U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM

271 posts, read 1,442,628 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North Texas. This March I'll be visiting the Boston area for the first time in ten years. The last time I traveled to Massachusetts, I went to Worcester and Springfield. I didn't get a chance to see Downtown Boston.

I want to check out both the sights in Downtown Boston, as well as Patriot Place in Foxborough- both of which are 30 miles apart.

I'm flying Southwest into T.F. Green Airport. However, I don't have a hotel booked yet. Since I'd like to visit both Downtown Boston and Patriot Place, I don't know if it would be more convenient for me to stay at hotel in Boston or to stay at a hotel in Foxborough.

Will I need a rental car if I want to visit both Downtown Boston and Foxborough?

Should I book a hotel that is in Boston or one that is closer to Foxborough?

If I need to rent a car, I'll just stay at a hotel in or around Foxborough. Then I'll drive to Patriot Place and spend the afternoon there. The next day I'll park the rental car at an MBTA station somewhere near Foxborough, and take the subway into Downtown Boston. From there, I'll use the various lines to get around the city.

So would it be best for me to rent a car? And where in the Boston area should I book a hotel?

If you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM

55 posts, read 173,531 times
PVD is 30 miles from Patriot Place and the Patriot Place is 30 miles from Boston, so you definitely should get a car. SWA now fly into BOS so is there a reason why you're not flying into Boston? You can then take the T or shuttle to many nearby Boston suburb hotels and not deal with a car fro a few days.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times
How long are you staying?

I wouldn't recommend staying at Patriot Place or in the distant suburbs at all. There's just really very little to see there. It's a half-vacant pedestrian mall (the occupied storefronts are filled with chain stores that you find anywhere) built next to a football stadium. The Hall is cool, Bass Pro Shops is cool (though they have them all over the country), but there's not much at Patriot Place to keep you occupied for more than a few hours. There's NOTHING in the area right around it. I feel like it would be a waste of a vacation to center it around Patriot Place. It's just not that remarkable.

My suggestion would be to take the Commuter Rail from TF Green to Boston and stay in a Boston hotel. As of last month, you can catch a commuter rail train right from the Airport in PVD (it's actually Warwick, RI). Here's a link to the Airport commuter rail schedule. You can use a service like Hotwire or bidding on Priceline to get a 3 or 4 star downtown hotel for about as cheap as you would get a 2-3 star suburban hotel. If you look at places in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Financial District, Theater District, North End, Faneuil Hall, you will be in walkable areas with immediate access to the local subway (the "T") to get anywhere else in the city.

If you stay IN Boston, you can do everything without a car (think of the money you'll save). The city is walkable, and for the further areas, the subway will take you there. The commuter rail goes even further (near ski areas, seaside towns and beyond).

If you really want to see Patriot Place, you can rent a car for a single day from Logan Airport, take the subway to the airport, pick up the car and drive down to Patriot Place. Return it that evening and take the train back downtown to your hotel. Staying in the city will save you money on week long car rentals, round trip commuter rail rides ($12-16 each time) and parking costs. You'll also be closer to much more in terms of attractions and things to do.

It's you're vacation, do what you want, but I would highly recommend staying downtown and not around Patriot Place. I think you'd get bored out there in suburbia.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

I live a few miles away from Patriot Place and have never even bother stepping in. Everytime I drive by it's like 'blahhh' boring in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're a hard Pats fan wanting to touch the stadium, I wouldn't even recommend it.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 18,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
I live a few miles away from Patriot Place and have never even bother stepping in. Everytime I drive by it's like 'blahhh' boring in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're a hard Pats fan wanting to touch the stadium, I wouldn't even recommend it.
ditto, theres nothing to see there unless you actually get a tour of the stadium if you really want to see it. Theres a hilton hotel, olive garden, reebok etc. nothing you havent seen before

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Hey guys. I've had a sudden change of plans. I won't be going to Boston until late June. This will be better since the weather will be warmer and the days will be longer.

I actually have a business trip planned in Washington, DC during that time. So I figure that it would be more convenient from me to fly from DC straight to Boston.

I'm now planning to fly from Reagan National to Logan. I'm probably going to spend three nights in Beantown- the first night being when I land at Logan.

I'm probably going to rent a car for only one day. That way I could drive to Patriot Place, and then return the car at the end of the day.

The next day I'm going to spend the entire day in Downtown Boston. I plan to visit the Boston Garden, Fenway Park, the Boston Common, and the Aquarium. If I have time, I may take a look at a few of the college/university campuses- Harvard, MIT, BU, Northeastern, etc.

Are there any hotels in Downtown Boston that offer free parking?

Should I go to a car rental center that is inside Logan or inside the downtown area?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Free downtown parking? LOL! You should just rent a car right off the flight to drive to Patriot Place, then returning the car at the end of the day. After 6-8pm, parking are free on the street so you can simply park overnite before returning the car early the next day.

There are lots hotels to choose from all conveniently located...Taj, Ritz Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, W, Marriott, Hilton, etc. It's pretty expensive so time for you to redeem those hotel reward points for free nights if you have them.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM

2,232 posts, read 4,376,864 times
There is nothing special about patriots place, its just a medium sized mall with the same stores as anywhere else. Your really not missing anything by not going. If you do rent a car there are tons of different places I would go to before patriots place.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
There are lots hotels to choose from all conveniently located...Taj, Ritz Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, W, Marriott, Hilton, etc. It's pretty expensive so time for you to redeem those hotel reward points for free nights if you have them.
I don't have any.

If you guys can think of a relatively "cheap" downtown hotel for 3 nights, please let me know.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
If you go to betterbidding.com and search what other people are getting for prices on Boston Hotels you can place a informed bid on priceline or hotwire. It's the easiest way to get a good hotel "cheap".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston