U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,273,922 times
Reputation: 3037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesthesia View Post
I'm from Boston, and have lived there most of my life, and I can tell you that most people from the Boston area are lifers...they never leave because their entire extended family usually resides across the spread of a couple of wretched towns, or because they are too scared & narrow-minded to branch out & see the rest of the country. The truth is that most of the people in New England only stick around because they simply don't know what it is they are truly missing. People from Boston are work-aholics whose only enjoyment is sitting their large, obese, selves on the couch and watching sports...that is all.

The image that comes to mind when I think of Boston is this: A pothole filled with dirty, oil-slicked rainwater, cigarette buts, soggy lottery tickets, & old Red Sox tickets...that is all.

Honestly, the weather is completely abysmal from Mid-October through June, and by the time July & August come around, between the natives who are crazed from 9 months of darkness, & all of the GD tourists and snow-birds, people are literally clawing at each other for the last parking spot at the nearest wildly over-crowded beach...I mean that is PENDING the OFF CHANCE that there be one completely sunny day...which is like a unicorn here in Massachusetts. Realistically, the only 2 months worth living in Boston are July & August, which is why our population almost quadruples during those months due to tourists and snow-birds who enjoy the best part, and flee before 10 months of Hell.

For the past 3 years that I have lived in MA after moving back from VA for grad school, the ENTIRE month of June has been dark, rainy, and in the 50s...yes...in June. Then, when July comes along, it goes from 50s and rainy, to 90-93 degrees and humid as a steam room. There simply is no spring, and anyone who claims that there is a spring in New England clearly has not traveled much at all. In VA, I was in a T-shirt by March, and temps gradually rose from 50-60-70-80...etc...the change was gradual, like it should be, and quite comfortable. Good luck finding a transitional period from winter to summer up here...it just doesn't happen.

There is so little sunshine up here, in fact, that our rate of Multiple Sclerosis is one of the highest in the country. Don't believe me? Google search a distribution map of Multiple Sclerosis cases...they are clustered most heavily up north, and almost NON-EXISTANT in the southern states...clearly, the human body needs sunshine, and does not like being covered in clothing from head to toe & locked up for 10 months of the year. So while the typical overweight, beer-drinking Sox fan in Boston is rotting in front of the television for 10 months getting almost zero exposure to the sun...he may just be slowly developing multiple sclerosis, then @ the ripe age of 40...surprise!!! You won't be able to wipe your behind by yourself in 5 years! Bring on the wheel chair! I mean, at least he would still be able to drink beer and watch his precious sox in a wheelchair, right?

Aside from all of the absolutely horrible weather, the cost of living up here is laughable, at best. I mean, you spend 9 months a year inside your house, and because the housing prices are extremely inflated up here, $500K will buy you a reclaimed Meth Lab that needs to be gutted and completely re-done. If you want a move-in ready house with a granite kitchen and an acre of land...HA! Expect to pay >$750K at a minimum....don't believe me just take a look-see on Realtor.com for a good laugh.

If all of that didn't convince you that Boston is the @sscrack of America, how about the traffic? 3 years of traffic in the DC area was a breeze compared to the traffic I have lived with in Boston. Want to go to the Cape? You will rot for about 4 hours waiting to get over the bridge. Want to go up north skiing on a Friday...Yeah, I'm sure you do...you & about 4 million other New Englanders, so expect rotting in the worst traffic of your life to put you in a jolly mood for skiing. The daily commute...don't even get me started.

If all of that doesn't have you convinced...how about all of the taxes, rules, and regulations in Massachusetts that totally shaft its residents? Wanna buy a car in another state & drive it back? HA! You can't! the DMV will tell you to go FIST yourself because MA "Doesn't Do" temporary tags...they just don't...So if you want to buy a non-MA car that is not a complete RUST BUCKET, say, in Florida, you have to fly down, pay for the car in cash, get the title, fly back to MA, wait in DMV for the correct forms, fax the forms to your insurance agent, get your insurance info, then register your car, BEFORE you can legally drive it back to MA...don't believe me? Call the DMV and ask them.

Don't worry, I will send pictures of my 7 bedroom, 5,600 square foot home outside of Houston, TX with a 4-car garage, gourmet kitchen, in-ground pool, & tennis courts, etc. that I just closed on...that I paid $450K, yes, $450K. When I'm drinking a beer & grilling a steak on the grill that is park of the outdoor kitchen that is looking over my pool, I will think of all of the miserable, unfriendly @ssholes that I left behind in MA, and my friends that will pay $450K for a 2BR shanty in Quincy, so close to the next house that when you fart inside your bathroom, your neighbor will hear you. Too hot & humid in TX? Oh, that's right, I have a massive pool as well as a fully air conditioned house...what's your point? Too many bugs? Really...A grown man scared of a couple of cockroaches?

Sounds logical...I will sit and rot up in Boston, one of the most expensive and underwhelming cities in the country, plagued by 9-10 months of cloud-smeared darkness & some of the worst traffic on earth, because it's too hot & humid down south & I have heard they have large insects, and snakes, and pickup trucks, oh-my...makes sense...

Have fun shoveling snow, paying 6.25% sales tax, & rooting for Elizabeth Warren guys, have fun. Oh, and also, have fun zipping around town in your Toyota Prius with the Red Sox license plate...hahahahaha PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EPIC! This reminds me of all the reasons I'm looking to leave. Not to Texas but to the Carolinas. I just hope I can find a decent job there when I graduate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
 
450 posts, read 464,227 times
Reputation: 387
Well you'll also be paying (at least) 6.25% sales tax in Texas. Wait make that 8.25% in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,353,263 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Enjoy Houston, the only place I have sat in traffic for hours on an 8- or 10-lane highway, miserably trying to escape the city for the weekend with everyone else.
Actually I got a good laugh out of Benesthesia's post. Well-done humorous look at the local underbelly, and every place does have its underbelly. But then to get serious, yes, the traffic in Boston is pretty bad. But to say it's worst than D.C.'s? Not even close. And Houston? C'm'on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
(wait, where are you from? You say that Boston has an obesity issue?)
I wonder how much time he's actually spent in Houston. A few years ago I saw one of those lists of Best/Worst Cities For . . . Houston ranked as the fattest city in the country. If Benesthesia wants to escape being surrounded by obesity when he leaves Boston, he may be in for a rude awakening in Houston. Hmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,353,263 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesthesia View Post
I'm from Boston, and have lived there most of my life, and I can tell you that most people from the Boston area are lifers...they never leave because their entire extended family usually resides across the spread of a couple of wretched towns, or because they are too scared & narrow-minded to branch out & see the rest of the country. The truth is that most of the people in New England only stick around because they simply don't know what it is they are truly missing. People from Boston are work-aholics whose only enjoyment is sitting their large, obese, selves on the couch and watching sports...that is all.

The image that comes to mind when I think of Boston is this: A pothole filled with dirty, oil-slicked rainwater, cigarette buts, soggy lottery tickets, & old Red Sox tickets...that is all.

Honestly, the weather is completely abysmal from Mid-October through June, and by the time July & August come around, between the natives who are crazed from 9 months of darkness, & all of the GD tourists and snow-birds, people are literally clawing at each other for the last parking spot at the nearest wildly over-crowded beach...I mean that is PENDING the OFF CHANCE that there be one completely sunny day...which is like a unicorn here in Massachusetts. Realistically, the only 2 months worth living in Boston are July & August, which is why our population almost quadruples during those months due to tourists and snow-birds who enjoy the best part, and flee before 10 months of Hell.

For the past 3 years that I have lived in MA after moving back from VA for grad school, the ENTIRE month of June has been dark, rainy, and in the 50s...yes...in June. Then, when July comes along, it goes from 50s and rainy, to 90-93 degrees and humid as a steam room. There simply is no spring, and anyone who claims that there is a spring in New England clearly has not traveled much at all. In VA, I was in a T-shirt by March, and temps gradually rose from 50-60-70-80...etc...the change was gradual, like it should be, and quite comfortable. Good luck finding a transitional period from winter to summer up here...it just doesn't happen.

There is so little sunshine up here, in fact, that our rate of Multiple Sclerosis is one of the highest in the country. Don't believe me? Google search a distribution map of Multiple Sclerosis cases...they are clustered most heavily up north, and almost NON-EXISTANT in the southern states...clearly, the human body needs sunshine, and does not like being covered in clothing from head to toe & locked up for 10 months of the year. So while the typical overweight, beer-drinking Sox fan in Boston is rotting in front of the television for 10 months getting almost zero exposure to the sun...he may just be slowly developing multiple sclerosis, then @ the ripe age of 40...surprise!!! You won't be able to wipe your behind by yourself in 5 years! Bring on the wheel chair! I mean, at least he would still be able to drink beer and watch his precious sox in a wheelchair, right?

Aside from all of the absolutely horrible weather, the cost of living up here is laughable, at best. I mean, you spend 9 months a year inside your house, and because the housing prices are extremely inflated up here, $500K will buy you a reclaimed Meth Lab that needs to be gutted and completely re-done. If you want a move-in ready house with a granite kitchen and an acre of land...HA! Expect to pay >$750K at a minimum....don't believe me just take a look-see on Realtor.com for a good laugh.

If all of that didn't convince you that Boston is the @sscrack of America, how about the traffic? 3 years of traffic in the DC area was a breeze compared to the traffic I have lived with in Boston. Want to go to the Cape? You will rot for about 4 hours waiting to get over the bridge. Want to go up north skiing on a Friday...Yeah, I'm sure you do...you & about 4 million other New Englanders, so expect rotting in the worst traffic of your life to put you in a jolly mood for skiing. The daily commute...don't even get me started.

If all of that doesn't have you convinced...how about all of the taxes, rules, and regulations in Massachusetts that totally shaft its residents? Wanna buy a car in another state & drive it back? HA! You can't! the DMV will tell you to go FIST yourself because MA "Doesn't Do" temporary tags...they just don't...So if you want to buy a non-MA car that is not a complete RUST BUCKET, say, in Florida, you have to fly down, pay for the car in cash, get the title, fly back to MA, wait in DMV for the correct forms, fax the forms to your insurance agent, get your insurance info, then register your car, BEFORE you can legally drive it back to MA...don't believe me? Call the DMV and ask them.

Don't worry, I will send pictures of my 7 bedroom, 5,600 square foot home outside of Houston, TX with a 4-car garage, gourmet kitchen, in-ground pool, & tennis courts, etc. that I just closed on...that I paid $450K, yes, $450K. When I'm drinking a beer & grilling a steak on the grill that is park of the outdoor kitchen that is looking over my pool, I will think of all of the miserable, unfriendly @ssholes that I left behind in MA, and my friends that will pay $450K for a 2BR shanty in Quincy, so close to the next house that when you fart inside your bathroom, your neighbor will hear you. Too hot & humid in TX? Oh, that's right, I have a massive pool as well as a fully air conditioned house...what's your point? Too many bugs? Really...A grown man scared of a couple of cockroaches?

Sounds logical...I will sit and rot up in Boston, one of the most expensive and underwhelming cities in the country, plagued by 9-10 months of cloud-smeared darkness & some of the worst traffic on earth, because it's too hot & humid down south & I have heard they have large insects, and snakes, and pickup trucks, oh-my...makes sense...

Have fun shoveling snow, paying 6.25% sales tax, & rooting for Elizabeth Warren guys, have fun. Oh, and also, have fun zipping around town in your Toyota Prius with the Red Sox license plate...hahahahaha PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
Don't forget the detritus from the seething hoards of 8th grade educated Dunkin' Donuts swillers who throw their trash in the streets. That is, of course, if they can even make their way into a Dunkin Donuts past the homeless alcoholic chain smokers who loiter the day away p@ssing in the bushes until the shelter opens up again.


Seriously, there is not enough Rep in the world for this post.
Lots of spouting off about fat Hahwpuh commercial types and weather and trash in the streets, but you guys have missed a lot here.

What about psycho-bad blue-collar guys from the old neigh-buh-hoods, as in The Town?

Or effete yuppies whose worlds revolve completely around coffee shops, who would AHbsolootely faint dead away without their semi-hourly latte infusion.

Or ocean water so cold it just might literally turn you to a block of ice if you go in deeper than your ankles for more than half a minute.

Or natives who give the cold stare and literally won't talk to you even to warn you that a car is about to hit you if you're not a member of their eight-generation in-bred extended family that all lives in a few square blocks in the same faded old blue-collar small city.

I mean, c'm'on! If you're gonna put us down, do it right!

Seriously, Benesthesia, I actually got a good laugh out of your post. As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread, no place is right for everyone. There appear to be some modestly strong hints that Boston is not the true ideal for you. So, best wishes on finding what you're looking for in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,055 posts, read 4,445,810 times
Reputation: 4617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesthesia View Post
I'm from Boston, and have lived there most of my life, and I can tell you that most people from the Boston area are lifers...they never leave because their entire extended family usually resides across the spread of a couple of wretched towns, or because they are too scared & narrow-minded to branch out & see the rest of the country. The truth is that most of the people in New England only stick around because they simply don't know what it is they are truly missing. People from Boston are work-aholics whose only enjoyment is sitting their large, obese, selves on the couch and watching sports...that is all.

The image that comes to mind when I think of Boston is this: A pothole filled with dirty, oil-slicked rainwater, cigarette buts, soggy lottery tickets, & old Red Sox tickets...that is all.

Honestly, the weather is completely abysmal from Mid-October through June, and by the time July & August come around, between the natives who are crazed from 9 months of darkness, & all of the GD tourists and snow-birds, people are literally clawing at each other for the last parking spot at the nearest wildly over-crowded beach...I mean that is PENDING the OFF CHANCE that there be one completely sunny day...which is like a unicorn here in Massachusetts. Realistically, the only 2 months worth living in Boston are July & August, which is why our population almost quadruples during those months due to tourists and snow-birds who enjoy the best part, and flee before 10 months of Hell.

For the past 3 years that I have lived in MA after moving back from VA for grad school, the ENTIRE month of June has been dark, rainy, and in the 50s...yes...in June. Then, when July comes along, it goes from 50s and rainy, to 90-93 degrees and humid as a steam room. There simply is no spring, and anyone who claims that there is a spring in New England clearly has not traveled much at all. In VA, I was in a T-shirt by March, and temps gradually rose from 50-60-70-80...etc...the change was gradual, like it should be, and quite comfortable. Good luck finding a transitional period from winter to summer up here...it just doesn't happen.

There is so little sunshine up here, in fact, that our rate of Multiple Sclerosis is one of the highest in the country. Don't believe me? Google search a distribution map of Multiple Sclerosis cases...they are clustered most heavily up north, and almost NON-EXISTANT in the southern states...clearly, the human body needs sunshine, and does not like being covered in clothing from head to toe & locked up for 10 months of the year. So while the typical overweight, beer-drinking Sox fan in Boston is rotting in front of the television for 10 months getting almost zero exposure to the sun...he may just be slowly developing multiple sclerosis, then @ the ripe age of 40...surprise!!! You won't be able to wipe your behind by yourself in 5 years! Bring on the wheel chair! I mean, at least he would still be able to drink beer and watch his precious sox in a wheelchair, right?

Aside from all of the absolutely horrible weather, the cost of living up here is laughable, at best. I mean, you spend 9 months a year inside your house, and because the housing prices are extremely inflated up here, $500K will buy you a reclaimed Meth Lab that needs to be gutted and completely re-done. If you want a move-in ready house with a granite kitchen and an acre of land...HA! Expect to pay >$750K at a minimum....don't believe me just take a look-see on Realtor.com for a good laugh.

If all of that didn't convince you that Boston is the @sscrack of America, how about the traffic? 3 years of traffic in the DC area was a breeze compared to the traffic I have lived with in Boston. Want to go to the Cape? You will rot for about 4 hours waiting to get over the bridge. Want to go up north skiing on a Friday...Yeah, I'm sure you do...you & about 4 million other New Englanders, so expect rotting in the worst traffic of your life to put you in a jolly mood for skiing. The daily commute...don't even get me started.

If all of that doesn't have you convinced...how about all of the taxes, rules, and regulations in Massachusetts that totally shaft its residents? Wanna buy a car in another state & drive it back? HA! You can't! the DMV will tell you to go FIST yourself because MA "Doesn't Do" temporary tags...they just don't...So if you want to buy a non-MA car that is not a complete RUST BUCKET, say, in Florida, you have to fly down, pay for the car in cash, get the title, fly back to MA, wait in DMV for the correct forms, fax the forms to your insurance agent, get your insurance info, then register your car, BEFORE you can legally drive it back to MA...don't believe me? Call the DMV and ask them.

Don't worry, I will send pictures of my 7 bedroom, 5,600 square foot home outside of Houston, TX with a 4-car garage, gourmet kitchen, in-ground pool, & tennis courts, etc. that I just closed on...that I paid $450K, yes, $450K. When I'm drinking a beer & grilling a steak on the grill that is park of the outdoor kitchen that is looking over my pool, I will think of all of the miserable, unfriendly @ssholes that I left behind in MA, and my friends that will pay $450K for a 2BR shanty in Quincy, so close to the next house that when you fart inside your bathroom, your neighbor will hear you. Too hot & humid in TX? Oh, that's right, I have a massive pool as well as a fully air conditioned house...what's your point? Too many bugs? Really...A grown man scared of a couple of cockroaches?

Sounds logical...I will sit and rot up in Boston, one of the most expensive and underwhelming cities in the country, plagued by 9-10 months of cloud-smeared darkness & some of the worst traffic on earth, because it's too hot & humid down south & I have heard they have large insects, and snakes, and pickup trucks, oh-my...makes sense...

Have fun shoveling snow, paying 6.25% sales tax, & rooting for Elizabeth Warren guys, have fun. Oh, and also, have fun zipping around town in your Toyota Prius with the Red Sox license plate...hahahahaha PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on your move. Texas is a great state. Take it from me. Just be prepared for an annual property tax bill of about $13K. The fact that there is no state income tax is a wash for most people. The sales tax in Texas is 8.25%. Finally, if you want to talk about obese people, well... you'll find out. I have no regrets leaving MA for TX. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but you will miss MA for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,521 posts, read 33,501,499 times
Reputation: 15259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesthesia View Post
I'm from Boston, and have lived there most of my life
Well that explains everything!!! This poster needs to go explore the US and live in other places. And it may be that Boston is a poor fit for them. And perhaps they just need to get away from family also.

Plus in his (or her) profile it shows living or being from South Dartmouth. So I would expect someone who grew up in a more rural area of Massachusetts would really hate city life and the congested mess around it. I grew up in Concord, and it took awhile for me to get used to living in the city, especially since I was used to driving around. Boston is best traversed by T, but then one has to get used to the T schedules and being in very close quarters with other people.

And I agree with the other posters about DC and Houston traffic. Boston is much better in terms of having less road congestion.

Again, Boston is not a perfect fit for everyone. And unhappy people need to move away and find a place that pleases them. After all, just because Benesthesia loves Houston, doesn't mean that I would love it there also. And no way would I ever visit TX in the summer months. Talk about being hot and muggy... yuck!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM
 
4,255 posts, read 3,330,241 times
Reputation: 7131
Epic rant against Boston. Truly a herculean effort!

Why waste so much energy on the rant when you can use the same energy looking for your new dig in Texas, working extra jobs to make more money for your move etc etc etc. If you hate Boston so much, pick up your stuff and get out. The shanty that your friends bought in Quincy for 450 is priced that way for a reason. It's call "supply and demand", and for one of you, there are plenty with money to replace you. Leave and make everyone happy already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
 
3,600 posts, read 3,681,919 times
Reputation: 2619
There are so many fails in their post that it's not worth pointing them out.

It seems there have been a few rants trashing Boston and Mass as of late by posters with low post counts and almost all of them don't bother to post again defending/explaining their comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
 
4,254 posts, read 5,770,516 times
Reputation: 9962
Sometimes you honestly can't respond to a post because it's so riddled with lies and exaggeration. Boston is where I keep coming back to. I've lived in Northern Virginia, Chicago and Florida and they don't hold a candle to Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesthesia View Post
I'm from Boston, and have lived there most of my life, and I can tell you that most people from the Boston area are lifers...they never leave because their entire extended family usually resides across the spread of a couple of wretched towns, or because they are too scared & narrow-minded to branch out & see the rest of the country. The truth is that most of the people in New England only stick around because they simply don't know what it is they are truly missing. People from Boston are work-aholics whose only enjoyment is sitting their large, obese, selves on the couch and watching sports...that is all.

The image that comes to mind when I think of Boston is this: A pothole filled with dirty, oil-slicked rainwater, cigarette buts, soggy lottery tickets, & old Red Sox tickets...that is all.

Honestly, the weather is completely abysmal from Mid-October through June, and by the time July & August come around, between the natives who are crazed from 9 months of darkness, & all of the GD tourists and snow-birds, people are literally clawing at each other for the last parking spot at the nearest wildly over-crowded beach...I mean that is PENDING the OFF CHANCE that there be one completely sunny day...which is like a unicorn here in Massachusetts. Realistically, the only 2 months worth living in Boston are July & August, which is why our population almost quadruples during those months due to tourists and snow-birds who enjoy the best part, and flee before 10 months of Hell.

For the past 3 years that I have lived in MA after moving back from VA for grad school, the ENTIRE month of June has been dark, rainy, and in the 50s...yes...in June. Then, when July comes along, it goes from 50s and rainy, to 90-93 degrees and humid as a steam room. There simply is no spring, and anyone who claims that there is a spring in New England clearly has not traveled much at all. In VA, I was in a T-shirt by March, and temps gradually rose from 50-60-70-80...etc...the change was gradual, like it should be, and quite comfortable. Good luck finding a transitional period from winter to summer up here...it just doesn't happen.

There is so little sunshine up here, in fact, that our rate of Multiple Sclerosis is one of the highest in the country. Don't believe me? Google search a distribution map of Multiple Sclerosis cases...they are clustered most heavily up north, and almost NON-EXISTANT in the southern states...clearly, the human body needs sunshine, and does not like being covered in clothing from head to toe & locked up for 10 months of the year. So while the typical overweight, beer-drinking Sox fan in Boston is rotting in front of the television for 10 months getting almost zero exposure to the sun...he may just be slowly developing multiple sclerosis, then @ the ripe age of 40...surprise!!! You won't be able to wipe your behind by yourself in 5 years! Bring on the wheel chair! I mean, at least he would still be able to drink beer and watch his precious sox in a wheelchair, right?

Aside from all of the absolutely horrible weather, the cost of living up here is laughable, at best. I mean, you spend 9 months a year inside your house, and because the housing prices are extremely inflated up here, $500K will buy you a reclaimed Meth Lab that needs to be gutted and completely re-done. If you want a move-in ready house with a granite kitchen and an acre of land...HA! Expect to pay >$750K at a minimum....don't believe me just take a look-see on Realtor.com for a good laugh.

If all of that didn't convince you that Boston is the @sscrack of America, how about the traffic? 3 years of traffic in the DC area was a breeze compared to the traffic I have lived with in Boston. Want to go to the Cape? You will rot for about 4 hours waiting to get over the bridge. Want to go up north skiing on a Friday...Yeah, I'm sure you do...you & about 4 million other New Englanders, so expect rotting in the worst traffic of your life to put you in a jolly mood for skiing. The daily commute...don't even get me started.

If all of that doesn't have you convinced...how about all of the taxes, rules, and regulations in Massachusetts that totally shaft its residents? Wanna buy a car in another state & drive it back? HA! You can't! the DMV will tell you to go FIST yourself because MA "Doesn't Do" temporary tags...they just don't...So if you want to buy a non-MA car that is not a complete RUST BUCKET, say, in Florida, you have to fly down, pay for the car in cash, get the title, fly back to MA, wait in DMV for the correct forms, fax the forms to your insurance agent, get your insurance info, then register your car, BEFORE you can legally drive it back to MA...don't believe me? Call the DMV and ask them.

Don't worry, I will send pictures of my 7 bedroom, 5,600 square foot home outside of Houston, TX with a 4-car garage, gourmet kitchen, in-ground pool, & tennis courts, etc. that I just closed on...that I paid $450K, yes, $450K. When I'm drinking a beer & grilling a steak on the grill that is park of the outdoor kitchen that is looking over my pool, I will think of all of the miserable, unfriendly @ssholes that I left behind in MA, and my friends that will pay $450K for a 2BR shanty in Quincy, so close to the next house that when you fart inside your bathroom, your neighbor will hear you. Too hot & humid in TX? Oh, that's right, I have a massive pool as well as a fully air conditioned house...what's your point? Too many bugs? Really...A grown man scared of a couple of cockroaches?

Sounds logical...I will sit and rot up in Boston, one of the most expensive and underwhelming cities in the country, plagued by 9-10 months of cloud-smeared darkness & some of the worst traffic on earth, because it's too hot & humid down south & I have heard they have large insects, and snakes, and pickup trucks, oh-my...makes sense...

Have fun shoveling snow, paying 6.25% sales tax, & rooting for Elizabeth Warren guys, have fun. Oh, and also, have fun zipping around town in your Toyota Prius with the Red Sox license plate...hahahahaha PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
 
21 posts, read 28,701 times
Reputation: 32
You guys DO realize this Benesthesia guy doesn't live in Boston. Never has lived in Boston. And is just posting a rant as a troll right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top