U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM

95 posts, read 169,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
The liberal politics.
I love how "liberal politics" is always trotted out as a black mark on Mass. To each his own...I thought the high taxes was debunked and MA has an average tax burden. Can't argue about the drivers but like anything else, you get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,822,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
What is there to handle? The bad weather. The hustle and bustle fast pace. The rude people. The Ma$$hole drivers. The taxes. The liberal politics. The high cost of living.

I'm sorry but Jerry Remy's new restaurant and a Bruins pub crawl is def not enough to make me stick around and "handle" everything else that comes with living in Boston Mass.
bye

Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM

53 posts, read 193,743 times
Ahh, I miss New England so much. So glad to be moving to Boston in the summer. I'll take all of the negatives people mentioned (many translated into positives in my book) to experience the great culture, bars, worldliness and fast-paced lifestyle of Boston. I currently live in the South and there is such pressure to fit into the mold here (they may not say so in so many words but they are judging you nonetheless). God forbid I admit I am liberal or pro-gay rights here. I love you, Boston!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,888 times
I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama and it is to hot here. Hot humid days and nights. Would love to move up to Boston area but my Southern Accent would give me away. I do alot of Sailing and would love to come up and live in a cooler enviroment.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM

268 posts, read 846,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Yep, 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather according to the people who judge a season by one, rare, seasonal snow storm. Heck, we just got 65 degree weather in February. Maybe, we'll call February spring!!! Because one freak snow storm in April means April is winter!!! One freak spring day in February must mean February is spring!
Good grief
Hey, wondering when the 8 months of glory starts - when I get to shut the oil furnace off? When it gets out of the 40's..?
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 42.23N and Longitude 71.07W
Or when all the monster snowbanks melt? Images: Monster Snowbank Refuses To Melt - Photos - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/news/27825309/detail.html - broken link)
I know of two others, in Braintree and Chelsea, I am sure there are more - can we have some summer PUH-LEEZ??

Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 PM

1,270 posts, read 4,786,237 times
Default Boston Weather

Just keep in mind , a lot of the country has Blazing hot, summers..that are unbearable for most of the summer, whereas once its summer here, we have several months of great weather from 60's, 70's in spring to 80's to around 90 for a few weeks in Late July through August, then several months until November of Fabulous fall crisp weather in the 70s and 60s. Yes the winters are harsh, but the late spring through mid fall , late fall are gorgeous. Also we get the foliage and such. whereas a lot of places don't.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 PM

38 posts, read 56,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEast Reborn View Post
Jesus Christ, some of these replies are so typical of sheltered, close minded, and abrasive east coasters. Which is typical of people from Boston. Trust me, everyone I've met from that city (11, not a lot but enough) plus the replies in this thread just concretes my belief that you guys are pr1cks. And yes, the weather there sucks. Quit calling people whiners because they prefer the warmth and sunshine. And its not a matter of "putting on a jacket", for a lot of people the winter has a dampening psychological effect known as S.A.D. The lack of sunlight and depressing gray skies for half a year provokes negative changes in the brain. No wonder you guys are such jerks (and proud of it lol wtf) I think that's also one of the reasons you guys are such crazy sports fans, because you have nothing else going for you. Boston brings down the great image of New England.

I've lived here my whole life and I totally concur with this statement..

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM

6,687 posts, read 11,947,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCollins View Post
I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama and it is to hot here. Hot humid days and nights. Would love to move up to Boston area but my Southern Accent would give me away. I do alot of Sailing and would love to come up and live in a cooler enviroment.

Then you should move up or make a visit anyway. I think there is probably more noticing where you live than in Boston. Boston and much of Eastern Mass is made up of so many people from all over the world. You would just blend in.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
you'll likely be miserable in dallas, atlanta or most of fla with the oppressive and unyielding summer heat and consistentaly high dew point temps (mugginess).

We'll get very uncomfortable, even at 3 am, for parts of the summer, but we often have a nice day or two of summer to break it up. Dallas can be 90 plus for 30-90 days, all humid. Atlanta and dallas get very cold in winter: Lows uner 40 are normal, in the 30s and 20s not uncommon. True, it's a shorter winter, though. They seem to get ice storms at times. Even tampa is in the 30s and 40s many nites in winter (sometimes in the 20s). During a recent super bowl in tampa, some nites that week fell below 40. Boston's low has been higher or comparable to atl several times in nov. And dec. I'm a weather buff, thus i'm knowledgeable on this.

As you know, we rarely hit below 10-15 in boston at nite. Minus 2 (worse with the windchill) at 7 am the other day is extraordinary...coldest in 6 years! Many winters, despite some snow and some bitter cold, most of the time we have little or no snow on the ground! Many years the ski areas complain because bostonians don't see snow in their yards, thus don't drive north if there is snow.

It's the winds here which can be awful. I agree. But do we really have that many cloudy days in winter vs. Sunny? I'm told by some that even if it's cold, at least we have sun much of the time.

Nowhere in mainland us does it not go below 50 for lows at times. Even la and san diego hover at high 40s-low 50s much of the winter. That seems unfair to those living there...brutal actually.

Plus, it'll be harder to find as many great school districts in many other cities.

But yes, those cheap new homes elsewhere can be tempting!
i cannot agree more!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 AM

43 posts, read 190,580 times
[quote=lukec;17613023]Pretty condescending for somehow complaining about rude people.

For starters, just because it snows doesn't mean its winter. October and April are not winter even if we get a freak snow storm. We do get about three real months of winter, stating that we get six it ridiculous.

ummmm, i don't think it's ridiculous at all! we do get six months of winter here! It snows from November to April. There is NO spring (unless u count 6-8 weeks of nonstop rain and rawness as Spring). The only months that are guaranteed to be nice are June- Sept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or