U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM

6,687 posts, read 11,943,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Public transit is a huge PRO in the city of Boston and in NYC and SF, where city driving is very expensive and difficult. Using the T is almost a must in Boston.

In most cities in America, public transit isn't needed at all. Most cities don't have the congestion, parking issues, or just the stress that driving in Boston has. Driving is pretty enjoyable and easy, hence no need for public transit.

Well your in the right state for that manner of thinking. Unfortunately I think where you live South Fla, as well as the whole state is a disgrace with its traffic and lack of transit.

I've honestly wondered if many in that state and its officials purposely keep it that way. So that people will not move there, that can't afford a car or are not able to drive. Since living in Fla is about as auto dependent as it gets in an urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM

416 posts, read 1,480,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

I've honestly wondered if many in that state and its officials purposely keep it that way. So that people will not move there, that can't afford a car or are not able to drive.

Cities that have expansive public transit are, by far, the most expensive cities to live in. The cost of living in Boston is significantly higher than living in Miami/Fort Laud.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,361,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
So was I. Also, accents? Like you don't hear accents around here?
Oh yeah, I hadn't caught that. I think that disliking the accent in an area is hardly worth complaining about. Personally, I enjoy hearing the speech patterns in different places, but even if someone happens to dislike the sound of some accents, I would not consider that exactly a life-changing major negative feature of the places where those accents are heard.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Cities that have expansive public transit are, by far, the most expensive cities to live in. The cost of living in Boston is significantly higher than living in Miami/Fort Laud.
We all have our preferences, and if you prefer a less dense, wide open kind of area because you like to drive, and find driving easier in such an area, more power to you. However, I doubt that the presence of extensive public transit causes a high cost of living. Most likely, the high cost of living and the presence of extensive public transit in some cities both result from population density. The logistics of serving a high percentage of the population with transit work especially well in densely built areas, while land also comes at a premium in such areas, driving up the cost of living. Just two coincidental results of high population density.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,280,236 times
I miss Boston so much. I can't wait to be back, don't take this great city for granted. Its truely world class (but not as blown up by outsiders as say NY or LA) and blows majority of American cities I've been to out of the water.

The weather is the ONLY thing I would change, but then again, seasons are awesome

Just wait until the middle of Spring when the sun is shining and you can break out the flip flops and spend the day sitting on a park bench, sipping on Dunkin iced coffee watching people pass. You guys have it good.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,280,236 times
Quote:

yeah but the pay down here is the worst on the East Coast. There aren't as many opportunities for professionals as there are in most of the East Coast. I have made more money waiting tables than my mother has being a senior accountant at a mid-sized company. Miami/Fort Lauderdale has public transit and its some of the worst in the country. No major city in America can get away without having some type of public transport. South Florida's is so bare bones, its like they only have it to keep the masses from freaking out.

They say that in Florida, expect to get paid in sunshine (not $)

Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,559,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Just wait until the middle of Spring when the sun is shining and you can break out the flip flops and spend the day sitting on a park bench, sipping on Dunkin iced coffee watching people pass. You guys have it good.
Yeah Pear, except those years when it's still in the mid thirties in late May ....

Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Um, still mid thirties in late May? It's not THAT bad.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
running, biking, and other outdoor activities are just as hard to do in blistering hot and humid weather the South gets. you may not think shoveling is exercise, but there's a lot more you can do in the winter a opposed to a 100+ degree summer:

-snowshoeing
-cross country skiing
-skiing
-sledding (a "kid" activity, but a ton of fun!)
-ice skating
-skijoring if you have a dog inclined to pull you along

every region has its pros and cons, but I don't consider the average Boston winter a con in terms of activities to do (granted I know you guys out in Boston are getting walloped this season, but this isn't an average winter).

of course, I do like the idea of an "escape valve" or vacation home. after this past crazy winter (has experienced major snow storms in Chicago, Boston, and New Jersey), I'm ready to take a break from the white stuff for a while!
I think its a multiple choice sort of conundrum: your body's heat/cold response and circadian rhythms in tandem with personal tastes and accessibility. Forsaking personal preferences due to meteorological circumstances is personally a "surrender" (v. change) for many. Skiing is loads of fun, yet not easily accessible unless you head to NH, nor are close by trails available near Arlington, MA to make X-C or snowshoeing possible. I've tried skating, and am all ankles and can't get my heart rate up enough to make it worthwhile :-)

Living in warm climates necessitates similar "surrenders" (or change, depending on the vantage point) to make running/biking/outdoor activities work. I got up pretty early to train in both DC and Phoenix, which coincided nicely with work schedules. Most non-Alpine winter sports venues aren't lit, limiting hours to routine work time for many.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,559,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Um, still mid thirties in late May? It's not THAT bad.
I remember it happening OG. Not usually obviously, but I remember summers that would never arrive ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or