Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
Im from a military family and grew up mostly in Germany and in the south. My grandparents were from the south as well, so i was raised to say "please" and "thank you", "yes sir" and "no ma'am"...and there is always the good old "god bless u". When i first met my boyfriend he said, it was nice to see someone with manners. Then he told me "promise me u will not let the women in boston corrupt u and turn u into a cold person who doesnt smile". Funny, until he said that i had never noticed that many of the women were not smiling here
It is just the little things with women in Boston that are different. Even just going up to Portland, ME or Providence, RI most are just a little more easy going. I'm not specifically talking about bars either, as that is not a good comparison. It just seems like women in Boston don't want to make eye contact and even get upset when you ask them a question.

I've seen a few guys (mostly from the north) that when they go south and are talking to a southern woman they think just because she is talking to him she is interested in him. It isn't always the case, but it is nice that someone doesn't treat you like you have leprosy. I think sometimes they get the wrong signals cause they are used to Boston girls not even saying a word to them. I've gone to friend's parties where you could be standing near a girl and she wouldn't give anyone but her close friends the time of day.

I've said it before, southern women are better at flirting and better at making small conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Could try to say they don't change facial expressions
X Doesn't Change Facial Expressions | Know Your Meme

I think that some of what is said here can be a bit blamed on that the idea of mass culture is dead.
This article is from Canada and a tad dated but makes a point.
The death of mass culture

Basically the internet and other technologies have sort of created a massive diversity of interests (if you read Tofflers Future Shock this makes more sense). Choice and massive amounts of choice means interests scatter. We don't have musicians that cross generations..nothing will be as big as the Beatles, Michael Jackson or Elvis ever again. Now a small band can host files on youtube. An author can self publish on kindle, a movie can come out only online and so on.

Yes there is always larger events (olympics, superbowl, world cup, worlds fair, political elections)and yes there are still popular shows but it isn't exactly the way it was before.

One thing I do find about some places in Boston is that sometimes there is no middle between "You can hear anyone due to music/tv's" and "Quieter than a library". I see nothing wrong with music or tv's being on in a bar but it should be on as a background.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM

188 posts, read 497,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
It is just the little things with women in Boston that are different. Even just going up to Portland, ME or Providence, RI most are just a little more easy going. I'm not specifically talking about bars either, as that is not a good comparison. It just seems like women in Boston don't want to make eye contact and even get upset when you ask them a question.

I've seen a few guys (mostly from the north) that when they go south and are talking to a southern woman they think just because she is talking to him she is interested in him. It isn't always the case, but it is nice that someone doesn't treat you like you have leprosy. I think sometimes they get the wrong signals cause they are used to Boston girls not even saying a word to them. I've gone to friend's parties where you could be standing near a girl and she wouldn't give anyone but her close friends the time of day.

I've said it before, southern women are better at flirting and better at making small conversations.
Yeah the guy im dating said up here if a girl talks to you, you know shes actually interested in you...down south the girl could just be being nice and just wants to talk. My roommate told me a guy looked at her on the subway and caught herself looking away very quickly, then she realized what she was doing. He hadn't even said a word to her but because he looked at her she assumed he was into her. I told her to calm down and explained to her in the south everybody looks each other in the eye..its ok you wont die if someone looks at you. The she said "your right..no wonder ive been single for all these years." Its gotta be tough for guys here, I couldnt imagine being shot down from just just a look

Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
Its gotta be tough for guys here, I couldnt imagine being shot down from just just a look
I'm married now but in the past I'd prefer that to wasting my time. I used to live in France and, in some ways, it's an even more extreme version of Boston there. Most women will completely ignore a guy if they're not interested. The American girls I knew there (not the ones from Boston, but the southerners and Californians) couldn't get rid of a constant stream of annoying guys. Their mistake was making eye contact, or responding when spoken to. The French guys, being used to being ignored by French women who weren't interested, would take that as a sign of interest. Just cultural differences.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 AM

188 posts, read 497,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I'm married now but in the past I'd prefer that to wasting my time. I used to live in France and, in some ways, it's an even more extreme version of Boston there. Most women will completely ignore a guy if they're not interested. The American girls I knew there (not the ones from Boston, but the southerners and Californians) couldn't get rid of a constant stream of annoying guys. Their mistake was making eye contact, or responding when spoken to. The French guys, being used to being ignored by French women who weren't interested, would take that as a sign of interest. Just cultural differences.
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston