U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,699,406 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Boston for the day or half a day on Friday and i have a few questions.

1. Where are the good places to get some cheap New England Calm Chowder?
2. What are the places to stay away form?
3. What are the fares and what is a Charlie card and should i buy one?
4. Where can i get some good shots of the Zakim Bridge?
5. Where can i go by PT to get some good shots of the skyline?
6. How long does it take by train to get to Forge Park/495 form South Station?
7. Do Bostonians like New Jerseyites?

I'm not doing any historic things this time , as my train arrives in at 1pm...just photos and some city exploring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM

158 posts, read 457,252 times
1. Cheap? Nowhere really. Seafood in the city is expensive. Legal, Union Oyster, Neptunes come to mind.

2. Need more information. Boston doesnt really have many 'bad' areas in the hub.

3. I recommend using the T. You'll need either a Charlie card or ticket. Either way, it wont cost you more than two bucks a fare. The card is cheaper.

4. Zakim, try Charlestown. You can walk across the Charles dam between the Boston Garden and Charlestown. The Paul Rever Park is there. It used to be lit at night, but not anymore. The park is low, but you can walk up to City Square park in C-Town and there are a few spots with a nice view of the bridge.

5. Skyline. There are bunch of places. Across the Charles river, over Mass Ave, in Cambridge has a nice view. There is a tavern in Charlestown across the harbor, called Tavern on the Water. I love that view myself. The top of Mission Hill, there are a park with nice views.

6. Never rode it, but I'd guess 20 to 30 minutes from Franklin.

7. No one will notice or care unless you start arguing about it; "NYC blows Boston away", "Red Sox suck"...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 AM

5,763 posts, read 13,361,906 times
Here's the link to the transit service website, where you should find the various info you need about public transit: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. Try more like an hour from South Station to Forge Park.

Are you planning to arrive at 1PM and then spend the night? If you're thinking of arriving in Boston in the early afternoon, seeing the sights around Boston, and getting in a trip out to Franklin all in in one afternoon and then heading back the same evening, that may not be a realistic schedule. I guess it would depend in part on how much you wanted to do around Boston before or after your trip to Franklin.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Here's the link to the transit service website, where you should find the various info you need about public transit: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. Try more like an hour from South Station to Forge Park.

Are you planning to arrive at 1PM and then spend the night? If you're thinking of arriving in Boston in the early afternoon, seeing the sights around Boston, and getting in a trip out to Franklin all in in one afternoon and then heading back the same evening, that may not be a realistic schedule. I guess it would depend in part on how much you wanted to do around Boston before or after your trip to Franklin.
Spend at least till 6pm ish.....my hotel is in Milford. I might come back on Saturday....to explore again. My Amtrak train departs at 7:45am form Newark Penn and arrives at 1:15pm....and i have to wake up at 5am and take the 5.30 train to Newark so a huge chunk of my day will be on trains.....not that i mind. I'll try to come back on Saturday......i would like to do some Transit fanning...all over your T system.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 5,055 times
Another good option for Chowder is Drydock Cafe by the Harpoon Brewery in the Seaport. My favorite in Town is still Neptune Oyster (North End) but Drydock's is almost as good and a cheaper alternative.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Ive seen some pictures of taken form a high rise , is it open to the public? I don't know the name , but its near Central artery.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 PM

7,379 posts, read 15,364,200 times
Nexis, I know we've had our differences on another thread, but I'm not one to hold a grudge. Enjoy your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm visiting Boston for the day or half a day on Friday and i have a few questions.

1. Where are the good places to get some cheap New England Calm Chowder?
I'd suggest Union Oyster House. It's good and not too expensive. Legal Seafood's clam chowder is the best thing they have going and it's made by Blount Seafood's from Fall River, MA. Legal is a chain though and you can get it just about anywhere. Union Oyster House (near Faneuil Hall) is a destination by itself.

Quote:
2. What are the places to stay away form?
There really aren't any areas I'd avoid that you can get to on any of the primary subway/light rail lines (Green Line is a light rail line that runs underground though the center of the city). Not for safety reasons, anyway. Some of the Orange Line stops are "iffy" but not bad during broad daylight. I'm thinking Roxbury Crossing and Jackson Square, but by day, those aren't bad at all. Even at night they're only so-so.

Quote:
3. What are the fares and what is a Charlie card and should i buy one?
$2.00 for a charlie ticket (one fare, free transfers to Red, Blue, Green, Orange and Silverline BRT). Fares are $1.70 on a Charlie Card and you don't have to buy the card. Ask at a MBTA window in the train station and they'll give you one. Sometimes they're stacked on top of the machines where you "recharge" them or buy tickets. Just snag one and save $0.30 per trip.

Quote:
4. Where can i get some good shots of the Zakim Bridge?
There are a number of locations. I like Paul Revere Park which is technically in Charlestown. Right nearby is Northpoint Park next to the Museum of Science. Both of these can be reached by foot from North Station, Science Park (Green Line) and Community College Station (Orange Line). The Charlestown Navy Yard is also a good spot (where the U.S.S. constitution is). Not a bad skyline view either. If you're in Charlestown, head up to the Bunker Hill monument. You have GREAT views of both the skyline and the bridge. This would be my number one suggestion.

Quote:
5. Where can i go by PT to get some good shots of the skyline?
Memorial Drive in Cambridge is a favorite of mine. Take the Red Line to Kendall Square and walk over to the river. Great views of the Back Bay Skyline and the Financial District Skyline with Beacon Hill and the State House in the foreground.

Again, Bunker Hill monument offers fantastic views (easy walk from Community College Station on the Orange Line).

Another of my favorite is Piers Park in East Boston. Walk there (5 minutes) from Maverick Station on the Blue Line. It's an angle that tourists just don't get to.

Take the Logan Airport Ferry from Long Wharf to the Logan Airport dock. Not only do you get great views from the Logan Airport side, but you get great views the whole boat ride. More info on the ferry here. Great for photos.

Check out the view from the Harbor Walk in the South Boston Seaport starting at Fan Pier Plaza at the Moakley Courthouse. Not a bad walk from South Station, but you can also take the Silver Line to Courthouse Station. IMHO, the Silverline is a poorly executed BRT line... this would be a good example to see for yourself.

Also check out some of the vistas from within the city. A few quick ones that are favorites of mine are the following:
Old State House looking West on State Street (Orange Line to State or Blue Line to Aquarium) right near Faneuil Hall. Looks really cool against modern skyscrapers.

The Financial District looks cool from Hanover Street in the North End (Salem St. too) and Christopher Columbus Park right near the aquarium.

The city looks great from the Boston Common. Another cool perspective is of the Financial District from the Blackstone Block (near Haymarket Station- Orange and Green Lines).

A lot of parking garages offer great views from the top level, but my favorite is 100 Clarendon (next to Back Bay Station- Orange Line and commuter rail and Copley on the Green Line). Great shots of the Hancock Tower. While you're there, Copley Square has some nice angles.

Quote:
6. How long does it take by train to get to Forge Park/495 form South Station?
I think Ogre has this right. I've never done it though.

Quote:
7. Do Bostonians like New Jerseyites?
Only if they refer to themselves as "the situation" or are obnoxious about sports rivalries and certain recent defeats their teams have handed ours. Otherwise, no one cares.

Quote:
I'm not doing any historic things this time , as my train arrives in at 1pm...just photos and some city exploring...
Those are two of my favorite things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ive seen some pictures of taken form a high rise , is it open to the public? I don't know the name , but its near Central artery.
There are a few high rises open to the public for observation. Unfortunately, the Hancock Tower (the city's tallest) isn't anymore.

The Prudential Skywalk is probably the best but it's in the Back Bay, not the Financial District (where the Central Artery was). It's the second tallest building in the city and offers panoramic views of Boston, Cambridge and beyond. It costs $15-16 dollars, I believe.

There is a little known observatory at 470 Atlantic Avenue (14th floor I believe). It's not well marked, but I believe it's free. If you walk in and ask, they should be able to help you. This is looking right over the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Here is more info on it.

Finally, the Custom House Tower near Faneuil Hall opens their observatory to the public for free. The hours are very weird though, so I would call. It's the Marriott Custom House Hotel... give them a ring and they can help you. Here is their web page. This is another off the radar place.

The Bunker Hill monument allows you to go up to the top, but maybe not in the winter. The view from the ground there is nice enough.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Thankyou everybody , theres still a 80% chance i'm coming even with the snowstorm. Does the MBTA operate decently on the regional Rail lines during storms? This is looking like it clears by 1pm ish when i arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston