U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 PM

55 posts, read 173,736 times

Advertisements

You'll pay around $100/nite through priceline for some yet unknown hotel. You can apply for the Hyatt credit card and get two nites for $75 at any Hyatt in the the world.

Last edited by joebloe; 01-25-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 AM

271 posts, read 1,444,020 times
What is the local cuisine like in Boston?

I believe the Travel Channel did an episode of Man vs. Food in Boston, but I missed it.

What are the biggest pig-out places in downtown?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM

7,347 posts, read 15,321,082 times
^Travel Channel went to the Eagle Deli (I've never been) and had a giant burger that looked gross.

My favorite "Pig out" is the Chocolate Bar at Cafe Fleuri. I did it once. Fantastic. It's only on Saturdays, I believe.

As far as regular cuisine, I don't know if there is one. Boston has a lot of Irish Pubs with authentic Irish dishes. Boston does seafood fairly well, but I find that unless you want to pay a ton of money, You're better off getting seafood outside of the city. Of course, you won't find better Italian food than in the North End of Boston (My go to is Terramia on Salem Street). Try a Canole from either Mike's or Modern too. The experience is half the fun.

A little more under the radar is the Caribbean and Latin American culture. If you're willing to venture out of downtown a bit, there are an abundance of little cafes and restaurants serving food from the Dominican, Haiti, Puerto Rico, etc.

Portuguese food is big in Massachusetts too. I think the best places are located on the South Coast (45min to 1 hr from Boston) in New Bedford (and Fall River). If you do want to drive and try it, head to Antonio's in New Bedford. It will both give you a taste of food you won't find in many other places (done very well) AND give you a "pig out" at a reasonable price. Each entree feels like it can serve four people. I absolutely love the stuff. Here's a link to Antonio's Website

Boston Cream Pie (supposedly) originated at the Omni Parker House. You could give that a try. Durgin Park, although touristy, also serves up some typical "Boston-style" dishes. Same with the Union Oyster House about a block away. Neptune Oyster is a little better, over in the North End.

There's plenty to eat. I like sushi in Boston. Because of the access to fresh seafood, even the mediocre places are pretty decent. There are some places that get really creative with it too (Oishii is good, O Ya is excellent but will cost you a fortune). Sushi isn't everyone's thing though.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
Default Rental Car in Boston

This is my first time posting on here so I hope I get it right!
I was googling information on Boston and found this thread, which I found very helpful .. My daughter and I are flying to Boston to visit Harvard. The original plan was to fly there and rent a car and drive back to Florida with lots of stops along the way. However, I realized it was a billion dollars to return a rental car to a different state so now the breaks are on. I thought maybe we would just stay in Boston and check out the surrounding areas and maybe go to six flags. I was also thinking of renting a car from the airport just while we are there and then return and fly home. I guess my question is, what kind of traffic will I be dealing with? Does anyone know? I am staying 7 miles from logan airport in saugus and after reading some of the posts it looks like I should have chosen something more in the city? Any suggestions

Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,860,241 times
It will really depend what time your flight gets in. Saugus isn't that far from Logan (actually didn't think it was even 7 miles), but Rts 1 and 1a north can get jammed up at rush hour. It could take you 20 minutes. It could take you an hour.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,321,082 times
Cliff Clavinis dead on with the traffic issue. If you have time, I'd recommend a hotel in town. If you're OK with using priceline or hotwire, you can probably get a downtown hotel for less than what you're paying in the 'burbs. That way you can ditch the car and use public transit and walk around Boston. If you get a hotel in Saugus for $100 a night and pay $40/day for a car, it's no better than a $140/night hotel downtown where you won't need the car. In fact, you'll get to experience the city more by staying in town. Saugus is just sort of.... "meh." If you want to get out of town, you can still rent a car from logan for a day or two. You can get from downtown Boston to Logan Airport by subway or the Silver Line in 15 minutes to pick up your car or return to your hotel.

Are you set on Six Flags? Unless you're a theme park junkie, Six Flags won't be any better than a Six Flags (or other amusement park) you'll find back home. Even the park's signature attraction (Bizzarro) has been duplicated and constructed in other parks. I would think spending a day up in New Hampshire, Southern Maine, Newport RI, or Cape Cod would be a much more appealing day trip from Boston (all of those places are less than a 2 hour drive).

A great day trip is to take the Fast Ferry from downtown Boston over to Provincetown at the tip of the Cape. You don't need a car (Provincetown is walkable and there are bike rentals and pedi-cabs all over the place) and you could spend the day shopping, eating, exploring or beaching it. A Whale Watch out of Boston is fun too.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston