U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,831 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate as an RN and my boyfriend is attending law school in cambridge so I'll be relocating soon I've been doing a lot of thinking and I'm really worried because, although I'm educated and *I* dont feel as if I have a southern accent, I feel as if everyone will judge me and think I'm not intelligent or just plain not like me before I even have a chance....

Yes, I say "ya'll"..and I've never lived in a big city.. I call everything coke (whether it be coke, pepsi, sprite, root beer, haha or basically anything--I think its a southern thing?). I'll start calling it soda!! haha but basically all I'm asking is do you think people will dislike my southern accent and my mannerisms relating to the south? I dont want to drastically change myself...it would be transparent, im not a good faker ha.

any advice? also how is the nursing profession is boston--jobs, work environment, etc? whats a nice spot to live (near good food...public transportation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 AM

158 posts, read 455,878 times
Its a great city for nursing. Boston is not only the regional hub for medicine, it is a global hub of medicine. Plenty of options in different work environments.

Southerners often suffer a little bit of a culture shock. Nobody will hate you, but local attitudes and mannerisms may seem rude, but its just the norm. You cant take it personally. Its a big enough city, and there are so many people from other parts of the country, you wont stand out. Most people wont care and may find it interesting. There is some urban, liberal elitism that may look down at the South. But they look down at South Boston too.

You'll have your boyfriend, so you'll be fine. It can be tough if you come here all alone.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Its a great city for nursing. Boston is not only the regional hub for medicine, it is a global hub of medicine. Plenty of options in different work environments.

Southerners often suffer a little bit of a culture shock. Nobody will hate you, but local attitudes and mannerisms may seem rude, but its just the norm. You cant take it personally. Its a big enough city, and there are so many people from other parts of the country, you wont stand out. Most people wont care and may find it interesting. There is some urban, liberal elitism that may look down at the South. But they look down at South Boston too.

You'll have your boyfriend, so you'll be fine. It can be tough if you come here all alone.
What lukec said... I have a friend from S. Carolina who took Northeastern (not just Boston, but NE, NY and NJ) abruptness in stride. There was a fair amount of culture shock when he moved here, but it didn't bother him and was far outweighed by his twisted (my view) love of snow and cold. You'll do just fine; it's a great place to be a nurse and you can arbitrage the various hospitals, et. al., to your advantage.

Look on the bright side; at least you're not from Texas

Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM

348 posts, read 733,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiGirl22 View Post
I'm about to graduate as an RN and my boyfriend is attending law school in cambridge so I'll be relocating soon I've been doing a lot of thinking and I'm really worried because, although I'm educated and *I* dont feel as if I have a southern accent, I feel as if everyone will judge me and think I'm not intelligent or just plain not like me before I even have a chance....

Yes, I say "ya'll"..and I've never lived in a big city.. I call everything coke (whether it be coke, pepsi, sprite, root beer, haha or basically anything--I think its a southern thing?). I'll start calling it soda!! haha but basically all I'm asking is do you think people will dislike my southern accent and my mannerisms relating to the south? I dont want to drastically change myself...it would be transparent, im not a good faker ha.

any advice? also how is the nursing profession is boston--jobs, work environment, etc? whats a nice spot to live (near good food...public transportation)
This is a very diverse area --- there are many people from other countries, so, I don't see you having issues finding work just because you're from a southern state in the U.S.!

I am a native New Englander and I think we are not as outwardly friendly (on the whole) as other regions, so, I think that will be something you'll have to get used to. But, I have met folks from the south who have relocated and they for the most part seem to acclimate just fine.

Everyone is different, but, I think you'll find you won't have to be so worried about it. Boston is a very culturally diverse area, very educated, with a lot of things to do. And, the medical community presence is huge, so, I think you've made a good choice.

In terms of places to live near public transportation ... I suppose that depends on your budget and preferences. Myself, I like Newton (green line) and Watertown (red line and good bus access). Both towns are relatively safe, have decent restaurants, good access to public transportation, and are close to the city.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,012,024 times
It's really impossible to recommend places to live to you without you providing a budget (and a reasonable one--sometimes people from lower cost of living areas don't do their research and seem shocked that you can't get a 2br/2 bath with a dishwasher and washer/dryer for under $1K).

That said, Cambridge would be convenient for your boyfriend, has good restaurants and is convenient to the T.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,552,543 times
will people from boston hate me?

if i visit for a few days and happen to wear any sports gear for the yankees or jets? your city looks appealing to visit. i was in a bar in naragansett once and was kicked out....i was wearing a yankees hat at the time. i think that had something to do with it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
will people from boston hate me?

if i visit for a few days and happen to wear any sports gear for the yankees or jets? your city looks appealing to visit. i was in a bar in naragansett once and was kicked out....i was wearing a yankees hat at the time. i think that had something to do with it.
Sounds like my kind of bar!

Seriously though I think you'd be better off keeping it real than trying too hard to blend in if you know what I mean. That tends to be looked down on and can be spotted from a mile away. Especially with the accent, you either have it or you don't. Don't try to stand out, but also stay confident/comfortable in who you are.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's really impossible to recommend places to live to you without you providing a budget (and a reasonable one--sometimes people from lower cost of living areas don't do their research and seem shocked that you can't get a 2br/2 bath with a dishwasher and washer/dryer for under $1K).

That said, Cambridge would be convenient for your boyfriend, has good restaurants and is convenient to the T.
I do live in a place where the cost of living is crazy cheap...think 700/month for a 2 bed/2 bath apt. But I'm willing to spend about 1500 tops (not including bills, I guess...haha). I'd be happy in a one bedroom and I'd be happy in a flat or whatever those are called where its essentially one huge room. I have a small dog so it'd need to be pet friendly but I dont need a porch or yard or anything like that. I'm willing to live somewhere sorta crappy haha I just want my car to be safe and want to feel reasonably safe ya know..

whats the t? and I think I like cambridge too, especially by the circle (I think thats what its called maybe?)

Old 01-12-2011, 03:12 PM

also, how much does it cost to use the bus system, unlimited?

heat should be included with my apt lease agreement or something like that right? (I've honestly never used the heat in my apt haha, not once).

Car usage is possible in the city or not so much?

I want to be able to go to college type bars..I'm used to quarter pitcher night hahaha so I'm assuming this isnt the case in a big city (duhs), are bars really really expensive with like 25 buck covers? Is it a college atmosphere or is it adult?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:39 PM

158 posts, read 455,878 times
The 'T' is the transit system. Its our version of a 'metro' or 'subway'. Unlike many cities, the T, while old and gritty, is highly accessible. Stops are everywhere. Very useful. Better than buses, but there are buses everywhere too. You can buy monthly weekly passes.

Heat is usually not included in rent, and its always a good question to ask. Boston apartments can be old and drafty often with high ceiling. Small apartments can run heating bills in excess of $200 a month during peak winter months.

Cars reguire street parking. Its tough, but people get used to it. You'll need to get a parking sticker when you get here.

Great Boston is loaded with 'squares'. Its one of the quaint cool things abotu Boston. Cambridge/Somerville has a bunch and they ar eall a little different.

They are college scenes everywhere. The Cambridge college is a little more progressive, alternative hipster than Allston and Brighton. I dont know your background, but my gut and experience tells me a Mississippi girl looking for a college scen might like Allston and Brighton better. In Cambridge/Somerville I like Davis Square the best. You might want to check out Coolidge Corner, Cleveland Circle, Allston 'Rock City... if you are looking for cheap college type places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or