U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
I concur as well! not only does the weather suck, but people are unfriendly, and no one wants to do anything! Oh and the city is really small and rather boring after you've been here for a few years. I'm 30 and even some of my friends who have moved here post college have already left saying they've "seen all they've wanted to see".
The weather has been really wonderful this last week. And over the weekend, there were great events such as the Cambridge River Festival and the Community Rowing Spring Festival fundraiser for WBUR, AND then there were the awesome fireworks Saturday night for the 150th anniversary of MIT.

And I like that Boston isn't a mindless party town and filled with sun worshipers and beach bums. And because the city is small, well it's easy to get around without a car. And there is a good chance of bumping into someone I know in a random part of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
Oh and the city is really small and rather boring after you've been here for a few years. I'm 30 and even some of my friends who have moved here post college have already left saying they've "seen all they've wanted to see".
Boston does not exist exclusively for people who "moved here post college." It's the capital of a proud region full of people who never left and who appreciate the turning of the seasons.

So some people from away move on after a few years? Who cares? I lived in New York for most of 15 years and know plenty of people who moved there after college and left before they turned 30.

I'd bet 3/4 of the people who have "seen all they've wanted to see" didn't even see half the things within striking distance of Boston. There's so much within an easy weekend drive.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM

30 posts, read 46,674 times
I currently live in Knoxville, TN and I will gladly switch places with you. We have consistently had temps in the mid to high 90's with almost 100% humidity this entire summer and all I can think about is the amount of snow Boston would get in the winter. I absolutely love snow and we almost never see it down here. If it snows more than an inch (which is rare), our entire city practically shuts down because we don't know how to deal with "extreme weather" like snow in the South. Every city has something that makes people miserable...Boston has snowy winters and frigid temps; Atlanta will have horrible humidity and lots of flooding due to the amount of concrete in the city. Dallas will have a dry, baking heat and possible sandstorms (never been there but I've heard stories). No city is perfect, but you have to decide what you can tolerate and what is a deal breaker. Good luck!!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 20,967 times
I understand that the weather can be bad; however, I would make a list of pros and cons and see if the cons outweigh the pros. IF so, then leave! I personally am leaving the south (Florida) to head to Boston and I can tell you this: Florida no jobs (I am college educated with an HRM degree, they do however have good tech jobs here from what I see). Atlanta (lived there for 3 years...when you sit in traffic for 2 hours to get some where that takes 30 minutes normally, then you will see why I left). Keep in mind that the southeast will have lower paying jobs and commutes will be even longer than in Boston and to top it all off I feel low quality of life. There are too many individuals in the south that do not want to do anything with themselves no education no nothing but that is probably because there is nothing cultural to do here. Unless you have money for Disney everyday ($84 a park and there are over 5 parks). I see make a list and look around and get out if you are miserable. I am leaving Florida for Boston next year and couldn't be more happier!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1234 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been living in Boston since the past 7-8 yrs. My wife and I have good paying, stable technology jobs in Boston.

But, I'm just sick of this long cold winter which lasts for 6 months a year! It's all gloomy, gray and depressing. Probably, I'm just getting older (I'm 30 yrs old). Add to that Boston is super expensive! 70 year old homes sell for > 550k$ in good school towns + 6 months of high heating bills + super high property taxes!

I'm seriously thinking of moving to a warmer, cheaper city like Atlanta,Ga, Dallas,tx , etc.

I love Boston in the summer..but it's hardly there to enjoy. The beaches, the downtown, the harbor, great school system for kids and safe suburbs...its all nice...except for the winter.

I'm not sure if I'm being just a cry baby because of the weather or should I really follow my wishful dreams and make a move to these cheaper,warmer cities. Is it worth starting all over again in a new city?

I see all these brand new homes on HGTV selling for 300k$ in sunny florida, atlanta, dallas and I feel sad about living in Boston. Are these worth moving for?..or its just grass is greener on the other side?
I feel the same way. It's cold and dark for 6 months and then it rains everyday from may to July ....then it finally gets really nice for 3 weeks...thn you get heat waves for all of July and August ....the fall is great but that only lasts from September 15 to October 25 and then it gets too cold and dark. I have lived here 11 years and now I am moving back down to the midatlantic. I really need a good place to do some veggi gardening. You can't grow much in Boston. Again, it's a great place to come and learn, get on xperince, go on a vacation etc. brutal Climate though....it's time to go.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM

261 posts, read 844,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrabbit View Post
I feel the same way. It's cold and dark for 6 months and then it rains everyday from may to July ....then it finally gets really nice for 3 weeks...thn you get heat waves for all of July and August ....the fall is great but that only lasts from September 15 to October 25 and then it gets too cold and dark. I have lived here 11 years and now I am moving back down to the midatlantic. I really need a good place to do some veggi gardening. You can't grow much in Boston.
Are you for real? Winters are tough and gray, I save all my vacation and get out as long as I can. But everything else u said is just nonsense. From May to October overall it is fab here, my neighbors all have unreal veggie gardens as well. I have no AC bills(or AC, don't need it..), I live in a coastal town, on the beach in 10 mins, in the state park Mt Biking, hiking, great concerts and music outdoors all summer. Dude just move and free up the space already..

Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrabbit View Post
brutal Climate though....it's time to go.
Yeah that 1/2 inch of snow we had this winter was a real bear. And those 80 temps in March?? Brrr!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM

38 posts, read 71,151 times
How did this thread get dug up again?

Anyway... there's pro's and con's of everything. To be honest, Boston's climate is perfect for me. I've been elsewhere in the world but nowhere that I feel I could live there permanently other than here.

I grew up in Ireland so Bostons weather is just great IMO. You get a real summer. Spring and fall are just as they should be, a mix of some nice days, some rainy days but generally more nice than not and temps are nice and comfortable. Winter CAN be cold but it's not a rule and it's only really 1 month at most that gets bitter.

I mean, if it rains here, it's just a day or an afternoon where you get a downpour and it's gone. I love that! Where I'm from it just feel like its 364 days of constand drixxly misty crappy rain, which never goes away. People go wild here about "storms", even the big storm due to come last summer here was just a "Bad Irish day" to me, I'd have thought nothing about going about my usual business but people over hype one bad day here.

My town back home flooded pretty badly yesterday (on June 28th!), so by comparison, I'll take todays morning drizzle into this evenings sunny heat thanks very much.

Winter's also not so bad. It's cold but it's a dry cold and Boston doesn't really get much wind so the cold doesn't really cut through you, just wrap up and you're fine. The roads and areas are all taken care of very well so a snow day doesn't shut things down, in fact it will make you wanna do a road trip to the mountains. I really don't know how the "bad" winter arguments holds any water over here. It's cold, but it's NOT for long, and it's not THAT cold compared to other places.

I think people are being a little "grass is greener" on this. People seem to consider anything under 70 as "cold"... thats summer to me, I have to laugh at anyone using the word cold until it's at least under 40. Different strokes I guess.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
Boston is good for a career and making good money but besides that the weather sucks and makes having an enjoyable life harder. If anyone has ever lived any where with shorter winters they may feel the same way.

I want to live somewhere where a beautiful 80 degree day doesn't feel wasted when spent at work but instead I will know there will be plenty of more beautiful days to come.

Here going to the beach is a huge production, but in the tropics it's the equivalent of a walk through the common.

I grew up here but lived in the tropics for 5 years and it changed my mindset

Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM

261 posts, read 844,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Here going to the beach is a huge production, but in the tropics it's the equivalent of a walk through the common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or