U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 23,655 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am curious if anybody could help me out. I am in my mid-twenties and currently live in SW Michigan. I have been unemployed here for the past year and a half (I work in the medical field as a CAT/X-ray Technologist) and for the area I live in, the work for technologist is few and far between.

I came out to Boston last year to check out the area (and Salem) and I actually had an interview in Cambridge, but it didn't work out. But I still loved the city and how convienent it was to just walk everywhere. I am still applying to jobs in the area and I figured I should find out more about the city and surrounding areas, in case I am lucky enough to find a job, I will then need to find a place to live.

So I know cost of living in Eastern Mass area is more expensive than the midwest, but I am curious to know where can a bi-racial female in her mid twenties live, that is safe, decent in price and close to public transportation? Also, I have looked back through threads on interracial couples in the area and they are dated back 4 years or more. So can anyone also let me know how people respond to interracial couples now in 2010-2011?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
Which areas would be best depends on some actual numbers on the approx. housing budget you would prefer, what you consider "safe" (like way out in the suburbs safe, or city-safe), and what general kind of area you'd prefer to live in (urban, suburban, lots of nightlife right outside your door or more like basic shopping in the neighborhood).

Brighton Center and Oak Square in Brighton come to mind when I think of relatively inexpensive (emphasis on the word "relatively" since Boston is expensive) areas that have some young professionals in the population mix, along with grad students and blue-collar to middle-class working family people. Those areas would be best for someone more willing to travel some for nightlife and to settle for small-scale local shopping and dining right in the neighborhood. Public transit from these areas would be by bus.

Watertown might offer something similar to those two neighborfhoods in Brighton, except that the young professionals population is a newer addition to the mix, so you might have to wait a few years to have as many of your peers living right around you as you would on the west side of Brighton.

The area in and around downtown Waltham has a population of young professionals and a bit more nightlife, in the form of a restaurant scene, but no clubs. Waltham also has some immigrant population (Hispanic, but I'm not sure about the specific nationality) close to downtown, while outside of the downtown vicinity the town is mostly broadly middle class suburbia.

Closer to being right in town, Charlestown is another area with some young professionals mixed in with blue-collar and middle-class longtime residents. The very local nightlife once again will be centered around small business, neighborhood bars and small eateries, etc., but you're close to downtown Boston in Charlestown.

Some areas with larger concentrations of young professionals, where this group tends more to define the area rather than just being part of the population mix, are the South End, parts of Jamaica Plain, Central Square and Porter Square in Cambridge, and Davis Square in Somerville. These areas often have fairly steep housing costs, so the viability of any of these areas would depend on the specifics of your housing budget, in addition to the fact that the location of the job you find would have an effect on the best locations to live in.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM

10 posts, read 23,655 times
I am looking for any housing that is around $1,000/month for rent and could include as many utilities as possible (and I know that's a stretch). From what I have applied to, most of the jobs are at hospitals in the city. So anywhere that is not too far away from Boston and take public transportation doesn't take forever.

And thank you SO much for all the information! You have helped me narrow down where I need to look! Now I just need one of the hospitals I have applied to out there, to call me!!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 AM

2,026 posts, read 5,005,490 times
1000/mo wouldn't get you more than a studio if you're lucky in the close to BOS areas that have some sort of desirable city life. If you re willing to share an apt, you may have some luck.

You'll have to decide what your priority is: sticking to 1K per month or more city living. An apt further out (in the surburbs) that still has access to public transport may be cheaper. Whether you'll have a car also needs to be in the equation.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
Agreed that you may want to consider finding a roommate to stretch your housing budget further and increase your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or