U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM

7,092 posts, read 6,746,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Does the T go to The Cape or any other beach?
Does not go to the cape. There are private bus lines that go from S. Station but as far as getting to the beach there I don't know.

The only beach I can really think of that's directly on the T would be Revere Beach. It is an urban, crowded, and not the nicest beach but on a really hot day I guess one can deal with those things. Also Nantasket Beach which is slightly nicer I believe there are buses from the Quincy Center T. Depending on where you are coming from that could be a very long trip though.

This site should be helpful as well. I forgot Carson Beach is a 10-15 minute walk from the JFK/UMASS stop. Again, not the greatest.

http://www.boston-discovery-guide.co...#axzz1zWbPt5aN

You could also look into the harbor islands (I believe Spectacle and Lovells have beaches?):

http://www.bostonharborislands.org/

Last edited by massnative71; 07-02-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,473,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Does the T go to The Cape or any other beach?
The MBTA has a free shuttle for parts of the summer from their Ipswich stop to Crane's Beach, one of the best in the state. Have been advertising this the past few years on the subway cars. You'd leave North Station. Maybe a $13 round-trip or so, recognizing the fares just increased on the First.

Also, Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-Sea is also within a fifteen-minute walk of the commuter rail. It's a wonderful beach according to a friend who loves the beach.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,867,451 times
Revere Beach isn't that bad, especially if you walk up past Kelly's, it gets a little quieter. They've cleaned it up quite a bit in the past 10 years. Side note, Kelly's alone is worth the trip IMO.

Wollaston Beach is also an easy walk from the Wollaston stop on the Redline. And there's a beach in Beverly not far (15 min walk?) from the commuter rail stop in Beverly.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Yeah that 1/2 inch of snow we had this winter was a real bear. And those 80 temps in March?? Brrr!
Sounds like you have only lived here for a year or two. Last winter was a fluke. The spring and fall are great but the rrest of the time its not good. I will miss how small it is and how easy it is to walk around the whole city. Also, this forum is a place to get advice and exchange thoughts. We could do without the sarcasm.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 AM

6,007 posts, read 13,204,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrabbit View Post
Also, this forum is a place to get advice and exchange thoughts. We could do without the sarcasm.
Naw, the sarcasm is what makes this forum so much fun!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,273,922 times
You really can't compare revere beach to any beach worth going to, especially Florida.

The Cape has it's share of nice beaches but that doesn't change the fact that living there full-time in the winter is depressing as **** and the water is ice cold even in the summer.

Summer is tourist season but tourists never go to the beaches here. They stay in the city and check out historic sites, if you asked one of them if they were planning on going to the beach while here they would probably start laughing unless they are from Canada.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,542 times
Almost June and weather still sucky in MA. Life is too short to look at cloudy skies for 7+ months! Head south. I did.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM

7,927 posts, read 6,856,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanon View Post
Almost June and weather still sucky in MA. Life is too short to look at cloudy skies for 7+ months! Head south. I did.
sweet post.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,204,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanon View Post
Yup, so you can spend your summer months indoors in front of an AC and trying to dodge the sparrow sized flying cockroaches and ticks. No thanks.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,473,244 times
Umm...it's cloudy in San Diego right now. Just checked, as I regularly check 20 plus cities daily. So, no, it's not always sunny there. Denver claims to have 300 plus sunny days yearly, though it seems that's not totally accurate from what I've read from some posters on their board -- at least not sunny ALL day long?

It's 70 plus dew points in Austin, DFW and Houston now. Yuck. Florida cites are warm but not too humid, as I just checked. But it's been humid down there much of the past two months. NYC is only 50, while we're 47 and some rain at 6 pm. I think Chicago is not too warm, either.

Yes, it's disappointing for this time of year -- but, I feel the past month has been quite nice much of the time, no? I'm not a beach reason, so nt a big deal, but it's too bad for those who expected more this holiday weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or