Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 PM

10 posts, read 26,343 times

Advertisements

I work in the medical field as a CAT/X-ray technologist and I have been unemployed since May 2009. Seeing that I am still in Michigan and I would like to secure a job before I move, how do I increase my chances of getting my cover letter/resume reviewed by hospitals in the area?

I have applied to numerous hospitals in the Boston area and I even had an interview in Cambridge last year, but I did not get the position. I have all the necessary credentials (ARRT (R)(CT) registered, my Associates and Bachelors degrees, my MA state Radiology Technologist licensing, CPR certified). Does anyone know of how I could network with any Boston or surrounding area hospital? Or could anyone offer any insight into how hiring works out there, especially if they like to hire internally first. I would like to show that I am serious about applying and moving to the area for a new job.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,821,726 times
Not familiar with your field but just want to say I'm surprised by the difficulty you've in landing a job since all I've heard about the medical field says jobs are abundant, especially since the type of job you're looking for can't be easily filled overseas or by people without the qualifications.

GL.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSmil5 View Post
I work in the medical field as a CAT/X-ray technologist and I have been unemployed since May 2009. Seeing that I am still in Michigan and I would like to secure a job before I move, how do I increase my chances of getting my cover letter/resume reviewed by hospitals in the area?

I have applied to numerous hospitals in the Boston area and I even had an interview in Cambridge last year, but I did not get the position. I have all the necessary credentials (ARRT (R)(CT) registered, my Associates and Bachelors degrees, my MA state Radiology Technologist licensing, CPR certified). Does anyone know of how I could network with any Boston or surrounding area hospital? Or could anyone offer any insight into how hiring works out there, especially if they like to hire internally first. I would like to show that I am serious about applying and moving to the area for a new job.

Thanks!
Did you apply to suburban hospitals or hospitals in the city? Suburban hospitals have less turnover and thus opening than the big city hospitals. I typed in radiology in partners.org and got 84 results. Google Partners, Caritas, Beth Israel, Boston Medical Center and Tufts New England. Between these 5, you are applying to hospitals that combined have probably about 5000 beds.

I successfully obtained a medical job in BOS from out of town. They are definitely ok with out of town applications. In your cover letter make sure you say you are seeking a position in a fast-paced big city hospital. Then be prepared for exactly that, because that is exactly what you will get.

Boston is a world of difference from Detroit so plan to live town within walking distance to the hospital. Tell then you will do that - proximity is a plus and it shows commitment. And you'll love living in BOS. It's very safe, highly developed, way upscale. The medical community is just darling, you'll love them.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,667,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSmil5 View Post

Thanks!
I wish there was a formula for getting a job in this economy. But, alas, there doesn't seem to be. Massachusetts may not seem to be experiencing the same kind of crushing, long-term unemployment that Michigan is, but - from the perspective of a number of people I know who fall into your category (1+ years of unemployment) - the differences are negligible. I wish I had a better story to tell you ...

I've known people who've been through numerous interviews only to be blown off at the last round with nary a word. It's very frustrating. And, being in the medical field is no hedge against this kind of treatment - trust me.

Are you absolutely set on getting a job in MA? 'Cause I'd expand my search to other places if I were you. There are far too many long-term unemployed (including in the medical field) in Massachusetts for me to make a pat, comfortable recommendation ... sorry.

The only recommendation I might offer - and it's a long-shot, at best - is to look at primary care groups for rural health in western Massachusetts (the Berkshires come to mind). They are perennially unstaffed. That might offer some possibilities, but again, it's remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston