffic, so it's kind of like a subway, except with busses instead of electric trains. There are a few areas with little or no transit service, but between these various modes of tranist most of Boston and its inner suburbs are well covered.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM

746 posts, read 3,115,005 times
People with a southern accent and the charm that goes with it are my favorite kind of people. Ask Stella Trafford, a southern belle who charmed the Cabots and Lowells in Boston's Back Bay enclave.

And to tell you the truth, Bostonians have no right to complain when it comes to accents.

There are huge differences between the New Englander and the Southerner, each simply has to adapt when they become transplanted, but should never surrender their essential selves. Differences are what make life interesting.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 724 times
Boston is possibly the worst place a person and people could choose to live. The weather sucks, the roads are horrible both ****ty to drive on as well to navigate. The city is so compact you tend to feel a sense of restriction, like that of an asthmatic. The woman here in Boston, are , have no flavor, and look like inbreeds. The woman that do look somewhat attractive are racist (the white woman), and snobby, snobby for what reason I don't quit know. The nightlife sucks, if you are not into pounding beer, and playing beer pong you are not going to enjoy it at all. There are probably 2 decent nightclubs, but how much fun can 2 nightclubs be? The rest of the places that claim to be nightclubs or lounges look like a 3 rd world discotech. All in all Boston blows, if it wasnt for such a high paying
job that I have, I would move back to South Florida, where the woman are beatiful, so are beaches, and the food actually has flavor!! The food in Boston is horrible, maybe thats why everyone walks around with a stinky grimace on their faces...

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-18-2012, 06:39 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBlows View Post
Boston is possibly the worst place a person and people could choose to live. The weather sucks, the roads are horrible both ****ty to drive on as well to navigate. The city is so compact you tend to feel a sense of restriction, like that of an asthmatic. The woman here in Boston, are , have no flavor, and look like inbreeds. The woman that do look somewhat attractive are racist (the white woman), and snobby, snobby for what reason I don't quit know. The nightlife sucks, if you are not into pounding beer, and playing beer pong you are not going to enjoy it at all. There are probably 2 decent nightclubs, but how much fun can 2 nightclubs be? The rest of the places that claim to be nightclubs or lounges look like a 3 rd world discotech. All in all Boston blows, if it wasnt for such a high paying
job that I have, I would move back to South Florida, where the woman are beatiful, so are beaches, and the food actually has flavor!! The food in Boston is horrible, maybe thats why everyone walks around with a stinky grimace on their faces...
Maybe you should move back to South Florida. You're clearly unhappy here and even if you got a lower paying job the cost of living is so cheap down there it would end up being a wash.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-20-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 PM

6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
Way to revive a a thread that's been dead for 20 months just so you could post a juvenile rant. I can see why the ladies loved you with that winning attitude .

Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,664,930 times
Why even bother giving such a ridiculous post a response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or