U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM

194 posts, read 999,073 times

Advertisements

The restaurant my girlfriend found was a little hole in the wall place called "Drydock Cafe" thats supposed to be a tucked away lil place in South Boston with awesome, really fresh seafood. Anyone ever been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM

158 posts, read 456,833 times
When you said you went to Fisherman's Wharf, I assumed the Dry Dock or perhaps the No Name. To be frank, Boston seafood is so overrated. You can travel up and down the New Engalnd Coast and find gems that cost half the price. I really cant figure it out. But the Dry Dock is pretty cool because it is an experience and the seafood is 'off the boat' fresh. Its not a date place, or a night out, or anything like that. Its a funky, hybrid, utilitarian place.

That part of South Boston isnt considered South Boston by some. Its a commercial zone to the North sometimes referred to as Seaport District. People who eat there are guys who work in the district. Its not 'touristy' at all. I cant rate the seafood well. I usually just eat chowder and apps, but I've heard good things.

My dad and both of my brotherw are/were commercial fishermen. From the biggest fishing port in US by $$$. Dru dock might be kind of cool, b ut I wouldnt make it a 'night out'. Do a lunch-dinner there and head out. If you do go the Harpoon Brewery is nearby.

Whatever you do, dont eat at Barking Crab. Horrible. Union Oyster is legenday, but overrated and nothing special. Legal is Legal. Neptunes is a hidden jewel, but its small and tough to get a seat. Chef is amazing. Next to your hotel is Oceanaire which is getting a reputation for being one of the best seafood joint around despite being an chain; its a good though. Jasper White is something of a cooking legend. His Summer Shack is fun. Its off Boylston. He's kid of celebrity and the place isnt quaint authentic New England, but its pretty good.

If you had time, I'd say hit the road and find some seafood shack in Ipswich or Scituate or some little coastal port town. Its probably like Long Island fishing ports, but not as far. But Boston seafood really does suck for its location and reputation.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM

83 posts, read 292,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
When you said you went to Fisherman's Wharf, I assumed the Dry Dock or perhaps the No Name. To be frank, Boston seafood is so overrated. You can travel up and down the New Engalnd Coast and find gems that cost half the price. I really cant figure it out. But the Dry Dock is pretty cool because it is an experience and the seafood is 'off the boat' fresh. Its not a date place, or a night out, or anything like that. Its a funky, hybrid, utilitarian place.

That part of South Boston isnt considered South Boston by some. Its a commercial zone to the North sometimes referred to as Seaport District. People who eat there are guys who work in the district. Its not 'touristy' at all. I cant rate the seafood well. I usually just eat chowder and apps, but I've heard good things.

My dad and both of my brotherw are/were commercial fishermen. From the biggest fishing port in US by $$$. Dru dock might be kind of cool, b ut I wouldnt make it a 'night out'. Do a lunch-dinner there and head out. If you do go the Harpoon Brewery is nearby.

Whatever you do, dont eat at Barking Crab. Horrible. Union Oyster is legenday, but overrated and nothing special. Legal is Legal. Neptunes is a hidden jewel, but its small and tough to get a seat. Chef is amazing. Next to your hotel is Oceanaire which is getting a reputation for being one of the best seafood joint around despite being an chain; its a good though. Jasper White is something of a cooking legend. His Summer Shack is fun. Its off Boylston. He's kid of celebrity and the place isnt quaint authentic New England, but its pretty good.

If you had time, I'd say hit the road and find some seafood shack in Ipswich or Scituate or some little coastal port town. Its probably like Long Island fishing ports, but not as far. But Boston seafood really does suck for its location and reputation.
Every word of this is true, especially about the Barking Crab.

When I was a kid my grandparents had a timeshare on the South Maine Coast. Spoiled me for life as far as seafood goes.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM

28 posts, read 125,564 times
If you want to try something different from a typical New England seafood restaurant, consider Muqueca (Muqueca Restaurant). It is a Brazilian seafood restaurant a little off the beaten path in Inman Square, a traditionally Portuguese section of Cambridge. It's about a 10-15 min walk from the Central Square T stop.

Also in Inman Square, East Coast Grill (Welcome to the East Coast Grill & Raw Bar) serves up some seafood dishes that I find more flavorful than more traditional places like Legal Sea Foods.

I've also heard friends rave about the seafood at Dok Bua (Dok Bua Thai Kitchen Restaurant - 02446 - Brookline - Thai Food Delivery in Coolidge Corner - Online Ordering), a Thai restaurant in Brookline.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:44 PM

194 posts, read 999,073 times
Great suggestions guys. As far as Boston seafood goes I'm sure there is better bets outside the city but that will have to wait for another trip as we will be traveling by mass transit this trip.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,550,429 times
Go to Union Oyster House. It's a national landmark. It's been in business for more than 200 years. Obviously they are doing something right. Just the lore of the place will be more memorable than any other seafood place you could go in BOS.

Then go have a drink next door at the Bell in Hand - opened in 1795.

Then the Green Dragon.

That area is called the Blackstone Block, and it's really the coolest place in BOS.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 01-16-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,345,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post

I agree about seafood outside the city. IMHO, the best seafood in Boston is VERY expensive. You can get something nearly as good outside the city for much less money.

You're dad and brother fish(ed) out of New Bedford? There are a number of good places down there for seafood too.

Personally, I found Southern Maine to be a bit overrated when it comes to seafood (lived in Portland for 4+ years and my girlfriend was involved in the restaurant business). It certainly doesn't lack that quaint seaside charm, but there aren't many places with an extensive seafood menu (lobster, lobster and lobster). The good news is that one doesn't need to go that far to get good seafood. There are a number of places on the North Shore and NH Seacoast that are good. If the OP has time, a trip up to Cape Ann or even Portsmouth may be a good outing. South Shore is a good suggestion too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston