U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM

45 posts, read 80,993 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Boston but spent 7 yrs in MS. While there, I found the most amazing church called Southpoint. The pastor was hysterical, the music was contemporary and the people were like family. I live in Dorchester now but will travel a little ways. Can anyone recommend a really great church?

I've attended a couple here and the speaking in tongues, over the top, $$ hungry ones are NOT for me.

Def looking for a more laid back, contemporary type feel.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM

No one? Anyone proud of their church? Any pastors on here?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM

158 posts, read 455,773 times
Maybe during your stay in Mississippi you forgot how Catholic it is up here, and how secularly liberal. I couldn't name a hip church if I tried, and I tried. Maybe if you tried a faith based forum you might get better luck.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

lukec - you might be right about that! lol

Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

406 posts, read 1,319,246 times
I personally don't do religion, but as an active community member I do notice that there are quite a few active Unitarian Universalist churches in the area--(I'm just north of Boston) Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge, Medford, etc. They seem to sponsor quite a few activities, etc. Might be worth checking out?

Also, a good friend of mine is a Lutheran pastor in Malden. I can't speak for how funny she is "at work", or how contemporary the music is, but I know that she is liberal and actively plans youth-oriented activities (bible study at pubs, for instance...). Her church is First Lutheran of Malden.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM

5,755 posts, read 13,320,646 times
I responded in more detail to your thread in the general MA forum, but basically recommended that you check out various Unitarian parishes.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM

385 posts, read 1,257,321 times
With a few exceptions, the Unitarian churches here are generally not Christian-focused, so whether or not I'd recommend them would depend on if you're looking for a Christian focus or not. If you are looking for a Christian church, I would try Old South Church in Copley Square. I've been to a few services and they seemed fairly "hip" to me. Lots of people in casual dress. There is a smaller 9:00 Sunday service and a busier 11:00 service with a choir. The later service normally doesn't do Communion if that is important to you. They also have a Thursday evening "jazz worship."

Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM

387 posts, read 732,138 times
I'm UU, but it doesn't sound like the UU churches in the area would be quite right for you. Based on your description of your church, you want charismatic leadership and a fun, somewhat liberal Christian outlook.

UU churches fit the liberal/welcoming part, but the congregations often excise the word "God" (not to mention Jesus) from sermons. Also, UU churches frequently reevaluate their leadership, so you could pick one with a minister you like, only to end up with someone else next year. (Look at the website of pretty much any UU church to see what I'm talking about -- at any time, half have an "interim" minister until the congregation can pick someone they really want.)

I can't point you to a specific church, but United Church of Christ might be a good fit. (See Find a UCC Church for a list of area churches.) Some Unitarians even refer to it as "Unitarians Considering Christ" because it is such a welcoming Christian church. Look at ones close to your area, or that are easy for you to access, then try to visit at least twice to get a feel for each one.

Aside from UCCs, I'd also recommend you check out International Community Church (ICC Home Page) in Allston. I haven't been there personally, but it sounds similar to your last church.

Also, I know the weather is terrible right now, but try to do your visiting before summer -- the city empties out considerably, so summer church services are often much less vibrant.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

My old church was SouthPoint Church - Home - the pastor there was very funny. Usually came in with jeans & a T. He absolutely preached the word of God. It wasn't just great music & jokes. But it was very casual in the sense of no pressure. There wasn't a donation plate passed & it was very much "come as you are", new believer, non-believer, wanting to believe type place.

Thanks everyone for the detailed replies! I really appreciate it and am looking forward to more responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or