U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times

Advertisements

You can have beach weather in the winter in Florida...just depends on the part you live in. That is assuming you can stand the summers.

The big thing right now is going to be you finding a job here.
Check it out on a vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 AM

5,760 posts, read 13,326,187 times
True about beach weather in southern FL during the winter. I was talking about most of the South when I said it's a misconception that you normally have beach weather during the winter. Also I was referring to the cities the OP mentioned as possibilities he might consider for moving. But yes, it's true that it's usually nice and warm in southern FL in January. That's about the only part of the South where beach weather during the winter is the norm, though.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
True about beach weather in southern FL during the winter. I was talking about most of the South when I said it's a misconception that you normally have beach weather during the winter. Also I was referring to the cities the OP mentioned as possibilities he might consider for moving. But yes, it's true that it's usually nice and warm in southern FL in January. That's about the only part of the South where beach weather during the winter is the norm, though.
I am very fond of Fort Myers and Naples area. Its on the west coast of Florida. However I don't know what the job market is like over there. I spent 2 weeks there one year, last week of December and first week of January, it was gorgeous and a really relaxing time.

Just do your research before you move. I have friends who have moved away from Mass and wanted to go back but have had a hard time returning because of the higher home prices etc. It of course depends on what field you work in and whether those jobs are easy to find.

Once you have let go over your Real Estate investment in Mass, re focused those funds or taken a lower paying job, its hard to back track.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 AM

158 posts, read 455,956 times
Fort Myers is awful. Most people here are Sox fans and head down there for a spring training game. The way you talk, it sounds like you have a vested interest.

Strip malls. After strip malls. No character. No charm. No history. No walking. No seasons. Poor food. Pood bars. Pood arts. Poor music. Poor camaraderie.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM

4,243 posts, read 5,750,664 times
Move to Cape Cod and commute to Boston. I'm looking out my window and there is no snow. Don't let weather become your primary focus. The Carolinas get ice storms that they're ill equipped to handle. As a recent transplant from Florida, I will tell you that the summers are just awful. If you're physically active or enjoy gardening, you'd have to get it all done by 8 a.m. This is not a typical New England winter snowfall. Just bear with it. Next year will be different.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM

2,944 posts, read 4,923,158 times
See ya', Jimmy! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! New England is not for everyone.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hooray, another person exaggerating about the weather in Boston.
LOL ... I particularly like the part about getting old at 30.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Fort Myers is awful. Most people here are Sox fans and head down there for a spring training game. The way you talk, it sounds like you have a vested interest.

Strip malls. After strip malls. No character. No charm. No history. No walking. No seasons. Poor food. Pood bars. Pood arts. Poor music. Poor camaraderie.
I could care less about the Sox, I don't do sports.

Not sure what you mean by me having a vested interest.

However while I don't live there, I love the place so you must concede that everyone's interests are different. You seem a little jaded to me therefore probably not the best one to listen to when looking for advice.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,946 times
Suck it up brah....Florida sucks....Im surrounded by guys who make a living working outside, and they don't cry nearly as much as working professionals whom spend there time going from conditioned space too conditioned space.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM

43 posts, read 109,945 times
I was born and raised in Arkansas, the Northeast side of Arkansas, right outside of Memphis. I have lived in New Orleans, Memphis and Mississippi and have family living in Dallas and Houston. Dallas is only 4 hours from where I currently live. Having visited Boston several times over the past year and being there for the "blizzard" a couple of weeks ago, I can tell you that I much prefer Boston to any Southern state. If you have allergies at all, the constantly changing weather and humidity will drive you nuts. Dallas in the summer is incredibly hot and so is Atlanta. It's suffocatingly hot. The closer you get to the Gulf, the more humid it will be. I would rather tough out the cold winter than deal with the heat and humidity of a Southern summer...not to mention, Southerners in general!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or