U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times

Advertisements

Your right there Jim.
For instance, Florida might have nice weather in that we don't have the snow and cold but for example if you are thinking of having kids and plan on putting them in the public school system, you will be disappointed in the choices here in Florida compared with the public school system in Mass.

From what I have been read, Texas has a better public school system then Florida as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
Florida is a great place to retire to or not raise kids in. I live in South Florida (Miami-Fort Lauderdale) and the public schools down here suk. Most of the people that I have met in their 20s who were raised down here and plain dumb. I have met girls in their 20s that live with their parents in ****ty neighborhoods, and work full-time just so they can buy plastic surgeries and a BMW convertible. People do coke and pain killers here the way people smoke pot in Boston.

You also have to drive everywhere.

There are less jobs here and the pay is less, thats why you see nice homes going for cheap.

I'm trying to move BACK to Boston. At least its a real, well-established city with good schools and jobs. People are proper and polite.

Maybe Atlanta or somewhere else in the South would be nice, but think twice before you raise kids down here.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM

158 posts, read 455,773 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
As for those 6 months of winter its more like 3

Really? 3 months, let's not exaggerate, most of us have seen snow in October and April. You can't recall snow on Halloween, Easter, St. Patricks Day, or a good old April fools day snow storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72
Land a job in those cities, then decide.

Best advice, productive, helpful, and thoughtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee
hooray, another person exaggerating about the weather in Boston.

Did I miss something? very productive post, I'm sure it was very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec
Sounds nuts to me. Seven or eight years? If you are that weak to weather, get out of Boston and the USA. Boston springs are great. What is great about the winter's is that we love and appreciate spring.

Ahhh. Opening Day, Marathon Monday, Saint Patrick's... And early winter is great too. I love a snowstorm during the holidays. Shopping and looking at lights with a snowfall.

If you want it warm and boring all the time, with excruciatingly hot summers, get out.

WOW, not sure why New Englanders would ever be considered rude
The whole thing about being able to appreciate spring because you endured winter amuses me. I poke myself in the eye every morning to remind me why I love to be able to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020
See ya', Jimmy! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! New England is not for everyone.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this one, but a little rude perhaps?!?!?!
New England is a special and unique place, and is certainly not for everyone. We welcome people from all over the world every year for school, and work. Some stay and some move on, but most of us aren't rude when you decide it is not for you.

Jimmy, life is too short. You will be gone soon enough, enjoy as much of the remaining 50 years {if the fates are with you} you have. Do the RESEARCH and find a place where YOU will be happy, and don't let these @#$% eating birds try and peck at you. Most of them are just jealous that you have the gumption to question if there is a better place for you. I knew too many of them when I lived in Southie.

Some of the responses were helpful and informative but WOW even for CD forum some responses just astounded me

P.S. RRANGER, if we share the same TAB I am surprised and embarrassed by your lack of empathy.
Pretty condescending for somehow complaining about rude people.

For starters, just because it snows doesn't mean its winter. October and April are not winter even if we get a freak snow storm. We do get about three real months of winter, stating that we get six it ridiculous.

Also, of course Boston’s seasons provide sharp contrasts and enhance appreciation of each season. There is a “buzz” in Boston that is exhilarating in spring, the type of energy you don’t find in places that are hot and warm all the time. Plus, Boston has so much to offer that time of year. Saint Patrick’s Day/Evacuation Day, Patriot’s Day/Marathon Monday, Fenway Park and opening day, Celtics/ Bruins playoffs… The many, many Restaurants and bars become open air. People put their boats back in the water. All the seaport towns like Newport, Hyannis and Portland undergo a metamorphosis. All that cooped up energy finally gets a release. People truly appreciate fresh air, sea and sun after a New England winter.

If you think you get the same thing in Dallas, Scottsdale or Tampa, either you don’t know New England that well, never lived down South or you’re not very bright.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM

196 posts, read 481,674 times
As a recent refugee from Atlanta, I can tell you that for me, at least, winter is a small price to pay for living in a city with depth, public transportation, history and culture. The only thing Atlanta has WAY over Boston is cost-of-living and access to quality groceries (that last one still stumps me--how did a cosmopolitan place like Boston end up with Shaws/Stop and Shop as the norm). As others have said, this equation plays out differently for everyone: if warm weather is what is most important to you, obviously you can do better than Boston.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
As a recent refugee from Atlanta, I can tell you that for me, at least, winter is a small price to pay for living in a city with depth, public transportation, history and culture. The only thing Atlanta has WAY over Boston is cost-of-living and access to quality groceries (that last one still stumps me--how did a cosmopolitan place like Boston end up with Shaws/Stop and Shop as the norm). As others have said, this equation plays out differently for everyone: if warm weather is what is most important to you, obviously you can do better than Boston.

I had to laugh about your Shaws/Stop&Shop comment. I have wondered about the lack of grocery store competition in the region for decades. Its the same with car insurance and its lack of competitors, although its changed a little now. Mass is nice but not the most business friendly area of the country for attracting businesses.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 80,993 times
I lived in Boston for 30 yrs, then Mississippi for 7 and just moved back to Boston 8 months ago. I am exhausted from the snow. I absolutely hate it. That being said, the south had very humid summers that were tough to deal with. Basically it went from winter straight to summer. I used to long for the fall. The southern culture is sweet. I enjoyed the friendlier people and the cost of living was great! I moved back to be closer to family. Do I regret it? Yep. It's been a miserable winter. I am so looking forward to spring! I say, life is too short to be unhappy & if you don't like 6 months of winter, go move. You can always come back!!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM

4,241 posts, read 5,747,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
As a recent refugee from Atlanta, I can tell you that for me, at least, winter is a small price to pay for living in a city with depth, public transportation, history and culture. The only thing Atlanta has WAY over Boston is cost-of-living and access to quality groceries (that last one still stumps me--how did a cosmopolitan place like Boston end up with Shaws/Stop and Shop as the norm).
Try Florida where it's Publix and only Publix with an occasional Winn Dixie. But you say it well, a city with depth, history and culture. Bravo Boston!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 16,646 times
I want out of Boston too as I hate cold weather and love the heat.

It does depend on the person. Many of the people I know love the cold winter and can't stand the heat. For me, I hate not being able to go out and take a walk because it's cold...whereas in the summer I could still go outside despite it being 90+. I do love the New England Fall weather.

I've heard San Diego has the best weather in the country (70 degrees sunny most of the year). But the cost of living is on par with (if not higher than) Boston.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM

343 posts, read 915,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had to laugh about your Shaws/Stop&Shop comment. I have wondered about the lack of grocery store competition in the region for decades. Its the same with car insurance and its lack of competitors, although its changed a little now. Mass is nice but not the most business friendly area of the country for attracting businesses.

Good news for grocery store option ... Wegmans is coming to Boston area! Way better options, ambience and prices than Shaws and StopNShop. However, they are just focusing on outlying towns for now (Westborough and Northborough stores to open in 2011) ... not sure what other towns after those over the next few years. I moved here from the Rochester area and there is no grocery store that even comes close to what they offer ... I hope that they eventually come to some towns closer in.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM

58 posts, read 148,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
LOL ... I particularly like the part about getting old at 30.
Me too. Hehehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or