U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 22,986 times

Advertisements

My wife and I wil move to Boston next June, we are two Medical Doctors from Europe and will spend a year there doing clinical research. My wife will be at Mass General Hospital and I will be at Boston Medical Center.
We would be interested in renting an apartment with a rent not greater than 2K/ month (utilities included). Which are the best options if we do not want to buy a car?
We have no kids and are in the mid-late 30s. We look for a safe and not very loud neighbourhood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,465,356 times
Maybe the tall and modern Archstone building (one of many luxury Archstone residential apts. locally). It's in the Chinatown/Downtown Crossing/Theatre District area. It may be a tad more than $2k for a 1BR, though. It's kind of gritty despite major improvements in the past 5 plus years, but a 2-min. walk to the Ritz Carlton hotel/condo. It's a 10-min. walk to Newbury Street and Back Bay/Beacon Hill. Macy's is just over a 5-min. walk.

The Silver Line is near to get you to BMC, as is the Red Line for MGH.

l've chatted with a medical professional living there.

Perhaps the Greenhouse apts. across from the Prudential Tower. Adjacent to the subway. Lots of corporate rentals as well as rich foreign students. Great locale.

MGH is next to a collection of luxury rentals, some new, some older. 10 Emerson,185 Blossom, Longfellow Place, Whittier Place. etc. Regatta Towers across from Museum of Science is a possibility.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 22,986 times
Thank you very much for the information.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,185,863 times
I would probably check the South Boston area. I admittedly haven't been around there in some time, but it appears to be rapidly gentrifying. IIRC, there are buses that leave the Broadway (or maybe it's Andrew station?) station that will deposit you right in front of BMC, and Broadway is on the red line, making it a quick jaunt to MGH. The South Bay shopping center is close by for any shopping needs (Target, Best Buy, Stop & Shop, etc) and there are buses that will drop you off w/in the shopping center (for larger trips, there are cabs or Zipcar)

The Silver line isn't bad, but it can be a bit of a walk down to BMC, especially during the winter. BMC isn't well served by train at all, though a few buses go by there. it may be best to stick closer to BMC due to this, IMO.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM

2,051 posts, read 3,465,356 times
Eevee made a good selection in South Boston (different from South End).

Yes, a bus from Broadway station arrives at BMC in less than 10 minutes; plus, that subway is just 4 stops to MGH.

Stop & Shop is a walk or bus ride away, right there in Southie, but not as big as the S&S in South Bay.

50 West Broadway is a nice upscale complex (50WB.com) which I pass regularly, across from Mul's Diner and the subway. You can stroll to Carson Beach or Castle Island in 15-20 minutes.

Southie has surely gentrified, but it's still gritty in some area.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM

55 posts, read 173,687 times
I attended BU Medical Complex for four years so know this area well. For most convenient, you want to be near RED line subway for access to MGH plus near a bus that stops at BMC. You need to come and ride the subway and the bus for yourself to get a feel for what is acceptable to you.

Anywhere near Mass Ave. from Central Square to the BU Medical is also good. There's an express bus during commute hour in addition to regular bus going along Mass. Ave that stops right in front of BMC. Central Square Red Line subway will take your wife directly to MGH. There's many Green and Orange subway that you will connect you to Red subway to get to MGH. I spent two years here.

Andrew Square in South Boston is red subway with a regular bus and express bus that take you directly to BU Medical. The area feels like the hood but it is safe. I spent a year here.

JFK/Umass red subway line has a bus that reaches BU Medical. Harbor Point Complex has a few BU medical/dental residents living there. It's luxury condos mixed with government housing recipients so it can get noisy during summer nite depending on where your rental is. I spent a month here.

Chinatown is good because there's a bus that take you directly to BMC and the South Station Red subway. I spent a year here.

Broadway is Red line but I'm not sure about bus access to BMC. This area is practically deserted at nite because it is in the middle of nowhere and with practically nothing nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston