U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,239,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post

Or ocean water so cold it just might literally turn you to a block of ice if you go in deeper than your ankles for more than half a minute.

Or natives who give the cold stare and literally won't talk to you even to warn you that a car is about to hit you if you're not a member of their eight-generation in-bred extended family that all lives in a few square blocks in the same faded old blue-collar small city.

I mean, c'm'on! If you're gonna put us down, do it right!

Seriously, Benesthesia, I actually got a good laugh out of your post. As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread, no place is right for everyone. There appear to be some modestly strong hints that Boston is not the true ideal for you. So, best wishes on finding what you're looking for in Houston.
My family lived, in the summer, at Minot Beach (Scituate) for over 20 years. The water is cold, but it is usually extremely bearable. You just have to go in slowly and then your body gets completely used to it and you just love it. The beach was filled with swimmers, every single sunny day, June to Labor Day.

You comment about the neighbors is funny and has a ring of truth. Not all true, but much is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,488,118 times
What I've noticed is the cheap houses in texas etc are not normally close to the jobs. There are less tech jobs and they tend to pay less. I think it sounds like you want silicon valley however that'll probably be more expensive.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 PM

344 posts, read 833,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Sounds nuts to me. Seven or eight years? If you are that weak to weather, get out of Boston and the USA. Boston springs are great. What is great about the winter's is that we love and appreciate spring.

Ahhh. Opening Day, Marathon Monday, Saint Patrick's... And early winter is great too. I love a snowstorm during the holidays. Shopping and looking at lights with a snowfall.

If you want it warm and boring all the time, with excruciatingly hot summers, get out.
Boston springs are great?

Boston doesn't have a spring. I've lived here 10 years and every year, including the most recent, it goes from winter to summer. There's no spring. And I've lived places with a real spring like Pennsylvania so I do have context.

If you said fall in Boston is great, fine. But spring? People up here don't even know what spring is, if they've lived their whole lives here.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:21 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,245,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post

Boston doesn't have a spring. I've lived here 10 years and every year, including the most recent, it goes from winter to summer. There's no spring. And I've lived places with a real spring like Pennsylvania so I do have context.

If you said fall in Boston is great, fine. But spring? People up here don't even know what spring is, if they've lived their whole lives here.
Strange topic to resurrect an old thread for. My allergies say there's definitely a spring in MA. Average highs are 50's and 60's for about 4-6 weeks in April thru May.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:51 PM

6,274 posts, read 6,113,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post

It's better than Michigan.
It could be snowing in May and then turn hot in Michigan. Most of the "spring breaks" I had there were with heavy snow.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,541 times
Hope you got out of Boston. I left MA for Florida 5 years ago. 85 here today.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 PM

579 posts, read 319,819 times
I bet a few are younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or