Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 PM

60 posts, read 343,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The cost comparison between NH and areas closer to Boston is tricky. The reason is that it may be difficult to tell what will happen in the future. At present, the overall cost of living in NH is lower than it is closer to Boston. True, the property taxes are high in NH, but remember that these are tax RATES, not absolute total tax costs. In general, the cost of a house, and therefore the property valuation, will be substantially lower in NH than in the MA suburbs close to Boston. This means that even though every 1,000 dollars of property value in NH will be taxed at a higher rate than it will in most MA towns, fewer 1,000 dollars will be taxed at that higher rate, so there is not so much difference in the total bill. For example (I don't know if these numbers are precisely accurate, but they give you the idea), if a property in MA is valued at 400k and taxed at $12/k, the total propety tax is $4,800. If a similar property in NH is taxed at $30/k, but the property is valued at 200k, the tax is $6,000. Figure in the fact that NH has no general sales tax, nor any tax on earned income, and you probably actually come out ahead in NH. A close examination of the particular areas you're considering, figuring in the difference in commuting costs as well as total tax, will give you an idea which areas are most cost-effective, but, if you're looking at towns just over the border in NH, not incurring the cost of commuting from way up in the lakes region, you'll probably find that your net costs are lower than they would be closer to Boston, inside MA.

Now the tricky part: NH politics may be changing. This has something to do with your question about why the tension when so many people living in NH are actually from MA. One reason for the tension between the two states probably is simple old-fashioned city vs. country tensions. Eastern and central MA are heavily urban, and of course Boston is a major city, while NH is less populated, and is mostly a state of towns and villages, and a few small cities. MA people tend to be kind of snobbish toward all the northern New England states, and to regard their people as hicks, and, understandably, the people up north resent this. Native New Hampshirites seem to regard MA transplants as invaders, moving in just to take advantage of cheaper housing in NH, while bringing their snooty city ways with them. New Hampshirites also are concerned that the transplants may be bringing their MA big-government politics with them as well. Somewhere else on this website, I saw something about a study (at the University of New Hampshire, I think) that showed that the transplants actually tend to lean heavily Republican and are crossing the border in part to escape the politics of MA. On the other hand, the fact is that in recent years, at the same time that there has been a shift of population from MA to NH, there have been more Democrats elected in NH than has been the case in the past. The concern as it relates to costs would be that, if there is a basic shift in politics, there could be a push for new taxes--an income tax or sales tax, for example--while NH natives want to keep the government power in local hands by maintaining local property taxes, so that the whole thing could turn into a high-tax mess. I live in MA, so I can't give you a really good feel for the inside view of NH, but raising this issue on sites like this, and with anyone you know in NH, may give you a better feel for where NH is headed. For now and the near future, however, even though each individual situation is different, in general, total costs will probably be lower in NH.
This post I found to be very informative. As a CPA, I can assure you that when looking at the tax issues involved here, it is not so black and white. When looking to see what area is most cost effective, everything has to be considered - income tax, property tax, housing prices, auto insurance rates, commuting costs...everything.

And you spoke of the politics and the possible changes underway in NH, which must be considered. I see it in practice all the time - tax laws change, sometimes drastically, from day to day, from year to year. There is definitely a lot of research to be done, before we decide whether we relocate to NH or MA.

I am curious as to the differences in state services. Coming from NJ, I am used to a lot, and knowing the NH political climate, I am prepared to get used to a lot less. However, I don't want to be shocked. When I read in one post that most NH towns do not offer trash pickup...it's such a foreign concept to me, I didn't even think to expect that. Can anyone tell me, that has lived in metro areas like CA or NJ and moved to NH, what other glaring differences to expect? Things that were surprising, or took getting used to? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times
Thumbs up Personal Preferance

I've lived in both New Hampshire (7yrs) & Massachusettes(18yrs)' AS far as this so-called rivalry it's not much different than an individual from one state claiming that their home state offers a better quality of living than than "x". New Hampshire doesn't have public transportation comparable to Massachuttes so it would be beneficial to own a vehicle. Crime in New Hampshire isn't head to head with Mass. I don't have exact figures I'm just going by my own personal knowledge. Schools is really a no brainer as far as College & private schools. Massachuttes has a larger selection of schools per capita than New Hampshire. That's not to say that you couldn't obtain a great education in New Hampshire ie; Dartmouth just to name one. Boston is truly the KING of sports when it come to fans & support of their Boston teams. Depending on what part of NH or MASS you reside in would determine the beauty, cost of living expenses, & employment availability. Competition is pretty stiff in Mass in the job market due to the median education levels. I love both states but I plan on returning for good & more than likely I would have to say it will be New Hampshire, "live free or die"!
Sincerely,
DJH

Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM

639 posts, read 3,519,241 times
Valerie C, I was born & raised in Massachusetts & lived there til I was in my late 30's. I'm living in NH for the past 15 years and more now due to an elderly parent living here that needs me now more than ever.

We have trash pick up in our town by the way, guys! I don't use it though because I refuse to have my mother walk down with it to the end of our driveway to drop it off every week for the trash pickup people! I don't think it's right, and it actually looks ridiculous out there any way to me out there on the road, it looks hideous!!! Besides, where I live, not too far from the ocean? It's not easy with the seagulls we have around here, even when your trash IS covered, the vultures open the lids! Also, even though it's part of our taxes, I still bring the trash down to the transfer station every week, to me it's no big deal, I'd rather under the circumstances. It's just my choice right now due to obvious reasons in my situation, but like I said, every ones situation is completely different. I think New Hampshire is such a beautiful state...for couples, and for all the many married people and especially for all the kids being raised here, it's definitely ideal, I think when they say that it's one of the best places to live in the United States? They're not kidding, because it IS for a fact and I can and will vouch for that. I have 6 nieces and nephews all born and raised in southern NH and we can see a HUGE difference in the way they were raised and the way all of us were raised in the heart of Boston. These kids are all in college now and YES it definitely paid off sending them to private schools, *big time! I think I said before the reason why they all went to private schools on the seacoast is because my 2 sisters & 2 brothers went to Winnacunnet Regional High School back in the 80's. NOW, with their addition they finally built there, there is a huge difference from back in the 80's, it's much much better now then ever before for the kids to go to school there, from what we can see, you can see a change down there in the past year or two with the whole set up down there.

I still have plans to move back to Mass. just the same one of these days. The state of NH is very limited for me being single, it's definitely an area of the state that's geared for couples & all that, without a doubt. It's just different that's all and like I said don't forget, every situation is completely different. I have many many friends in the city of Boston and also throughout the surrounding towns of Mass. Someday I'd rather live near them to hang out more because that stuff is pretty important to me and it always was, there's a certain loyalty that we all share that I certainly haven't witnessed at all in through this region under these circumstances. Even after being here for the last 15 years? Oh, it's a different way of life, I acclimated to it okay, because it takes a good 2 years to actually get "quiet" like the rest of them!!!! AND to really calm down around here with this lifestyle!!! But where do we still go when we want to go out to dinner a lot of times? No, it's not Portsmouth or up on Rte 1 or on the seacoast a lot of times. We're out the door like cannons and we're either shooting down to Boston's North End or the Back Bay or we hit the notorious Rte 1 in Lynnfield, Saugus area or we're down through the Liberty Tree Mall/North Shore Mall in Danvers! It just doesn't have what it takes in this state for us. For others it's FINE, whatever they want and whatever floats their boat, but for us? No thank you, I'll pass. We drive down that way quite a bit and I think we always will due to their shops & wonderful eating establishments. We actually have the best of both worlds living on the seacoast, don't get me wrong with what I'm trying to say. It's just our option with it all that's out there now. We like that part of Mass. because it's only a buzz down I-95 in a little less than 30 to 35 minutes.
Yesterday for a change we took off and we went up through Maine's, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, York and Wells, we browsed to see if we could see any foliage yet (Not really there yet, give it another week or two!!) also the many many antique shops and had lunch up through that way. Sometimes we'll take off and head up through the lakes region. We like Meredith, Moultonborough & Center Harbor quite a bit. That's definitely a thing about living in NH that we really really love, and it's a given!! We might hit the North Conway, NH outlets one day and browse through the White Mountains area where it's only about an hour and a half if that, from the seacoast region. Woodbury Ave. in Portsmouth is getting there, they just have a ways to go, that's all. When they get the Bed, Bath & Beyond AND the Christmas Tree Shop? Look out, we'll be there more and more....

I would have to agree that this state is basically Republican. It always was and yes, it's kind of changing right now due to what's going on with the bigger picture. But from living here all these years and seeing and witnessing a lot of things from folks originally from here? It's absolutely a republican state and there's no question about it. It's like night and day from Boston politics! The whole structure of it cracks me up to know end! Whatever!!!! That took a while to get used to as well, trust me!!!!

I know what you're saying about the open space, the foliage and the way of life in this state. I think that it's changed significantly just in the last 15 years since I moved here. It completely changed in number of residences since my parents moved here 32 years ago. It's amazing to us to see all the developments and homes here now. The early morning commuters on the highway really blows us away! Evidently it's not going to get any better either. There's tons and tons of younger generations buying up the homes now and that means even more commuters. It's happening everywhere. Where we lived in Boston? We used to be able to see down the street, the whole length of the street would have may be 10 cars! Forget about it now. Every 3 decker is 3 condo's a lot of times they squeeze another condo in the basement, so that's 4. It's kind of scary to look at all of them living that way now when we were young they were peoples homes, the whole building, filled with happy kids and smiling faces instead of IPOD'd mopes that don't speak a word to you when you walk by them! So actually it's life now in a nutshell for all of us! Who is going to be living in these condos in the City of Boston? Kids like my nieces and nephews that were born and raised in the State of New Hampshire where there grandparents & parents wanted to get away and have them all have a better life! Hey, I'm getting quizzed all the time now about living in Boston, I know it's on the horizon for a couple of them! It's definitely a vicious circle for a lot of us in both states, isn't it!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 09-26-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston